1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with old Xeons?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by rubadub, 28 Jul 2009.

1. rubadub

rubadub What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

I've got a pair of Xeon CPUs - 2.4GHz, low voltage, engineering samples. They will overclock to about 3.4GHz with a voltmod.

Basically I'm getting rid of the rig and I don't know what to do with them. I broke the motherboard a while back (well, I presume it's the motherboard - whatever it is it won't boot) and the rig has been lying around gathering dust. It just seems a shame to bin them... OK I'll admit it - I'm rather attached to my old hardware!

Do you guys know if there is any call for this sort of old hardware anymore? Is it worth putting them on ebay or am I just wasting my time? Should I call it a day and bin them along with the rest of the rig? (OCZ Powerstream 520W PSU, PCH-DL mobo (broken?), CM Stacker case, CPU and northbridge water blocks + 2x120mm radiator and pump etc, Plextor PX-716A optical drive (I might keep), 74GB Raptor HDD). I took out the RAM and Graphics card a while back and put them in my other rig.

BTW I'm an old member of the CPC/PCPro forums if anyone's wondering. :thumb:

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

What model number Xeons?

Might be interested.

3. rubadub

rubadub What's a Dremel?

4. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

If your otherwise gonna bin the stuff would you be willing to donate the PSU so i could get this 8800GS 384MB I Picked up folding for the team? :D
    PSU i've currently got is a generic 400w :worried:
    Happy to recycle it :)

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

They're a few generations old as they're socket 604 but if you want to get rid of them let me know.
    They're not going for much on ebay but I might have a board that needs them.

6. rubadub

rubadub What's a Dremel?

Right i've just got the mobo working! I think the problem was a short circuit - I found a strand of very fine wire/dust on the PCB that looked suspiciously like the wire I used in the volt mod. Cleaned it off, put it all back together and just got into the BIOS! Great! :D

Now that it's all working again I might keep it. :idea: