1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone SX600-G 600W PSU Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 16 Jan 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It's a lovely unit, no doubt about it. But I worry that 600W is overkill for the types of systems that will necessitate a SFF PSU.

I run an OC'd 3770K and 980 and I don't even get up to 350W when benching.

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

A 295x2 might want to have a word with you. It's a big card, but still possible for an SFF build.

4. Shirty

There are potential scenarios where one might try to cram a dual GPU beast into a small space, but those have to be few and far between? As in, hundreds of times a year across the world. I'd be uncomfortable going as low as 600W with a 295x2!

I suspect they are hoping that most people just think "more is better" when making PSU buying decisions, and that will shift enough units to have made the project worthwhile.

5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

that's a very fair point tbh. Our system went up to 665W with the 295X2 under load so I'm with you on not wanting to go as low as 600W there!

6. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

I'm using one in an Ncase build at the moment and it is good.

I know there are some documented issues with fan noise and coil whine but for its size it is relatuvely quiet. I get a strange high pitched noise from the psu after about 15 mins/ Its similar to the noise you get from older cars when the fan belt is trying to gain traction and then a brief chirping noise as the fan speeds up otherwise I cant moan.

7. Shirty

In my mind's eye I can envisage a very small mATX case utilising this PSU, so you could enjoy some Maxwell SLI action but keep the external dimensions small. I'd buy that - just imagine the horsepower you could cram in using a pair of those dinky Asus 970s!

*creams pants, twice*

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I see this becoming the 'go to' SFF PSU even at £99ish as the next one down is the 450 which is only £12 less although the non-modular model is significantly cheaper at just under £60. (Prices compared are from Scan)

I would like an article/review of the 450 non-modular model, not for a review of the PSU itself but as a modern guide of the issues that you might face using non-modular cables in newer Mini-ITX cases.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

For readability's sake, it might be a good idea to have graphs on the same page use the same scale. e.g. the efficient test page has some graphs using 0-90 as the scale, some using 0-100, and none using the same scaling facto.

10. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Hmm, that's to do with the back-end graph generator; it auto-scales based on the figures in the graph. I guess with only two figures per graph it's likely to change often. Tbh I just read the numbers and the rankings, it's very clear to me, but I work with it all the time so it's also probably to do with just being used to it!

11. Aibohphobia

Aibohphobia What's a Dremel?

This may be relevant to your interests then: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1816110

I went crazy though and I'm running a 5930K and SLI 980s off this PSU :D

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I got one of these. The only issue so far was it being boxed in a single layer of bubble wrap. What made it even more dicey was that I ordered it from Amazon, and they shipped it loose in a big box with TWO packing pillows.

13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Hi Aibo,
    didn't know you were a visitor to these parts :rock:. I'm not worthy...
    Been watching your Nova case concept developing over the last few months and am in awe of where you've got to.
    Looking forward to seeing how it all goess.
    For me ITX has to be in a properly small case (no Prodigy for me!) as you can get mATX in 17l ITX has to do better.
    It's great that Silverstone are pushing the limits on SFX PSU capacity without much compromise or downsides.
    All power to Kimera Industries I say!!

14. Aibohphobia

Thanks Arboreal,

Though I'm amazed at all the talented modders here, I just pushed some pixels around a screen and let someone else do the dirty work of manufacturing :p

I think a big problem with ITX cases is supporting ATX PSUs. A 160mm modular power supply is huge compared to the SX600-G and so it dictates the size of the case.

Going for only SFX, or even the larger SFX-L, would cut the possible case size dramatically.

PSA: If you're annoyed by the chatter of the stock fan on the SX600-G, do NOT try to swap it like has been done on the ST45SF-G.

The SX600-G uses a 0-5V operating range for the fan.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2015
  15. Shirty

Now that is what I'm talking about :rock:

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I hope they sell an absolute TRUCK TON of these and the market for SFX PSUs and cases goes as crazy as the ITX case and motherboard markets have over the last few years. Its about time we accepted a new standard. Thankfully we have forward thinkers like Parvum and Phanteks in the industry, and its not the impossible dream it once was.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm buying.

18. Aibohphobia

Phanteks is innovative but I'm not counting on them to push SFF cases down in size, their mATX Evolve is bigger than some ATX cases.

I think SFX-L is where it's at. The 120mm fan should help address the noise concerns compared to standard SFX but it's still quite smaller than ATX.

Tags: Add Tags