1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Google Pixel Lauched

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by freshsandwiches, 4 Oct 2016.

1. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I picked up a HTC 10 a week ago knowing that it was a risk with the Pixels right around the corner. I regret nothing.

3. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

That's quite a step up from the 5X launch price!

All I want is a phone with up to date software for a reasonable price. If £600 is the cheapest current nexus/pixel then the options seem to be previous gen nexus devices or iphones...

Last edited: 4 Oct 2016
  4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Personally, I will not pay £600 for a phone. No chance.

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Far too expensive, Google will struggle to sell them at this price - they don't have the brand "cache" that Apple have, nor do they have a legion of followers. Everyone will continue to buy Samsung android phones, or they'll get an iPhone...

As for me, I'll stick with my Nexus 5 thanks.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm sure it's lovely, although the specs don't look great for the money. Pretty much as above though: My 3rd gen Moto G has pretty much killed the idea of spending £500 plus (or the equvilent over 2 years) on a phone for me.

Also water resistance is a pretty key thing to me these days. I think should be standard when you spend that much on a phone now various manufacturers have show that it can be acheved without significant compromises.

It's interesting they openly say 2 years of OS updates and 3 years of security updates in the specs. This may be true of lots of phones and their just being more open about it, but it does feel worryingly like their putting a limited lifespan on the device.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Several hundred quid premium over something like the OnePlus 3, LeEco Le Pro 3, ZTE Nubia 11, QiKU 360 Q5 Plus and so on just for an increased chance to get android 8 whenever it comes out?

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

They are having a long-necked mammal...

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Same here. The Google Pixel is undeniably a fine piece of kit, but my most recent buy after my Lumia 920 packed up was a nearly pristine second-hand Lumia 930 for about £90,--. OLED screen, good camera, wireless charging, Windows Mobile 10. All I need.

10. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Looks like a nice screen, good processor, good camera. Will be instant android updates which is nice.

No water resistance, huge price. No thanks!

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Not sure google can sell a phone at Apples price levels.

The general feeling on android forums was it's too much, Google created Andriod as a alternative to IOS and windows. That alternative for a long time has been a lot cheaper.

Now they want the same cash with there record on software updates I think they will find it's too much.

Has google changed there only Guaranteed updates for 18months Policy ?

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

As a OnePlus fanboy, I can safely say that I wouldn't ever even consider paying over £350 for a smartphone unless it shifted some serious paradigm.

13. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

...for two years. That's pretty awful support, and the single worst thing about the android platform.

14. alf-

alf- Minimodder

If I wanted a iPhone clone I'd be looking more towards the Xiaomi Mi5s.
    Hell, the Pixel looks like even more of a clone than the Xiamoi, and for google with all their resources , that's shameful.
    (on a tangent, what the hell happened to HTC, used to make some of the best looking phones out there, and now they're pumping out clones, jeez)

As for the price....
    If you want apple you have to buy an iPhone, if you want android, you are spoilt for choice, so I can't see google getting away with apple prices.

Personally, I'm a current iPhone user, and I've been waiting for this announcement before making a choice on whether to stay, or leave iOS.
    I have pretty much decided to leave, but there is not a chance in hell I am going to buy a pixel.

I intend to sell my iPhone, and use the proceeds to part pay for a One plus 3.

Oh whoa, they're gonna support their device for the length of typical phone contract, how gracious of them.
    Apples regular updates (for better or worse at times admittedly) will be something I miss once I switch to android.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2016
  15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Even mid range phones are overkill these days, you can get a new £150 phone every year and laugh at the people who pay £600+ for phones just because they are from brands their friends recognize.

16. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

The only snags against OnePlus3 is no MicroSD slot and 64GB as standard.

Last edited: 5 Oct 2016
  17. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Yup, that is a downer for sure!

18. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I was very excited for the Pixel XL having bought a Nexus 6 two years ago but I just can't get over the price tbh - I paid £500 for the Nexus 6 at the time (which was and still is a lot of money) and may have been tempted by the Pixel XL for the same price but £719 (or £819 for the larger storage option) is just ludicrous.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm feeling pretty happy about my £400 Huawei P9 purchase of a few days ago.

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It really is diminishing returns when it comes to expensive phones, isn't it? At least there are loads of options out there at all price ranges, from my better half's £49 Moto E all the way up to the ridiculous £800 top-end Pixel. For me the sweet spot seems to be £150-£200 range but I appreciate that different people have different requirements :)