1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL eBay bidding

Discussion in 'General' started by DaveVader, 3 Sep 2010.

1. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

While drunk wakes you up with a £250 hangover!

Bugger!

Just bid on a 1275cc A series engine for my mini and (mistakenly) won it!

I wanted a 1275 as the plan is to stick in on Megajolt and run it with bike carbs (Yamaha R1 if I can find 'em) but I would have liked to have seen the engine before hand.

Luckily it's only 30odd miles away but that doesn't make the £250 any better!

linky

Bargain for ebay standard.
    Hopefully will be a bargain in normal standards. Will spend a bit of money on it but should be good as is. I hope :duh:

Feel free to lol your socks off at me!

2. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

Well, we've all been there. I still have a number of '99 proliant servers clogging up my garage.

Damn you ebay and your lack of a breathalyser attachment for bids commencing at 2 in the morning!

3. K

K 528491

Yep, been there before! Stormtrooper helmet...

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yeah a mate bought a mp4 player for 99p and then noticed the post was £15 LOL was he sick.

5. DaveVader

Well, I contacted the bloke arranging picking it up so I'm not chickening out of it.
    Worst comes to worst I can stick it on ebay for £250 but I'm hoping it's a sound engine ready to be rebuilt with a few goodies!

6. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

Well at least it's something you were in the market for.

7. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I had an obsession with projectors (2003 era) and bought a borked one with problems to begin with. Worst $500 mistake ever. Ended up needing a controller and what not, gave it away later on...

I did get a infocus DLP later and still have it.

At least you know its something that works (hopefully lol)

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I don't understand the problem? eBay's got you covered.

Or do you not want the engine? In that case you can ask the seller to file a mutual cancellation, that way he gets his fees back.

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I do that sort of thing all the time. And I don't drink...

Usually it's small, cheap stuff, though. :)

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Don't bid while drunk... :nono:

I'm Dutch, so I am cheap (the only way to get a drink out of a Dutchman is to stick your fingers down his throat). I think carefully about a reasonable maximum price, bid it and walk away lest I get tempted. I have had some real bargains slip by for the want of a tenner that way, but never felt I overpaid for something.

11. DaveVader

When bidding normally, I will make a decision of how much I want to spend and never go over that.
    I try to never get "bidding fever"
    But, I was the one and only bidder yesterday! haha

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I've cheezed out from one bid due to very poor timing (got similar parts for free) and it was OK with the seller. Frankly I do think I am and atleast have been a major enough cock to do that if something comes up. And even more so if I'm the only bidder. i.e. without my stupid bid the seller wouldn't had it sold anyway.

But kudos to you for going through with it. And as soon as you find an alco-lock for social media sites, let me know!

13. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Problem with engines and gearboxes that once there out of the vehicle there's not much you can do to test them/check them over without dismantling them so it won't make a huge amount of difference if you had gone to see it.

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Doesn't look suspect to me, looks like you've got yourself a bargain.

Just down the road from me, :D.

We got a pair of Dellorto 40s off ebay for £69, :D, then had to spend £150+ on jets for them.
    Still worked out cheaper than buying brand new, :D.

I won a 16GB microSD card for £7.50 on ebay a while ago, had been bidding on loads of them from Hong Kong, turned out mine was a fake (and I assume all the others were) and it was really a 2GB card that had been hacked to display as 16GB, I thought I was all right when I bought it as the seller had 8k feedback.

15. DaveVader

I'm hoping you're right.

The thing with 1275s is that they are pretty hard to source, most on ebay are ridiculously expensive and so I'm hoping that the £250 is quite bargainous! (yep, new word) I was going to buy a metro, and strip the engine then decide what to do with the left over car so I suppose this is better.

It will also be quite a learning curve as I don't know much about engines so will have to do some serious reading. Once it's done it should provide a little more power than my lowly 998!
    I don't want too much though as I'm only 19 (will be 20 when the car is done) so need to think of insurance.

Thinking of sticking in a hot cam, some different rocker gear and (the reason I bought it) going to attempt to whack it on bike carbs. I'll let you all know how it goes when I pick it up!
    Pictures and everything.

16. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Sounds nice.

I'm currently looking for a Mini. I was going to get one for my first car, but I didn't fit very well, so I got a fiesta instead. I'm on my second fiesta and have gotten bored with it.

I'm 20 now, with 3 years NCB and have found insurance on a 1992'ish mini to be about £400, lightly modified it goes to £600. A 1998 cooper is about £700.

17. DaveVader

Yeah, do it!
    The most fun you can have without taking your clothes off (unless you wanna drive naked) I may even have one for sale soon.
    My personal preference is to get a carb'd engine. If it's well maintained you wont have any cold start issues, they're more tweakable and sound a little better.
    Want any help just PM me.

18. DaveVader

The engine has landed!
    Not had any time to look over it properly yet but it looks like it should be a damn good base!

Just need to find somewhere local who does rebores now... :D :dremel:

19. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

There's Exxon racing in coalville, but thats probably a little too far for you.

I think theres actually quite a few companies around, usually in little back alleys, which are still doing work like this for the older engines. Just got to find a decent one, :D

20. DaveVader

That's the thing, I'll ask some people I know.
    Thinking of going 1380 (which will be an offset rebore with little wiggle room) and got loads of ideas going round in my head!
    Looking at Turbos, Webbers, bike carbs, twin SUs... really surveying all my options but I have a while to decide. Not going to start stripping it down for a while yet. The 998 might get a little rebuild before it goes back in in fact.