1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Do you trust the pill?

Discussion in 'General' started by boiled_elephant, 7 Aug 2011.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Just to disclaim: I dislike those way-too-personal, too-much-information, "fix my life, anonymous internet community" threads that have been appearing as much as anyone. I'm not here to discuss my sex life or anything like that, don't worry.

I just wanted to do an impersonal sweep of opinions, among those to whom it's relevant: do you trust the pill?

I never really worried about it in the past, but I keep hearing anecdotes about people who were supposedly on it who still got pregnant. I try to assume these people are just imbeciles who forget to take it on time, but part of me worries that they might not be. So is there a realistic risk? What's the word?

(it's not The Bird, shut your mouth)

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Anyone that manges to get pregnant on the pill is probably not using it properly. It should be used at the 'same-time' everyday as far as humanly possible, any doc/nurse will tell you it needs to be taken very regularly to have the optimum effect - as long as this is done it'll be fine.

On a personal note I've had several long term partners with whom I've had regular sex over the last 10 years, every single one has used the pill almost exclusively (obviously in a new relationship you should take extra precautions for a while), no scares so far!

Bottom line - there's a small chance it could go wrong even if used correctly...just as there's a small chance you'll crash your car tomorrow, stop worrying about it and leave me some rep :p

boiled_elephant likes this.
  3. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

As far as i'm aware the pregnancy rate for someone using the pill 'perfectly' is something like 0.3-0.4% and the only things which provide a lower rate are the implantable contraceptives or sterilisation.

4. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

^ this man speaketh the truth. Birth control pills, when used properly, are very effective.

5. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

yep 100%

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the pill like all preventative measures is not 100% effective

people taking the pill have to be aware that if they are on antibiotics or any other medication, that they don't normally take, they should use other protection as well as the pill or abstain from sexual activity.

oh and the extra protection should continue for a couple of weeks after the last dose of medication

7. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Get that idea out of your head, no contraceptive is 100% effective.

The only thing that is 100% effective is not doing the deed.

End of.

3lusive likes this.
  8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

[​IMG]

Kylevdm likes this.
  9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Thus far from a range of partners, there have been some on the pill, some who insist on both condoms and the pill and currently someone who has the implant and to this day (*touch wood) nothing has occured.

If you're in a more stable relationship or a far more regular & mutually exclusive arragment, then the pill should be enough to prevent pregnancy. If it's a bit more loose than that, always carry a condom or two. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

As others already said, it's not 100% and there is always the small chance that your lady may get pregnant. The chance is small, but it is there. Even with condoms, there is a chance.

Like Tarka said, the only 100% guaranteed method of non-pregnancy is no sex, but where's the fun in that? :D

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

If you don't get the reference, get out!

11. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I will say that I do not trust it, just like I don't trust IUDs. I always use a condom even when the gal on the other end is on the pill or has an IUD. To me it just makes more sense to continue to reduce the risk as much as possible.

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

What should also be stated here in addition to the prevention of pregnancy is that the pill does NOT help against STI contraction/spreading, so if ANY of you have doubts or qualms, or even just have common sense, wear a condom.

Damn pain that they're exceedingly expensive in Ireland.

13. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

In my humble opinion, if you really want to be sure, she must take the pill and you must use a condom. If she use the pill and the guy dont use a condom, well do not whine out loud if a badluck happen.

14. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Pill + condom. The pills here in Denmark is only 5£ for 3 months worth. It's cheaper than condoms ...

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Even that's not enough..

A friend at work got his wife pregnant even with a condom and she was on the pill. Sometimes it just happens.

But yes, I trust the pill enough to not use a condom.

16. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

You do realise the risk of pregnancy when using a condom is higher than the risk from using the pill or an IUD? Obviously using them both at the same time reduces the risk even lower but it seems a little silly to trust condoms when you don't trust the pill or IUDs.

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

It's more a question about whether or not you can trust the person who take the pill. "Oops, I forgot." :duh:

18. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Bingo.

It is not that I don't trust the pill, I just don't trust the person taking it since this situation has happened and boy was I glad I was wearing a condom.

as for IUDs, I have just had bad luck with them shifting in the gal during sex. It is not a fun experience for anyone.

19. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Peoples make me laugh, they only think about 'Babies'.... A condom is like a bulletproof jacket, even if she take the pill.....it doesnt mean that she is clean !

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder