1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other BSOD - kernel-power error 41 (63)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by phinix, 4 Jan 2015.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Guys, I have a newly built HTPC and getting randomly blue screens and after reboot system event viewer shows kernel-power error, event id 41 (task cat 63).

I read about it on the net that it could be power issue - so I swapped PSU to different one and still getting those errors. Checked 4pin cpu cable, mobo 24pin cable, all good.
    Ran memory check, no errors.

All hardware installed with drivers, no errors in device manager.

Build:

4GB RAM Team 4GB single stick
    Celeron G1820 s1150
    MSI mITX H81 mobo
    SSD ScanDisk 64GB for OS + 1TB storage HDD
    onboard gpu with allocated 1GB from RAM
    WIFI USB stick
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Symantec Endpoint

Any more ideas?

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

A couple of things I do know about this is for some reason it seems more common on machines running windows 7, but that could just be coincidence. Whether its the way it controls power delivery through the mobo I'm not sure. Try a new kettle lead to the pSU and if you're using a surge protector remove it. You seem to have covered most things, it could possibly the mobo thats on the way out.

Daft as this sounds, try underclocking and running and running with the lowest voltage to the cpu that you can get away with. I done this on a PC once before to test a theory which proved to be correct because as soon as I overclocked it the problem became worse. Which meant it was the mobo on the fritz.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks, I will try new cable and get rid of protector and see if that helps.
    Need to find a way to change RAM voltage, this could be the case too, but last time I checked I couldn't find an option on that BIOS.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Are your temperatures OK, any suspicious events logged before the event id 41 ?

5. creative

creative 500rwhp

how random.... I have just starting getting these on a computer I have cobbled together out of parts I have.

I was also suspecting the PSU but havent got another to try it with.

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Temps are fine, but need monitor it myself, this is my daughter's PC and every time it happens she tells me that like 10 minutes after:) I guess I will need to sit on it and keep an eye on coretemp.
    I'll check for other events too.

Say 1-2 times per hour, average. Sometimes it can be a round of 4 BSODs in a row in few minutes, but that happened only two times in last 2 weeks.
    It depends - I think there is something that triggers it - maybe some moments when system takes lots of power. Sometimes it runs fine whole day.

7. creative

creative 500rwhp

I have found its when the computer is left for any period of time running idle. Temps are ok but it only does it occasionally. will have to monitor it a bit more I think.

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Right, last thing I changed on that PC was to set RAM voltage, from auto to 1.5.
    My daughter didn't mention anything so I believe so far this error didn't come back.
    Will report back if it happens again, fingers crossed:thumb:

9. buchanan0204

buchanan0204 What's a Dremel?

How's it looking, 5 days on?

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I'm not 100% sure if that helped.
    When my daughter plays Minecraft, game crashes randomly, once a day, during 2-4 hours gaming sessions. I looked at the Minecraft report but it didn't tell me anything. At least there is no BSODs. Maybe that's just a game, don't know.
    I'll keep an eye on this - it may take longer time cause she has restricted time for games:) Too much hours spent on PC and ipad, we need to keep her away from screens, her eye sight is getting worse.