1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Shuttle Talks Shop and Previews the XPC SH67H3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Now is that sliver or silver or sliver OF silver that I'm supposed to be repeating? =)

Last edited: 24 Feb 2011
  3. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

You know what I'd like to see, and Shuttle is in a good position to do this - DTX and/or Mini-DTX motherboards. They should be a straight fit for their ITX-compatible chassis, and the DTX form factor seems large enough (MATX minus two expansion slots, basically) that it could replace their proprietary form factor for running the more powerful 4 DIMM socket/X58 configurations. I bet they'd have no problem selling a few motherboards then.

4. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

'Of' I assume. It's too early to be asking us to understand these crazy typos! :p

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Interesting to see how the chipset and cpu socket are placed on the motherboard. I guess it has to do with lane timings.

6. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

??? Anyway looks nice

7. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

Would you look at that, the front of the building looks like a shuttle :D

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hmm.. I can only see two internal sata ports. I would've thought they'd put 3 in so you could have 2 hdds and an optical drive.

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Silverstone Sugo SG05/06 + miniITX-board = WIN!

10. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I love Shuttle and their XPCs. Not keen on the current fascia though.

Nice sleek G5 style chassis please.

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

yep seems like the design has stayed the same since about 2006. i much prefer the look of cases like the sugo or lian li Qxx

12. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Could you fit a H50 or H70 Corsair cooler in there instead of their passive heatsink? Anyone tried it?

13. CAT-THE-FIFTH

CAT-THE-FIFTH What's a Dremel?

I currently use an SD37P2 and had an SN41G2 before that, so I am quite happy to hear that they are releasing cases now! :) However,it is a shame they have no intention of releasing any AMD based Shuttle SFF PCs this year.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Are they planning on releasing a P67 (or Z67) based case?
    Having a "P" chassis myself, i can understand the downsizing, I wouldn't need anything more than fits in there.
    Actually an internal 2.5" and a 3.5" would suffice for an SSD and a big drive, requiering even less space

15. McSteel

McSteel Shape Memory Alloy

You're probably getting bored of me with my PSU comments, but I just have to comment on the one mentioned here, too.

This simply isn't true. There supposedly are 2 12V rails, with OCP trip point (if present at all) set at 16A. This does not mean the 12V rail can output 32A (which would make it alone provide 384W, which is a but much for a 300W PSU, don't you think?), it just means that if any one of the 12V rails is loaded with > 16A, the unit will shut down to prevent damage. (16A nominally, if OCP is indeed present, it would most likely shut down the unit at ~20-22A). This PSU could, by power rating alone, be theoretically able to support a GTS 450 or an HD5770 at most, non-OC'd. This would depend on the connectors available and the rest of the hardware used, but considering a 95W CPU and about 45W worth of storage options, 20-30W for the motherboard, you have just enough juice for a vanilla ~105W TDP GPU, and you'd be pushing the PSU at prolonged gaming sessions...
    Of course, a less hungry CPU would allow for more wiggle room in the GPU department, but even then it would be ill-advised to get anything stronger than a GTX460SE or an HD6850.

About the PSU itself; internally it is an FSP (Fortron Source Power), a mediocre-to-good OEM, responsible for many Cooler Master, OCZ, Silverstone, Gigabyte, and some other units, as well as their own retail units. This one is something of a cross between FSP250-50LC and FSP450-60GHS(85), and is tailor-made exclusively for Shuttle. Should be a decent performer, although I wonder about it's ripple/noise suppression at higher loads...

80 Plus test report here. Seems to suggest that the maximum power output of the 12V rail is ~250W, something to keep in mind when deciding on the CPU/GPU combo...

16. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

Blast from the past! I still have my old SK41G somewhere :p

I prefer the Shuttle look to the Lian Li Q series, they look unfinished or like something a metalwork student has knocked up at college. Some of the Silverstone SFF stuff (e.g. SG04) is nice though :)

17. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, the shuttle PSU'S seem to have a very good rating (among Shuttle users) for coping with large loads.
    Then again, most PSU's in "normal" PC's are quite oversized.
    For a gaming Shuttle hwoevr, I'd go for the 500W variant of this PSU to be on the safe side.
    It should be sufficient for an I5 or I7 with any single core GPU that's out there.

18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Looking at the pictures it doesn't look like unless you mod the exhaust section. The Heatsink design is noted as being 92mm instead of 120mm so instantly that is a issue for H50/H70 units. The mounting points on the MB also don't *seem* to conform to any standard so getting the mounting bracket of a H50 to fit will require cutomization.

In the end if you wanted a more powerful build you would be better off with the Sugo SG07.

19. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

They're hardly moving or styling with the times are they. I know they work well as I've got a couple of their systems set up round the house, but I would have thought that they might have moved on a little by now.

What's wrong with a higher power external power brick for these systems and going with an ITX form factor rather than inventing your own? Seems to me that there's a standardisation and a cost saving that they could achieve there....

Good to see new versions out, even if they don't really target the high end overclockers... These make fabulous LAN rigs.

20. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

The motherboard holes are not in the same place as Intels standard on their S775 boards, and I seem to remember the same sized holes were used on an AMD version I had, so I'm guessing that they put the holes to fit THEIR heatpipe mounting system, which is non-standard.

There always used to be raised section tapped domes underneath the board to screw into. These gets in the way of putting any bolts through, unless they have a countersunk head, or you screw directly into them from the top side.

Tags: Add Tags