1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by jrs77, 2 Dec 2013.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 8 Jan 2018
  2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I hope they have learned some of the lessons of GT5 - it took them a very long time to get it to a decent state. By that I mean sorting out the interface, which was unwieldy to begin with and allowing you to 'save' long races (no-one actually really wants to race for 24 hours - although I did it once!).

Also, I hope they have done more work on the crash/damage model. Although I liked the physics in GT5, the crashes and damage were always a bit poor.

I hope they have retained the ability to play your own music while you race - I loved that - although I hope they have added music controls in game while you drive - this I would have liked to see during long races especially.

As for the cars, there were rather a lot of 'ordinary' Japanese cars in GT5, an although I did quite enjoy racing in ordinary saloons from time to time, there were just far too many of them. On that note, I hope that this time they all have high definition cockpits.

I actually really did like GT5 by the end, but even so I found it slightly less 'exciting' than the Forza series on the 360. I never really got the full feeling of speed in GT5 and I can't put my finger on why.

GT6 is on my wishlist - I am hoping someone will spot it before Santa sets off on his rounds!

3. rollo

rollo Modder

gt has never been about a damage model and its not entirely just from a manufactures point of view either. EA pays millions to get the cars in there need for speed games so they can damage them and even then theres no performance penalty on those cars.

GT does not pay for the cars from what has been said in the past wether this is still true or not I have no idea.

Forzas damage model is awful anyway makes no real sence if you hit a car on the right hand side you can damage the left side its like wtf lol. Played every forza and gt game still prefer gt.

Have GT 6 Aniversary edition on pre order will keep me ocupied for a while.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I have had every GT but I played this one at Eurogamer and it felt like nothing had changed, I was a bit disappointed, same bumper cars, same audio for engine/brakes/tyres etc, rumour has it there will be a big day one patch that might address a few things but didn’t seem to move on from GT5, I will wait for PS4 version, or perhaps buy this cheap in 6 months.

Perhaps my taste has chnaged, as I found both Forza5 and GT6 yawn worthy but enjoyed NFS:Rivals. :eeek:

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I was hoping they'd do something about my biggest bug-bears with GT5, but I'm not convinced.

The sound of the demo was still boring, the menu system was still a bit clunky, and it'll inevitably suffer from too many paid-for packs of interesting cars (and huge, non-optional updates to download for non-payers too).

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Enjoying need for speed rivals myself its fun game.

7. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

You don't have to pay for extra cars/tracks in rFactor? I installed a WEC 2012/2013 mod last night lots of shiny new cars, decent physics, graphics are nowhere near GT quality but the perfectly fine imo. After GT3 I found the series boring, tot he point where I didn't even realise 6 was due!

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that dream for a driving/racing game, like, exactly the same idea.:thumb:

9. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Hopefully this version will actually be fun!

GT5 was probably the most boring game that I have ever played.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'm pretty glad it's on PS3, it wouldn't have been enough to sell a PS4 for me. I'll probably pick this up, didn't know it was coming out so soon. I'm not very fussy about racing games.

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Pokemon with cars, after GT5 and its "AI" i'll give this a miss.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Never paid alot of attension to the AI in most racing games. Need for speed rivals its more fun to just drive around then it is to do any of the actual events.

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Anyone had a go at this yet? Tried picking it up just after midnight while I was already out but no game stores were open and Walmart didn't have it.

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I picked it up a couple days ago. Currently working on getting my S License. So far pretty happy with my purchase.

Pros:
    -Much improved menu from 5. Easier to navigate, and much easier to access your cars.
    -Huge number of cars in the dealership, and I like that the pricing seems to try to reflect real world pricing more for road cars.
    -Far more races, with more variety than 5. More MR/FF/FR/Turbo/NA type races, night races, rain races, reminds me of GT3.
    -Even more tracks, and more variety in tracks. There's much more of a vertical element in many of them, not just in dedicated hillclimb.
    -Race restrictions are a bit less exploitable since all carry PP and tire limits.

Cons:
    -The AI is still crap. And the devs know it's crap. As much as I hate using the phrase, it strikes me as artificial difficulty. A typical race in iB level or higher is a 16 car rolling start from 14th position. It's less racing, and more "can you overtake 13 cars in 4/5 laps?".
    -Anniversary edition largely removes the need to buy cars. A good driver could get by with the R18 TDI all the way to S License, though it's pretty slow for the pre-req race.
    -Still doesn't seem possible to mix personal playlists with in game sountrack. It's either/or.

Playing online with friends is the biggest factor for me, which I have yet to try. Not expecting it to be changed much.

EDIT: Something that came to mind, even without the anniversary cars, credits don't seem to be an issue. I know some people might be keen on this, after all the fuss about the "130EUR/200USD car". Something like a 2,000,000Cr car doesn't seem to take any longer to save up for than it did in GT5.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2013
  15. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Sloth - this may seem a strange question, but can you control the music while driving (pause, skip etc?). The fact you couldn't do this, believe it or not was one of the things that annoyed me most about GT5!!

Shame about the AI - maybe with the power of the PS4, they will eventually be able to model a better AI field of drivers.

Are all the cars High Definition?

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

There's no music control while driving. Didn't even think of that, would be nice to have.

I will say that they aren't all high def. There's no Premium/Standard split, and the vast majority seem high def, but I have found one low def car, the Tommykaira ZZII. More unique/non-production/concept cars might be the same.

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'm gonna cave and buy this, it's been generally reviewing well.

18. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

overall i would say this is a good game but gt5 is better imho. no b-spec is a big minus for me, but the new tracks are brilliant to learn. also the bonus for using a less pp car has gone which is a shame, eg using a 250 pp car in a 400 pp race would gain lots of exp and money.
    for me they need to nerf/ammend the pp system in gt6 because i just used a honda s2000 in an ia series, and beat a ferrari fxx
    overall the improvements in driving physics are great, the new tracks are great, but i am left wanting more.

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Put a few hours into this as I have had some time off, loving it, pretty much same old gran turismo flaws with regards to Ai and races meaning like jrs77 you have to spice it up your self but it still plays great and has some nice highlights the transitioning of the weather/day and night etc is really good, I really enjoyed all the goodwood challenges, taking the red bull prototype up there, so fast, the missus thought I was going to have a heart attack the amount of effort I was putting in on the wheel/pedals a hard won hillclimb :) made a few mistakes reckon I could crack 27seconds though I probably will have a heart attack trying :D

online seems heaps improved over when I last played GT5 (some time ago I must admit) it seems a lot fairer.

Took my PC apart on the 22nd to beef up the water system, its still in bits this has pretty much swallowed my playtime :hip: poor PC and the also forgotten PS4 :D

If they could balance the AI/PP system better it would be a cracker, it just seems too easy to win, very little competition outside of online. Its also a shame there aren't more friends leaderboards in there would be good to compete against their times in more than just the licenses as I am happy enough to just race against the clock to be honest, its what I do when I actually compete, its enough for me.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2014
  20. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

amazon had this for $39 last week so i ordered it. not sure which edition it was. we'll see when it gets here. idgaf about the damage model as it sucked and was useless in gt5. don't bother having it if you're not going to do it right.

i just really need to get a wheel. not sure if i should be saving up for a g27 or if i'll be satisfied with a driving force gt?