1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Radeon R9 Fury X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 24 Jun 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I'm not sure what to say. Well, it is quite cool I suppose.

#awks

3. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

Looks a very nice card. I was expecting a faster sub-4k performance. That said at £510 it's at a good price point.

4. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Sadly underwhelming... was hoping AMD would pull the wool over everyone's eyes on this one.

Given lower-res results, the HBM doesn't seem to be the bottleneck, but rather the lack of sheer grunt in the card (read: clock speed).

I guess it's going to be all about the 980Ti w/ third-party cooler. Maybe we'll get a bit of downward movement on the price (one can hope).

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Very disappointing.

It may just be enough to keep AMD in the game, but TBH I think they're a dead man walking and this will be the last release of AMD's GPU division.

I expect within 18mths they'll be sold off to someone with deeper pockets.

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Looks decent enough to me.

I am planning on switching to AMD soon because I'm getting sick and tired of NVIDIA's proprietary bullcrap.

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

And pump is noisy.

8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

AsIt's performance is good and close to the GTX980Ti enough for me to say that it would be recommended by me for people who only buy AMD cards, but if someone wants the fastest single cored card then it's still going to be a GTX980Ti or Titan that gets recommended.

It's good though for AMD as they are getting more competitive with nVidia in terms of performance alone at the top end again.

I remember watching the livestream and hearing the AMD guys constantly going on about memory bandwidth and all the rest of it, and I was sat thinking to myself that they can throw all the memory bandwidth at it that they want, but if the core hasn't got enough grunt the bandwidth is just wasted and it looks like the core just isn't enough for it.

If AMD keep up at this pace then they may have a faster single cored card in about 2 or 3 years than nVidia.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Underwhelming for sure. The main reason is that regardless of the fact that this is nothing more than a reissue of older tech (albeit with HBM), this is the 'new' kid on the block and yet still only comes second.

I also hate the look of this... it looks more like an industrial piece of equipment than a high-end GPU for consumers. nVidia must be high fiveing themselves.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

At least it is direct competition for nVidia's high end, which is a good thing.

I suspect that we'll have a better idea of the relative merits of this and the 980Ti in a couple of months when the drivers have matured a bit - previously generations of cards from both sides showed considerable performance improvements as drivers improved, compared to when they were initially tested.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

So... you're basing this off of gaming results against a more expensive GPU? The Fury X might not be as compelling as we had hoped, but it's solid proof that the HBM idea works.

If there's 1 thing that really annoys me about PC enthusiasts - they strictly look at things in their own perspective. They never consider the mass population or enterprise level. The average person isn't going to buy a Fury X or GTX 980 (Ti or otherwise). AMD, to my knowledge, is doing just fine with GPGPU servers. These servers are where the real money comes in.

12. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

From my perspective, the real benefit of Fiji and HBM is the smaller form factors. I have a smaller mATX case, and I simply could not fit a 980 Ti inside. With this, however, I can get all that power and keep the case I like.

I was excited about Maxwell, because I thought it would bring significantly greater power to the lower tier cards which tend to be smaller, and to a certain extent it did, but it was ultimately a little disappointing. What AMD have here has blown me away, though. I could finally fit a top tier card in my PC and have a the potential for 4K gaming.

13. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I guess this is one of the last nails in the coffin for at least AMD GPU's, they neglected the market for a couple years then come back with this lacklustre offering, I don't think this is going to be the saviour of AMD everyone was looking for.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

looking at the only performance which matters to me - 4k , furyx is the one to have , as it can only get better with drivers

15. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

To be fair it isn't a bad bit of kit, it's pricing is competitive, it doesn't require a sub station to power it and it is viable to install in an ITX case without cooking everything around it.

Drivers will be the telling factor - I can't speak for the AMD drivers but the Nvidia drivers aren't anything to yell from the rooftops about of late.

Secondly a deciding factor will be if the potential buyer intends to go 4K, Freesync or Gsync...

Either way I applaud AMD for clawing back ground on that which had been an uneven playing field of late, competition at any level is always good for the consumer :thumb:

16. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

AMD driver support? Really?

17. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Not according to Hexus, who have concluded that on several games the 980Ti is still a better choice at 4k. The frame rate may be a tiny bit lower on a 980Ti but it is smoother.

18. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

The current crop of "Lets adapt the Nvidia drivers for each new game title release" suck in all honesty...

19. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

At the rate of which game VRAM requirements increase, you have about 18 months before the card will struggle regardless of drivers as it will hit VRAM limitation issues.

This should have been an 8GB card really.

At the price point though its only 1fps here and there behind the 980Ti which for the saving your likely to make (around 10%) makes the card the better value unit.

Most people with this card will be at 4k or 1440p, with that in mind 1440p will be killer for a good few years to come making it an ideal upgrade for many over the more expensive NVidia unit.

EDIT: just seen many sites are selling these far above "£510".. Until they hit the price that shey "should" be at the 980Ti is immensely better value.

20. DbD

DbD Minimodder

I think the card lacks balance - you get tons of cores and really high memory bandwidth but only 64 rops and 4GB of memory. Hence some times it will be really fast, and sometimes it'll get bottlenecked.

Tags: Add Tags