1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Proud owner of a GTX 680... for a day

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 30 May 2012.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Happy I was to come home and find what I thought was the box containing my Asus GTX 670 DC2. Upon opening it, I realized there was no DC2 branding on the box, and at first I thought they sent me a stock 670. THEN I saw the "GTX 680" stamp!

Turns out Newegg shipped me the wrong card. I received an open-box reference Asus 680. I uh... tested it out and it worked like a champ! I wanted to keep it. Won't lie. Their mistake, not my problem :naughty:

BUUUT at the advice of our resident Asus employee here at Bit-Tech, and my own dirty conscious, I contacted Newegg and I'm now in the process of returning this card and -hopefully- getting my 670 DC2. I'll just keep telling myself that I can OC the 670 to >680 speeds, run cooler and quieter. Besides, if this 680 is an open box return from someone else... surely there must be something wrong with it?

Oh well. It was lucky fun but I gotta do the right thing. I did keep it long enough to run some benchmarks :thumb: 90FPS AVG BF3 Ultra Op Metro 64p 1920x1080. Went from 4400 to OVER 9000! in 3DMark 11. Near about doubled my Heaven score, ran City of Heroes at full Ultra Settings no problem.

So what would you guys have done? Kept it or exchanged for what you originally ordered?

Pliqu3011 and Shirty like this.
  2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Just think, if it all goes wrong at some point you wouldn't be able to RMA the 680 as your receipt would say 670 :thumb:

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Oh Jeeeeze, thats a toughie!

To be honest, you'd have had no warranty with it, so you probably did the sensible thing anyway.

I'd have probably sent it back too...... :worried:

4. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I'd have kept it then wait for the inevitable giant kick in the crotch from the Universe's dear friend Karma

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I would have sold it and made a profit, and then bought another GTX 670... :D

6. K404

K404 It IS cold and it IS fast

Easy- i'd have sent it back :)

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I have been in this situation.

Ebuyer sent me a HIS X1900Xt (back when they were £320!). Had a play with it and it clocked fantastic and was generally superb. Only a stock card but would have been well pleased. However I figured I would have no warranty.

Rang up ebuyer and said would they do an advance replacement. No, would they let me swap the cards out for the same money, No. So They collected and I waited another week for my sapphire to come along.

The sapphire just ran stock clocks. Wouldn't overclock 1mhz.

Moral of the story is if you get a better deal keep stum they company wont thank you one bit for being honest.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Considering the GTX 670 is nearly the same speed as the GTX 680 in real world game, getting a GTX 670 in your case, would be better, as you have the warranty, and you know it doesn't have a potential issue.

9. Ronaldo 9

Ronaldo 9 Minimodder

This^

Most of these companies aren't honest with you so why should you be honest with them?
    Also even if they did have to foot the bill they messed up and it's an insignificant amount to them.

That's my 2 cent.

10. GoodBytes

Doesn't mater. There is what's right to do and not.
    Doing this, is like going to a store and steal stuff and going "Ah it's all good, It's my revenge for them for making a bit of profit on us." The point of a business is to make profit. We, the consumers, get to choose which product price, profit margin level gain by a company and quality and completeness of services that are offered by each company, to go for, by voting with out wallet. Don't like how a business does... business? Not problem, don't buy from them.

Stealing isn't the solution.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I wouldn't be in this situation anyway, since both the 680 and the 670 are a bit too rich for me price-wise... ;)

12. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

Receiving the wrong item and keeping it is certainly not comparable to stealing. Under UK law you have the right to keep them and do whatever you like with them - they are legally treated as a gift.

13. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Source please.

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

me three! having worked in banking dealing with fraud and disputes, he would be well within his rights to have kept it.

EDIT: At least thats what i used to tell people anyway. lol I think bloggins would be the best person to settle this debate.

Last edited: 30 May 2012
  15. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

Citizens Advice Bureau:

A distance sale is when you buy something without face-to-face contact. For example shopping by internet, television, mail order, phone and fax. When you shop by distance sale you have certain legal rights covering what you can do if you receive goods or services that you have not ordered or requested. These are known as unsolicited goods and services.

The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations say you have a right to keep goods delivered to you that you didn’t ask for.

If you receive goods you have not ordered, you can treat the goods as an unconditional gift and you can do what you want with them.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I saw this vid on Youtube recently where a guy got sent a box of 4 Kingston HyperX DDR3 quad channel kits instead on one... In that case I'd have kept them as you still have warrenty on one kit, run 2 kits in my machine and sold the other 2 :p

17. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Don't you have like 5 680s just littering your house at this point tg? :p

I'm not making it easy on newegg. I'm trying to argue for next day shipping on the replacement, if they say no to that I'm gonna ask for a free upgrade to the top edition.

I'm still out 2 weeks at least on my order so I'm not letting them off easy :)

18. GoodBytes

19. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

morally you did the right thing and if newegg dont compensate you then the universe will in another way.

rather that then wait for karma to get you.

back in the day keeping to your word was all people had now days its anything to get one over on the man

Fizzban likes this.
  20. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

You're confusing unsolicited goods with goods that do not match the description. There is a contract between the OP and the retailer for the supply of goods and the retailer has sent the graphics card in line with the contract. However, the retailer has sent a graphics card that does not meet the description.

The same source you quoted from, i.e. Citizens Advice Bureau, recommends returning goods that don't match the description and obtaining a refund.

Personally I would recommend contacting the retailer and advising them of their error. I would ask that they send the correct graphics card and have the courier pick up the original one at the same time.