1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back in the fold (and a couple of questions)

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by debs3759, 9 Jan 2015.

1. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Hi all :)

I used to fold with an Intel 2700K, 3930K, GTX 670 and GTX 295 (IIRC). Stopped folding when I downgraded to a Llano A8-3870K and HD 7770, but I just started up again with that system.

I will also be setting up a system with a Maximus IV Gene-Z, * GB RAM, G2020 and GTX 295. The Maximus IV Gene has a broken pin, and only operates with single channel memory. Will I be best to fold with one core for the G2020 plus the GTX 295, or will the GTX 295 need a separate CPU core for each GPU? If I can do CPU folding alongside the GPU, will the fact I can only use single channel memory affect the CPU folding speed? I plan to buy a more powerful CPU for the system in a few weeks, so need to know about the RAM even if I can't use the CPU straight away.

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Hi Debs.
    The GPU will need one core of the CPU, and the points you would get with the other core for CPU Folding would probably be so pitifully small as to not be worth it - so just Fold on the GPU for that system. (Memory-wise, Folding doesn't rely a great deal on RAM).

3. debs3759

Thanks Doc. On the fah forums I was also told I might need the Beta flag in order to fold with that old GPU as support is being discontinued. Will do my best until I can upgrade :)

4. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Good to see you back debs.

5. debs3759

I'm now buying a 2600K in the MP, so the system will be better than I had planned. It does mean a small delay building it, but it'll be worth it :) Just hope the GTX 295 is good enough to earn some sensible points, coz it'll be at least 3 months before I can buy a 980 (or better, if a better NVidia card is released before then that doesn't carry a Titan class price tag). The PC will at first be exclusively used for folding, until I get a couple of 6 GB drives to put in raid for the file server side of it.