1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft: Backwards compatibility is backwards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 23 May 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

i am backwards then, it depends on the titles you look at to be fair, does many people still play fifa 09 (or other franchise of choice) possibly not, but how mach of that is due to lack of servers? I have a ps3 and numerous ps2 titles that i still play because i can't get the same game experience for the ps3 (champions of norrath/baldurs gate dark alliance series).

All this does is encourage me to wait to buy a console till it is 2 yrs old and there is a good selection of games I actually want ot play and can afford as i certainly can;t afford 3-4 premium titles. the cynic in me also says this is a way to leverage xbox arcade by offering 360 titles for download

3. justicefornone

justicefornone What's a Dremel?

Sounds like they expect people to re-buy the earlier Mass Effect/Dragon Age games then...

I'll stick with my PC I think, only play Rock Band on the Xbox anyway!

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Could they now release a emulator for those who do want to play there old games ?

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

If you have a ton of 360 games you want to play still:

a) you must have a 360 so why can't you use that
    b) why buy a new console to play old games, play the new ones

If have backwards capability increases costs of the console I wouldn't want it, am sure 90% of console owners have a tv with multiple HDMI inputs and a wall with multiple power sockets

6. October

October Mariachi Style

What happened to their one box to rule them all philosophy?

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I must be backwards - sometimes I replay games that are 20 years old or so.

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I think Sony is on the right track. Players will get nostalgic gaming urges. Having the classics available for cheap without having to pull out an old console, or trying to boot that game you used as a coaster for 10 years... Well, there's money to be made there.
    MS wants to bully you into new purchases, while Sony stays open to that mountain of Japanese independent game makers.

-It helps that Japan's internet is a lot faster, though.

9. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I think that may have been partially true for the last generation when consoles were almost guaranteed to come along every 2-3 years but the current generation is approaching 10 years and in that time people have invested a lot - they do not want to have to throw it all away.
    Anyway with all that power xbox one has surely they can get a 360 emulator running easily enough on the new hardware !

10. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Emulating a marginally less powerful previous gen console is not an option. Also why would they want to limit the new console so that a percentage can play previous gen games? I don't like consoles and will never own one but even I don't see the need to run previous gen games. If u want eggbox 360 games then keep 360.

11. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Eight cpu cores to (i believe) 3, why's it not an option ? PC's have been able to run 360 emulators for years so again why not ? given the chip in this thing is fairly new and semi-powerful by PC standards. Anyway the 360 is notorious for the red ring thing, so keeping one running may not be all that practical. Also backwards compatibility doesn't seem to have harmed any other console in history ! Just saying.

12. exceededgoku

exceededgoku What's a Dremel?

I don't need backwards compatability, but I'd only accept it if the hardware was made more powerful to compensate...

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

maybe add a cloud option - using serials from older games to make them downloadable?

14. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

They won't add in compatibility as to put it bluntly there's no money in it for them. It will be a significant amount of work creating a reliable and stable emulator or it'll cost a lot of silicon to do it in hardware. Those creating new games won't want people playing old games instead of buying the latest and greatest.

It used to be 'easy' to add in some level of backwards compatibility when the silicon was was so simple. It was easy to basically add the old chip as part of the new chip... or you kept so many calls similar.

But we've moved on from those days. Hardware is more complex, the timings much tighter, the APIs on top so much more intensive. There's so much to keep working.

15. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

A big reason I like backwards compatibility is that older hardware will eventually fail due to age and it can be difficult to find working consoles. It is also a convenience factor of not have to dig around in a closet to play an older game. The Cloud Option is a good alternative as long as the price is reasonable and maintain the library

16. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I highly doubt MS care about users playing older games, there's no money in it!

17. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I'd go with just get an emulator of some sort if you want to play old games on your "new" console. nobody has really perfected backwards compatibility on any platform, and by far MS has been really the only one who was pushing it in the past, and is even quite frankly the more or so reasons why earlier windows systems where unstable as well.

18. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

<Plays Heroes of Might and Magic III>

19. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Don't worry, I'm sure Sony will release the PS4 with a Betamax player! For nostalgia's sake!

Let's move things forward, not backwards.

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Totally different CPU architecture (Power vs. x86). Totally different GPU manufacturer. Different memory layout. Etc. It's not feasible to emulate the 360 on ANYTHING at the moment, much less the xbox one. It might be possible to convince developers to recompile binaries for the One (in the same way that the 360's 'backward compatibility' worked), but this takes effort on the developer's part.
    ********. There is no decent emulator even for the original Xbox (cxbx, dxbx and Xeon haven't been updated for years). There are DEFINITELY no functional 360 emulators (though a lot of poorly disguised scams pretending to be one).

Tags: Add Tags