1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics The pins *inside* the ATX motherboard lead on a powersupply....

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Tech-Daddy, 28 Jun 2010.

1. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Yeah, eye catching title.... I know.... ;)

Was sleeving my PSU this weekend, and got to the very last freakin pin, and it snapped in half upon reinsertion. Was perfect up until that point.

Anyone know the proper part number designation for replacement pins for the inside of the "mini fit"/24 pin power supply connector?

Thanks in advance...
    -=TD

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

3. Tech-Daddy

;)

excellent, thank you!

headed over to the local electronics shop tonight, and try to locate this part...

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

5. Tech-Daddy

Thank you Stone! I've already got a crimper, and I'me very familiar with the 4 pin molex style male and femail pins, I've just not had any exposure to the motherboard header pins. Would like to purchase the correct ones the first time! ;)

Thanks for the linkage!

notatoad likes this.
  6. Tech-Daddy

I have to wonder if those are the right female pins... the ones inside the PSU connector are almost like a "D" laying on it's side with the flat part on top, and the curve at the base...

Still looking to be sure...

Did not find an exact match @ my local electronics shop....
    -=TD

7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

The D shape just makes them easier to insert into the power socket. I have an El-Cheapo PSU here and the pins are true squares so it should work OK.

Hit up that Molex.com link and click on Request Samples. If you ask for half a dozen pins, put your company name as PC-Modderz Inc. or something and choose First Class Mail for shipping, there's a good chance they'll ship some out to you for free.

It's slightly dishonest maybe, but it's up to their discretion whether they send out $0.05 worth of free samples in the end.

8. Tech-Daddy

ya know.... it's sad when I buy these little buggers several years ago on a "just in case" type of purchase... only to forget about themwhen I need them.

Well, thankfully I remembered, and I pulled htem out of my PSU repair kit stash in the garage, and voila!

:wallbash::duh::wallbash::duh:

Problem resolved! ;)
    Thanks for the replies!