1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News VIA brings 1080p video playback to small devices

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

PUT IT IN A HTPC!

3. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

Intel: "neither gaming nor video transcoding are relevant to Netbook and Nettop users"
    Nettop users: "HTPC!"

4. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

I think Ill have to postpone building my htpc till this comes out.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Give me money, I want this!

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

ditto, the old electricity bill cant handle another PC, so this low power HD device is perfect!

7. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

I'd like a netbook to replace my PC when I 'play' with it too much.....(danm addiction to OCing)
    If it could do HD playback thru a VGA/DVI port and at least quad audio thru my amp then i'm sold....
    If it could look like the sony P-series too, and not have that price tag, i'd be there too.

As an HTPC, it can't decode VC-1 in hardware, but a Nano may suffice to decode VC-1 in software.....

8. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't really trust what they're saying because here I have a Clevo M540SR laptop (Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2330; 1.6 GHz Merom core w/ 1 MB cache, VIA VN896CE w/ VIA Chrome9 HC IGP, 2x DDR2-667 1 GB) and it can't even play a 720p AVC-1 video properly. And from my long experiences with VIA, I wouldn't trust them at all!

I believe the Chrome9 family IGP were just a rebranded version of their old Unichrome Pro IGP (which I had used them before too, in my ECS PM800-M2 motherboard back in years 2003). Both IGP can't even run the old Counter Strike 1.3 smoothly at 1024x768 so I'm pretty sure that they lie to you about their support for 1080p video playback unless they're adding some kind of a new hardware decoder to the IGP (which is highly unlikely).

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

With each and every day, Intel loses more of my respect, and VIA gains more.

I really want VIA to succeed... I like their understated presence and approach to the market.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

I'm with you there.
    They have great technology, just look at the Core and Core2 and Nehalem tech...brilliant.
    Then they decide to release a castrated chip, and restrictions on its use ????? (Atom)

Whatever happenned to letting the user choose ? I don't NEED a laptop, as i've said before the p-series is my ideal form factor, but with just a little more functionality...
    Maybe the ARM netbooks will be good enough, and unrestricted, along with Via...

Tags: Add Tags