1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Telnet under Vista (Buisness) [Fixed]

Discussion in 'Software' started by Glider, 9 Nov 2008.

1. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Being forced to use Vista for my job (don't even get me started...) I came across a weird problem...

While I have installed the Vista telnet client, and putty (of course), I can't telnet at all. It doesn't even seem to try. In less then a second I get a response that the system cannot connect to the host. In putty I get a "connection refused" warning.

It's not a firewall restriction because I have disabled it (to verify). I also installed the Vista Telnet sever, to try and telnet localhost, but still I get the same response. I'm starting to think it's some sort of Vista policy that doesn't allow unencrypted connections or something like that...

I have tried using wired and wireless connections, from various locations. All outcome is exactly the same. I am using an administrator account too, so UAC shouldn't be the problem.

Some help is appreciated!

Last edited: 11 Nov 2008
  2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

1. Open the Programs and Features Control Panel applet (Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features).
    2. Select "Turn Windows features on or off."
    3. Select the Telnet Client option and click OK.
    4. A dialog box appears, confirming the installation of new features. After installation is complete, close the main Programs and Features Control Panel applet. The telnet command should now be available.

That allowed me to use the telnet cmdline app. PuTTy works fine for me on Vista Ultimate 32bit.

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/93952/where-is-the-telnet-client-in-windows-vista.html

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

So, like I said, I installed the Windows telnet client (over and over again ;)), no avail.

4. capnPedro

Sorry, that didn't twig. It isn't exactly what I would think as being a client.

5. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Have you tried using a client other than putty?

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Tried different clients, nothing helped...

I troubleshooted a bit further and came across this (Firewall is disabled & firewall service is stopped). When I install the local telnet server (and start it), I can log on locally, both through the Vista telnet client as putty. External connections however aren't allowed.

I'm getting the feeling this is a policy restriction, but I can't seem to find anything about it anywhere...

EDIT: No policy so it seems... I imported a policy from an other PC on which telnet did work, again no avail...

EDIT2: Telnetting to localhost and 127.0.0.1 works, to the local IP of the interface doesn't... WTF is going on? Seems like telnet can't connect to the network interface somehow...

Last edited: 11 Nov 2008
  7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Ok, I feel like a n00b now... Fixed the problem...

A word of advice, always REMOVE and not simply disable Norton Internet Security on your system. It appears Norton wasn't allowing outgoing unsecure connections :s Even with Norton firewall disabled... Added an allow all rule and it's all good now...

8. capnPedro

Never allow Norton on your system in the first place!

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Tell that to my employer :D I personally wouldn't use Vista either, but that's the burden of company laptops...