1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Utility Warehouse Broadband

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Skyphox, 14 Jan 2015.

1. Skyphox

Skyphox What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I have been a Virgin Media customer for many, many years and been very happy. (I pay for 120mbit, I get 126mbit consistently) I am about to move house, sadly, and much to my annoyance, the new house is not in a Virgin Media area. :wallbash:

I am looking at Utility Warehouse broadband, but am wondering if anyone here currently uses them and if they could answer a few questions.

I am interested in what kind of speeds you get, but more importantly, can the router they supply you with be bridged so that I can use my current router. (Brand new ASUS one that just has a ethernet 'IN' port, used to cable modems usually) I do not want to use their standard router.

Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if you don't want to use the supplied router, you can get yourself a draytek vigor 120 modem, which you can plug in and set your asus to use PPoE with your uw broadband details, no other setup required

Skyphox likes this.
  3. Skyphox

Skyphox What's a Dremel?

That's genius, thank you!

I assume Utility Warehouse will have no issue with this. I have heard companies like Sky lock it so you HAVE to use their router/modem.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

sky is the exception, most others will allow you to use your own equipment, but they may not support it

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Utility warehouse is basically a pyramid selling scheme - don't let them get their claws in and brainwash you!

6. Skyphox

Skyphox What's a Dremel?

Oh one last question. Does this work with fibre optic or adsl only? If not, is there a fibre optic version?

7. Skyphox

Skyphox What's a Dremel?

I don't care if they are aliens from Mars planning to suck my brains out! I want fast Internet! Hehe

8. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

From what I recollect Utility Warehouse do offer a fibre option, but it is similar to Sky in that it is FttC (fibre to the cabinet).

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

its adsl only if you are getting vdsl you will need a vdsl modem to do something similar I use hg612 v3 with modified firmware.

I've just read that there is a draytek vigor 130 coming which is adsl/vdsl it hasn't been released yet, but is due around the end of january

Last edited: 14 Jan 2015
  10. Skyphox

Skyphox What's a Dremel?

Do you know of any providers that do Fibre to the Premises in the UK?

11. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

you wait, you'll be striving to sell enough to get your own mini cooper in no time at all :D

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Yes - but it depends on your budget! Some are business-grade, and VERY expensive!

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

bt can provide fibre to the premises but you have to pay the cost of installing the fibre, and it is only in certain areas at the moment

this write-up is last January but may give you an answer-ish.

I currently get around 70-74mbps on both my vdsl lines

14. Skyphox

Skyphox What's a Dremel?

WAAAHHH I want my Virgin Media back!!!

Thanks for the info guys. I have just been told that you get a separate line to the premises, with a modem (openreach) and router. It was suggested that connecting any router in place of their own will work (with a few tweaks). I may give the tech line for this a call, I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with them before I did.