1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 10GbE iSCSI for Gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djzic, 24 Mar 2013.

1. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Hi guys, I've been looking at some pretty awesome networking setups and have decided at some point I will be building a server with 8 or so SSDs in RAID0, with a 10GbE controller on the server going to my desktop. This kind of setup can saturate the throughput of 10GbE in full duplex apparently. Anyway, I have 3 questions:

1) What 10GbE NICs would be good for the server and for my desktop? They're all really expensive, I'd prefer to not pay £1,000 for just a single NIC, and I don't mind going second hand.

2) Do 10GbE PoE switches exist? Given where the switch will be (under the floorboards) routing a power cable would be unfavorable.

3) Would gaming over such a setup be possible? I've read bad things about such a setup, such as constant BSODs during games, but I'm not really sure.

Thanks in advance!

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

If you absolutely need to go 10GbE, do it on a separate point to point network with a different IP range. That will spare you the expense of a switch (which would set you back thousands).
    I'm surprised, seems 10gbe cards have come down in price quite a bit since the last time I looked:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/220107-intel-...ingle-port-10gbase-t-server-adapter-e10g41at2

For something a bit cheaper, you could do link aggregation on 4 gbit ports, which would give you close to 500MB/s throughput:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/201667-intel-i340-gigabit-quad-port-pcie-server-adapter-oem-version-e1g44htblk
    It would be the same idea, with a point to point network, but also requires 4x cables, which is admittedly messier.

Also keep in mind that you'll need cat6 for 10GbE, and the run should be kept to under 30m, while 1GbE needs just cat5e and can go the full 100m.

3. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Thanks, I was actually planning to use Cat7, which is capable of 100m I believe :)

I'd prefer not to use Gigabit, since it would simply be a waste of speed - the RAID setup saturates 10GbE!

EDIT: I found this which would allow installation of a 10GbE card, with two of the intel cards listed a cheaper setup could be achieved :)

Last edited: 24 Mar 2013
  4. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

5. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

I'm actually going to build one in an 800D with an AMD 8 core CPU and use FreeNAS or something like that, it's cheaper :D and wow, that NIC looks awesome :jawdrop:

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

A grand seems about correct, they are enterprise-grade hardware after all. SSD RAID and 10GbE isn't standard kit for a normal businesses so there's not mass uptake yet, thus the high prices.

I much doubt it, PoE is normally the other way round - the switch powers the device on the other end of the cable.

Most certainly is possible, but it sounds like the biggest waste of money as throughput to your disks isn't the limiting factor to getting good FPS so you won't see any advantage to having it over just a SSD in your desktop.

7. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Well, the whole setup would span 4TB of which maybe 300GB will be used for my OS and games. The rest will be for storage of RAW images, and other such data. Also in the future the machine might be connected to another via iSCSI and be used as a private cloud. I know I could buy a NAS... but that's slow and not flexible!:lol:

It's not about game FPS, more about keeping my photos off mechanical disks (which I have awful luck with), easy OS snapshotting and rollback, and also quicker speeds then even internal disks...

Another advantage is no disks in my computer, meaning a completely silent PC if I manage to passively cool the GPU.

Btw - did you check the already posted links? Some NICs starting at ~£400.

8. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

As previously mentioned poe doesn't power the switch. It provides power for end point devices. Designed for wireless ap's, IP phones, etc.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

9. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Thanks for clarification. Since more then the 2 10GbE NICs aren't affordable, I won't even bother with the switch.

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Do you want to boot over iSCSI or have a local SSD in the desktop to boot from?

11. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Yes, I was planning to boot via iSCSI.

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Since you're not bothering with switching, how about Fibre Channel?

A few second hand 4Gbit HBAs shouldn't break the bank (it's old hat, so you should be able to find it relatively cheap), should be cheaper for equivalent performance than 10GbE (make sure you get ones that can be flashed for target-mode for the server, though) and scaling to multiple links is monumentally easier with FC than it is with iSCSI.

You don't have to worry about the limitations of copper, you have link redundancy with 2+ 4Gbit (or 8Gbit) links, and you're using a protocol that's lossless block storage access from the ground up (instead of one that's been fudged, and still won't be lossless in your price range)

And most importantly, FC in your house is worth e-peen++

13. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

:lol:

The problem is, can I afford a 40m cable?:hehe:

Seriously though, a 40m cable is surely ridiculously expensive, so the fact the adaptors are cheaper would be irrelevant... Unless I've completely misunderstood your post >_<

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Have a Google/Ebay for LC-LC OM3.

You'll see the odd place that wants hundreds, but generally shouldn't be too expensive. Second hand is your friend, I've seen thousands of metres of what's probably perfectly good OM3/OM4 binned because of the risk that once it's been laid and subsequently removed, there could be kinks or breaks that could cause big problems in the future, but since you're not running a multinational's SAP, could be worth taking a punt.

I'd send you some for free if I could, but it's technically company property -There's a big box of retired OM3 and OM4 (to get the multiple colours) to use as Christmas tinsel at the office :worried:

15. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Hmm - I see 50m cables for £35, and multiple Quad-connector HBAs for around £100. Using such a solution would booting still be possible?

16. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You can boot off a LUN over FC easily.

17. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

A couple of my managed Cisco switches are PoE powered - this isn't always strictly true!

18. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

surprised no one has said this already, but so many SSD's in RAID 0, would you not be absolutely terrified at the concept of 1 driving failing and you losing everything? for the sake of (possibly unnecessarily) insane data read/write speeds?

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd missed that completely! Easily distracted by talk of 10GbE. :D

20. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Go RAID50 :D