1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress First try at a Mod - Antec 1200 V1 (Pic heavy) - updated 15 Nov 2014 (2 new pics)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bsp, 8 Nov 2014.

1. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Intro
    So I got the idea to mod my case whilst trying to fix the headphone interference issue on my antec 1200v1.. using nothing but a knife. It's still WIP and probably won't be completed until at least next weekend as I need parts that I can only get from Antec (the header).

I thought to myself.. how hard can it be.. the answer is.. a little more difficult than you think. Needs more patience than I thought too!

I started taking photos a little bit into the disassembly process. In retrospect.. that would've helped a lot as I went along!

Feedback welcome of course :)

Taking it apart
    The case
    [​IMG]

Giving the filters a little clean
    [​IMG]

PSU flipped over - turns out the cabling doesn't run too well that way up.. so put it back fan down.
    [​IMG]

Disk Drive
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to remove the flat panel at the front of the tray first then after sliding it back it I pried off the edges using a screwdriver and soft plastic removal tool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painting it
    I decided I wanted to have Red or Blue mesh around the fan at the top and at the front... then I realised I had neither of these colours and went for white!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coat after coat.. I was starting to get a little impatient but you can see the colour starting to take
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The morning after: I'm not 100% happy with all the paint work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see where I've gotten impatient.. the consistency is terrible :(

[​IMG]

Now on to the reassembly.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2014
  2. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Case Mod First try at a Mod - Antec 1200 V1 (Pic heavy) - last update 09 Nov 2014

Re Assembly - drives and caddies
    After removing the masking tape... oh dear. the disk drive didn't turn out great.. neither did the colour.. Maybe I should've left this black?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now at this point I'm thinking.. what have I done?

I tried to organise a few so that the thickness isn't too apparent.

[​IMG]

hmm.. not bad!

A little nick on the hand whilst installing..

[​IMG]

But it looks alright!

[​IMG]

Don't mind the pink make-up case.. its where I keep my tools ;)

[​IMG]

Took the opportunity to do a little wiring as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last two going in
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last two needed another touch up of paint.. Have managed to go through 1.5 cans at this point.
    [​IMG]

I managed to damage the paintwork on the top mesh and realised just how fragile it all is.. great!
    It doesn't seem to hold too well.

[​IMG]

Had to remove it and give it another coat of paint.. will do a second shortly.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2014
  3. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Case Re-Assembly continued

The last two had some chips I wasn't happy with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fed up of repainting I turned to a little correction fluid. The colour was off but with a little smudging it looked ok and hid the chips!

[​IMG]

Everything back in

[​IMG]

Cable Management

[​IMG]

The antec 1200 v1 is not great for cable management. For the disks at the bottom I managed to tuck them under the unit

[​IMG]

Threading things though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and tying them off nicely ..

[​IMG]

Panel work done

Put things back together minus the front header as that's still WIP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty nice!

I/O Panel Mod
    Have managed to slice my finger open shortly after the 3rd pic here :sigh: looks like injection moulding inside the plastic bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's easy to cut down to the components.. but the whole thing is sunk in moulded plastic. Figured I need to continue by cutting the back off of the plastic so I can remove all of the white stuff THEN make the needed incisions.

[​IMG]

So after a little offering of blood.. and must cutting and prying with a screwdriver I managed to get part of the outer casing off. I figured out that the earth wire is the white one and proceeded to snip out a 2 or 3 mm section of wire to prevent any accidental contact.

[​IMG]

Next up I need to put everything back together. I had contemplated upgrading the USB2.0's to USB3.0's but figure that it's drawn on long enough and I need to get it all back together.

Re Assembly - The rest of it

Last edited: 15 Nov 2014
  4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Paint can make a massive difference in bringing life to an old case. Black and white is also just a great choice!

I remember painting all the mesh on my thermaltake armor case gunmetal, and it looked really nice since the entire front was mesh.

5. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Update added.
    Case re-assembled and working on the I/O panel.

Also managed to cut my thumb :(

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It wouldn't be proper modding with out a few cuts and bruises.

If you ever read one of my logs there is always blood, temper tantrums and stuff getting thrown about.:D

The black and white works well with that case, coming along nicely.

7. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Thanks for the re-assurance :)

I'm nearing the end of the modding journey and have a much greater respect for what people do here. I appreciate your comments and feedback. Hoping to wrap this up over the course of the weekend.

Two photos added to show a little progress with the header. I picked at it every few days until I managed to get enough out.