1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop LCD displays green instead of black?!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by reddragon105, 30 Apr 2008.

1. reddragon105

reddragon105 What's a Dremel?

Just got a new laptop off ebay - it was sold as faulty because there's a problem with the screen - it appears to work fine, except that everything is washed over with green. Booting into BIOS gives me a green screen with the HP logo in the middle (I presume the background is supposed to be black, but instead it's a mid to light green). Blue and white display fine in the BIOS settings, but anything darker than than is just green. I've installed Windows and everything is running fine - all software and games perform well (it even plays Crysis, albeit on low settings), it's an excellent laptop, except for this damn greenish hue over everything - I can only use it comfortable with the screen at certain angles. I bought it for work, and it's fine for typing, but I also need to do photo and video editing and those require being able to see colours.

So - differential diagnosis: what could be causing this?

I connected it up to my LCD monitor using a VGA cable and my TV using S-video and the colours are normal on both of those displays, so I'm guessing it's not the graphics card.
    I opened up the laptop and checked the cable between the motherboard and the screen. It doesn't seem badly chewed up, but I gave it a wiggle anyway and for a few seconds the display did appear normal (this was in BIOS, so light green text on a dark green background turned into white text on a black background), however then the screen went off as the cable slipped out, I replaced it, only got the green hue again, and I've been unable to repeat this. If I didn't dream it, then I'd say the LCD itself is fine.
    So I bought a new cable - had to get one imported, took 10 days. I've just put that in and it hasn't made any difference :duh:

So what's left? The invertor? Could that cause this colour problem? Or, as wiggling the cable corrected the display, could it be the internal connector on the motherboard?

Any ideas? Please? :confused:

2. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

not the inverter.

either the cable going from monitor to pc, or the connector at either end.

I'd try replacing the cable. Laptop boards are expensive.

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

My brother had this exact same problem with his ASUS laptop, and we came to the conclusion it was the cable or the LCD. We sent it back to ASUS (out of warranty) and they said it was the LCD itself, not the cable, and replaced it for £180.

:(

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Since replacing the cable did not work, I'd say it is the connector that is the problem.

5. reddragon105

As I feared :(
    I will buy a new LCD screen for it. If that doesn't fix the problem, at least I'll be able to return/sell on the new LCD screen, so it's not like I'd lose much.
    Suitable LCD screens (LG Philips 17" Widescreen) are going for around £100 on eBay. Even with that, the laptop is still a bargain as I only paid £200 for it (and it's a HPDV8372EA - Core2Duo 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 160gb HD, GeForce 7600). Just a shame it's a £100 screen problem rather than a £10 inverter. Of course it could be the connector on the mainboard, which would suck.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

That's a bloody shame. I had a display for one of those (if it's the glossy type), but I fried it. :(

You could try to run the motherboard without a chassis to see if that helps. (As in no bottom cover). To me it sounds like a faulty motherboard, but It could be anything in a case like this.

7. reddragon105

I'm currently running it with the screen completely removed on my LCD monitor through a VGA cable - it's fine. So it's not the graphics card, could be the motherboard or the connector on it, but I'm hoping not. I just wish I had another laptop, or at least a spare screen lying around so that I could test to make sure it is the LCD panel before buying another.

8. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Yeah, but the connector is built into the LCD and these days you can't unsolder/resolder stuff because it's too fiddly.

9. reddragon105

I bought a new LCD screen, but that hasn't made any difference - the display is still green.

So, if I can safely say it's not the screen because I've tried it with 2, it's not the inverter because the screen powers and lights up, it's not the cable because I've tried 2 of them and it's (probably) not the graphics card because it displays fine on a monitor and TV - then by process of elimination does this mean it's the actual connector on the motherboard?

How can I test and fix this? Am I going to end up getting a whole new motherboard?