1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA not making any games for Wii U

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 17 May 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

After what happened with wii is it any suprise? After the first couple of years only ninty were earning any thing on games.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Does not surprise me one bit. EA just wants sure sellers the wii u is not it at this moment.

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Ominous for the WiiU, Sega's Dreamcast failiure in the crucial US market was put down to EA not developing for it, instead putting all it's dev teams resources into PS2 development.

..this console is a dead man walking I'm afraid.

5. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

How to fix Nintendo....

Pokemon iOS/Android.

6. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

No real lose.

Even the Wii is outselling the Wii U for crying out loud.

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Such things are really not uncommon in the console market.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

So much wrong is being said.
    First of all, Nintendo is making money, despite the poor sales of the WiiU.
    WiiU sales are similar to the GameCube, which was a success for Nintendo, as despite being more powerful than the PS2 and failed to sales due to the lack of DVD player, and marketing power of Sony, the console didn't make Nintendo loose money on every unit sold.

Also, Nintendo can have a flop for 10 years, analysis says, before they go in the red. They can get investors, they can get a loan, and you have the owners of Nintendo, who have funds. Nintendo is well settled in, and are not going anywhere.

Sega story, is that Sega was loosing to Nintendo year after year. And Sony panics, releasing new consoles almost every year, let's not mention expensive addons like the Sega CD, and 32X. People got burned, and when the Dreamcast arrived, people said "I'll wait, because next year, Sega will probably release a brand new console". But at this time, Sega got a restructuring in managers, and stopped doing this mess.... but the damage was done. And with Sony massive Apple style advertisement force (ads on the new PS1, non stop, every commercial break practically), made people decide to wait and see the PS1, before buying the Dreamcast. When the PS1 was released, Sega, thought they had no chance due to the crazy hype level for the PS1, and pull the plug. However, if Sega didn't, they would have survived, because Sony could not sale the PS1 due to shortage of components.

Sega was out of money, out of energy, could not get loans, and lost all trust to gamers, and even a lot of it's fans before the Dreamcast lunched.

That's the difference.

For Nintendo to make games for mobile platform is stupid. Here is why:
    1- Nintendo makes more money out of 60$ games than a 1$ game.

2- Nintendo makes money on the console... not selling one, would reduce profits.

3- Nintendo is a TOY COMPANY. They used to make toys, then went to electronics (video game console) after, because that was the most profitable for them. Compare Sony vs Nintendo. PS4, is the PS3, with updated specs... the PS3 is the PS2 with updated specs... PS2 is a PS1 with updated specs. Heck even the controller is virtually identically between each console. Nintendo bring new feature to change the gaming experience that people have, over higher specs. You can call it a gimmick, like a new doll house, but it's a toy, Nintendo sees their console as a toy, and Nintendo makes money on it. Sony sees their console more as a TV video game computer sort of thing.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nintendo hasn't been a toy company for years. If you're looking back to its origins, then Nintendo was actually founded as a hanafuda card manufacturer. It also had its hands in a number of other ventures before electronic gaming took off: it ran a series of semi-successful 'love hotels' (yes, they're exactly what they sound like) made possible thanks to its ties to the Japanese mafia, launched an ill-fated TV network, heck it even produced and sold instant rice packets to make ends meet.

Nintendo has been primarily an electronic games company since the late 70s/early 80s. Yes, they've done other things - but to call them a toy company is extremely inaccurate.

As for the sense of selling mobile games versus console games, there's an interesting little graph here that shows how mobile gaming spend is absolutely annihilating traditional hand-held gaming spend. Sure, you make more profit selling one $60 over one $1 game - but the equation soon changes when you're selling 10 million $1 games to 10 thousand $60 games...

Last edited: 17 May 2013
  10. GoodBytes

Video game console is a toy.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Its an entertainment device surely?

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Would that not mean that Sony and Microsoft - and, once upon a time, Sega - are also in the business of making toys, just like Nintendo?

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

EA and Nintendo's unprecedented partnership, we're circling the drain together!

I don't think either will actually go down said drain, but the last couple of years (and probably the next couple too) will stand as a nice monument to the danger of believing your own hype.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Does not really matter what we think the facts are its not selling EA have dropped support end of discussion really.

The only thing open to discussion is if other major developers will follow. As they might assume that if EA can not make it work why should we.

Success is a term last i checked nintendo were just above break even ($46million profit) for the last quater compared to a $300million loss the quater before. The 3DS and Wii U were heavily blamed for the loss the quater before due to high price points on both. After prices were dropped nintendo made a profit again.

If they make 50mil profit for the next 2 quaters gives them a year to date loss of $200million not exactly wonderful.

Wii U official sold figures are 3.45million units as of 24th april 2013 as provided by nintendo. the 3ds has broke 30million and is seen as the main reason why they have gone back into a profit. Theres alot of figures been branded about but i trust nintendos figures more than some wierd site that has no clue.

15. Gareth Halfacree

("Bandied about," not "branded about." Sorry, pet peeve.)

One thing to be careful of when a company offers 'sales' figures: they're never actually 'units sold,' they're 'units shipped.' The difference: a 'unit shipped' is a box going into the supply chain, i.e. being 'sold' to a retailer like Asda, Tesco, Game, Amazon, whoever. It's then up to the retailer to actually sell the item to an end-user - in the biz, this is known as 'sell-through.' When Nintendo says it has 'sold' X million units, it means it has provided X million units to retail customers. These units will sit in its customers' warehouses across the world, until they're actually sold-through.

If they don't sell through? They get sent back to Nintendo for a refund, if the contract allows.

It's a clever piece of phraseology that can make a big difference: we already know that the channel has a glut of Wii U units, as Asda and others wouldn't be knocking £100 off the RRP if they weren't desperate to clear some space. Thus the interesting figure would be units sold-through, not units 'sold.' Sadly, that's a figure Nintendo doesn't fancy sharing.

16. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I've always likened a console to a childs play thing... ergo, a toy!

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's dying a death, despite what GoodBytes thinks.

Nintendo have slashed sales targets, which is clearly an indicator of poor demand and ultimately profit. Publishers are pulling out all over the place, not just EA, as there isn't the user base to actually generate enough sales of the games to make back development costs. After all, taking the recent example of Tomb Raider, selling 3+ million copies wasn't enough to make money, yet that equals nearly the entire worldwide user base of the WiiU, and you will never sell a game to everybody (exception: Wii Sports).

Secondly, money. The WiiU was £299 for the 32GB + ZombiiU bundle on launch in the UK, or £249 for the 8GB base model. At those prices, Nintendo lost a few pennies, making that back as soon as you purchased a single title. Today, retailers are slashing prices in the UK, with it falling as low as £149 for the 8GB model. Nintendo aren't losing pennies at that price, they're losing significant amounts of money, and so are the retailers trying to clear inventory. You can't argue that every WiiU sold is money in Nintendo's bank, because it simply isn't the case.

Nintendo are being kept afloat by the success of the 3DS, simple as that. The WiiU is being sold on promises of future games...all of which are pretty much first party at this point. No wonder they're having problems shifting units. The Wii had exactly the same problem, with only first party games being the worthwhile titles, but had the advantage of massive publicity and word-of-mouth, whereas the WiiU has none of this - or even confusion as parents don't understand that it is a new console.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

posted this about 2 months ago lol when crisis 3 was canned , and goodbytes then replied about EA and Nintendo not getting along thanks to Nintendo saying NO to origin on the Wii U.

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Why would that make a difference? Sony are never going to allow Origin on the PlayStation, nor are Microsoft on the Xbox. EA know the score with consoles - curated stores from the manufacturer, nothing else.

If GB was correct, EA would have exited the console market entirely.

20. GoodBytes

Correct, but Microsoft and Sony are not seeing it as a toy. Microsoft is seeing the next XBox as a Media Center computer. And Sony as a TV computer type of thing.

The same way you are seeing game console as an entertainment device, and like you can see it a decorative item in a room.

I am at work now, but Nintendo has a Nintendo Direct coming up, or already released.

Devs are not pulling out of the WiiU. It's that the system is not selling because Nintendo selling and marketing strategy failed. One point that Nintendo made BEFORE the WiiU was released, is that they decided to not have any blockbuster WiiU first party games to steal the show out of third party games, to help third party devs. I KINDA see what Nintendo was thinking, but ultimately they forgot that you need a block buster game to sale the console... INCLUDED with the system. I guess they hoped that Nintendo Land would be such title, as you have a "taste of everything" kinda of approach (a bit of zelda, metroid, mario kart battle mode, etc) But, sadly it didn't. But then again, who would know. I bet 100% of you, would have said that Wii Sports was crap, yet it ended up being the system seller game.

So, Nintendo screwed up. And the rushed release of the WiiU, didn't help for first impression.

The system will pick up sales. Pikmin 3, the 2x Zelda games, Mario Kart, Super Smash brothers, Metroid, Paper Mario, Donkey Kong, are all system sellers. Add StarFox, F-Zero, GoldenSun, and Fire Emblem, and WiiU will be very strong competitor to the other console. Will be 1st place? No. I don't think so, close 3rd position is what I expect.

Also, Nintendo selling the Dev Console at SUPER cheap price (2500$ only), with full support, no office required, and any game updates are free and selling fees are the lowest. And HTML5/JS support (kinda like what Windows 8 supports for doing ModernUI apps). Nintendo seam to do everything is can, to be the best indie game platform.

So, the WiiU has a lot of hopes in their hands. And Nintendo has a lot of cards in their hands.
    Hence why I don't see the WiiU being a flop.

At a personal level, I don't have a gaming console now of this coming up (and already released) gen, I am waiting to see what all 3 companies has to offer. But let's say, that I get a WiiU. I have my PC to play all my EA published games. And I am sure, others will get a second console in any case.

Many had the XBox 360 or the PS3, and bought a Wii just for Nintendo games, or the reverse, or like me, had a PC to complement their console. Some have the XBox 360 and the PS3.

There is no law, that says you have to pick 1 console and you are stuck with it for 6 years.

Tags: Add Tags