1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Dropped Laptop! Need to fix bad LBA blocks

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Picky88, 16 Dec 2010.

1. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

My flatmate dropped his laptop, while it was running. It appears to freeze occasionally, so I did an error scan with HD Tune pro and it has found about 200 damaged blocks, all near the same place. Is it possible to either fix the blocks or tell the computer to avoid those blocks, without formatting the drive? we have only just installed windows 7.

The drive also fails a Drive Self Test, and makes a louder than normal clicking noise when accessing the damaged blocks. It does pass a SMART test however. Is the drive physically damaged or will a low level format solve the problem?

Cheers,

Last edited: 16 Dec 2010
  2. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Enter the commend line. Start > run > command.
    Type: chkdsk /f
    Failing that, type: chkdsk /r
    Tell us how it goes.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2010
    thehippoz likes this.
  3. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

chkdsk /f went through with no errors. chkdsk /r rebooted, and its taking a very long time, but it is picking up bad clusters and and replacing them, so I think we are in the clear. I will do the HD tune test afterwards to be sure.

Cheers!

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Probably the read/write hradt making contact to the tinist of moments, and damaging the platters... Bad times.

5. padrejones2001

Chkdsk will take what feels like an eternity. I usually just set it and forget it. Chkdsk /r rebooted because it needs to lock the disk, but it's nothing to be worried about.

6. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Yeah the chkdsk took a long time, and replaced a few clusters. The HD tune pro test still shows the errors, but I dont know if system will still attempt to use the bad sectors?

7. padrejones2001

As far as I know, it shouldn't. Windows actually keeps a list of bad clusters, presumably so that the OS won't write to them.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i'd be tempted to clone the hd and replace it with a new one.

when you damage the disk, you will likely damage the heads as well, making it less reliable.