1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Firefox 4 downloaded 24 million times in three days

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

I saw the tweet. . . something like 5000 per minute at its peak!

About the same rate as the record breaking FF3 iirc.

3. Puzzu

Puzzu What's a Dremel?

I've personally moved to Chrome 18 months back and not looked back.

Something about just typing in the address bar and running a search got me hooked, that said IE does it now as well as I still use IE for "live stuff" but the main Browser is Chrome, might give Firefox another go to see how it shapes up, which reminds me still need to finish off the Skin I was making.

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Everyone I've spoken to so far has moved the tabs back to where they belong.
    Other than that it seems okay. So far I've only had it running on a really slow internet connection, so I can't comment on it's performance.

5. blink

blink stay cold

The internet is a cesspool of invasive tracking bugs, information gathering scripts and malware. Unless something significant changes, I'll never use anything but Firefox and the addons available which at least attempt to fend off that garbage.

This page alone has at least 15 unwanted (as far as I am concerned) scripts and bugs that are being blocked by my setup.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i am using ie9

7. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

How is it?

8. Orionche

Orionche Guest

My previous version of FF has been sluggish for the last 4-5 months and I was a bit skeptical 4.0 will only make it even slower. I was quite surprised the thing loaded twice as fast... :)

Only downside is most addons don't support 4.0 yet. Not fussed much about that.

Oh, and... those godawful tabs above the bookmark tab is one incredibly shitty idea. One of the reasons I very rarely use Chrome.

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it's ok actually, it does a good job at blocking stuff, without add ons, breaks facebook games, which isn't a bad thing, lol,

when i say breaks facebook games, it blocks cross site scripting by default, you can run them in compatability mode, and it works for a while, but then blocks again

some webpaages that are designed for ie sometimes need compatability mode, since ie9 is now standards based.

10. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

Firefox is my favourite, and has been for the last 4 or 5 years or something. I may use Chrome some day when it gets better addons.

11. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Firefox 4 has worked without a hitch so far, I like how fast and simple it is. The only thing I wish I could change would be when I open the add-ons window in Firefox 3.6 a little window would pop-up containing all of my add-ons and a little find updates button. In Firefox 4 it opens up a new page that takes up my whole screen and as someone who only has two add-ons, flash and silverlight, I would rather have a small window instead of a huge one. I miss the little window, anyone know how to get it back or is it lost forever in version 4?

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I've heard ie9 on windows 7 is pretty good but all my stuff is on FF so with FF I shall stay

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

forgot to mention, it renders pages a lot quicker, but you should use the 32bit version, on 64bit machine, as the 64bit one isn't properly finished, the java optimizations have only been done on 32bit version

14. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

Chrome for me everyday...
    using the Dev version - they soon sort any blips
    and its quick even with extensions

15. salesman

salesman Minimodder

Reading this news I see almost nothing but Google chrome ads on bit-tech.

16. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Note: If you are using your GPU to fold for Bit-tech, do yourself a favour and DISABLE hardware acceleration.
    It pretty much waits until your current WU is finished before responding to your mouse clicks.
    (OK, so its not that bad, but waiting 4-5 seconds after you have clicked new tab for one to appear is a bit annoying)

17. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

Um the simple solution to tabs on top 'problem' is to just right click the bar and uncheck the tabs on top option. Firefox 4 is a lovely browser
    ie9 does not have shrink tabs or app tabs or whatever u want to call it so i can't use it. Also i don't like their addon system. Still the best browser microsoft ever produced though

18. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

Firefox. Is this thing working probably? It failed to detect weather the site is secured or not. Once you reload the page it is fine. Opera/Chrome works just fine.

19. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Fist time I used Chrome several months ago was amazed by how fast it is.

This is completely unscientific but it actually seems slower now for some reason,

Was thinking of trying IE 9.

20. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

So, we get news about a browser launch that we all knew was coming, but nothing about the budget and the R&D tax relief for the games industry?

Tags: Add Tags