1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Moving a windows license to a new machine.

Discussion in 'Software' started by dave_c, 6 Oct 2014.

1. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Hey all, I'm building a new rig using some of the parts from my old (PSU, case, Hdds, optical drives, etc). as such my old PC doesn't exist any more. Can i use the current copies of windows i already own on the new machine i.e. just transfer the license to the new machine? or will i have to buy the whole lot again?

The motherboard, RAM and CPU are all new.

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Depends wheres your COA sticker?

If on the old PC then you can only use that license with that system.

3. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

It depends if the license is OEM or retail. If your old pc was bought and had the sticker on the box, then its more than likely OEM, which is locked to the motherboard. You can phone microsoft and tell them your motherboard was faulty, and they might release the key so you can use it on the new pc.

If its a retail key, then you can reinstall on as many pc's as you want. Obviously, only one at a time.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Is this clearly defined in the UK?

I mean, if i put new internals into the same old beige box the stickers on...is it still the same box?

(In Germany the license is just that, a license, no hardware locking allowed. Microsoft doesn't like it, but it is. You're even allowed to sell your license (even though the eula states that cou can't) as the eula is per se invalind here)

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Correct if the COA is on the box then that is licensed.
    Either way OEM or Retail the COA has to be present on the system to be correctly licensed.
    OEM has around 10 or so activations I believe. Retail has no limits.
    Unless you are using MAK or Volume Licensing.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

in the UK, if it is an oem coa sticker, if you change the board, you are not licensed, you will find plenty of cases where Microsoft has dealt with shops who use the original coa on new boards and get a rough ride from Microsoft.

the only exception is a like for like replacement or as near as possible, if the original is unavailable

the difference with oem and retail are that the oem licenses the user of the end product, not Microsoft.

7. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I would try install without internet access and use phone activation. Might work, I think they ask (recording) if you only use it on one machine. Which is what I think your saying.

8. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

You should get away with reusing the license. You normally have to call MS on a number they give you after installation and they read a code to you, if you actually have to speak to a real person just tell them your motherboard died and a friend put a new one in for you.