1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Black Dragon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TATH, 23 Jun 2015.

1. TATH

TATH Minimodder

With Hill 7.9 in the end fase i think i have enough skills and knowlidge to start a nother build.
    Looking at a few dutch friends who build there own cases from scratch i thought "yes i can do this to".
    I Always have a motto "Never give up". Some things i learnt the hard way and that cost me about 1500 euro's.
    I speak free about my build that means "Not just the glorry parts but also the down side of the build".
    I now can say i came out stronger. And that is also one of the reason to start a new build. "showing people how to do\ dont" and to share
    knowlidge how to build your own build "even from scrap pieces". Build your own dream rig.

I also putting a few hyperlink in my buildlog with a few buildlogs from people who build there system up from scratch.

What did i learnd from building Hill 7.9:

- bending tubing
    - planning a build
    - making my own cables
    - work with acrylic
    - metalwork
    - paintspraying my own parts

Ha ha this sickness began about two years ago with visit of a site from a great builder "Singularity Computers".
    I builded my first copy of "Singularity Beast II". Yes with less skills i started and finished it.
    With finsihing that build i wanted a bigger sytem and much parts went to my son's build and i started a new build Hill 7.9
    named after my former army base in Libanon.

Now i am going to build my own case inspired from the Caselabs STH10. The difference between the STH10 and my build is that:
    - i can fit in the upper part 2 x 560 radiator with a psu behind it and room to pass tru my cables.
    - i also do this in the lower part of the case.
    Actualy it is a case with two pedestels.

A challenge in this build are the custom made covers that i want. This time i cant make them because i need a cnc router or a co2 laser cutter to make those parts.

Major parts (for som parts i still looking for benchmarks or tests)

Mother board : X99 ,LGA 2011v3 Rampage V Extreme
    Processor : i7-5930K
    Ram : ....
    GPU : 3 x GTX 690
    Pomps : 4 x D5 Aqua Computer
    Pomptops : 2 x duall Bitspower
    Connectors : Bitspower matt black
    Reservoirs : 2 x Bitspower Z- 250
    Radiators : 4 x 560 Alphacool NexXxos UT60
    PSU's : ....
    Case : homemade like the CaseLabs STH10 but then longer because i want 4 x 560 radiators.
    Frame : L- shape 40 x 20 x 2mm and 25 x 25 x 2 mm
    L\R cover : 3 mm thick aluminium plate
    Doors : 2 mm aluminium with 4 mm acrylic clear windows
    Cables : red or combination red and black
    inner panels : 3 and 5mm thick acrylic black and red
    Tubbing : 12 mm clear
    Fans : 34 x Noiseblocker 140mm PK-PS
    Conttroller : 2 x Aquero 6 XT
    Coolblock : 2 x Aqua Computer passive heat sink for Aquero 6 xt (color red)
    Fluid : mayhem UV red
    GPU : depends on my sponsor or i get another 690 gtx (already have one).
    Mounts rad. : Caselabs
    Custom pannels : Acrylic 5mm, side panel 5mm black with 3mm uv red.
    Casters : 4 x 50 mm \ 40 kg \65mm height

Raw version of the case without the two pedestels one above and one below the case)

[​IMG]

Two pedestels integraded in the top and bottom of the build.

[​IMG]

Construction plan of the frames:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sponsored by:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Jun 2015
  2. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Parts for the build.

Many aluminium profiles and angle pieces

[​IMG]

Aquacomputer D5 pomps with usb, and 2 led blocks

[​IMG]

Motherboard Asus Rampage 5 Extreme

[​IMG]

Processor Intel i7 5930K
    [​IMG]

GPU's 3 x Asus GTX 690
    [​IMG]

Radiators : 4 x 560 Alphacool Nexus UT60
    Controllers : 2 x Aquacomputer Aquero 6 XT
    Fans : 32 x Noiseblocker Black Silent Pro PK-PS 140 mm

[​IMG]

O you miss a few fans:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passive cooling blocks for the Aquero 6 XT:

[​IMG]

Radiator mounts: 4 x Caselabs for the Magnum pedestel 560 version:

[​IMG]

Switches on and off: Caselabs

[​IMG]

Frontpanel: Caselabs

[​IMG]

Fangrills: Custom designed by Coldzero.eu
    [​IMG]

Panels: 3 mm uv red for the side panels and the mount for the 2 bitspower double pomptops:
    [​IMG]

Reservoirs and fittings: Bitspower

[​IMG]

Panels for front ans the side: 5mm black shinny

[​IMG]

I might forgot something but that is for later.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2015
  3. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Befor i start with the build i need more measurements.

Today i received the side mounts from Caselabs. Now it is time for measuring al up.

Al the parts on the table that i need for measuring up the radiator with the fans and the mount.
    [​IMG]

Small warning about the use of long screws.
    [​IMG]

First try out. Ahum yes.
    [​IMG]

2 inlet and outlets "side and front" :
    [​IMG]

Different setup "frame for the fans"more flat against the side of the pedestel more room inside the pedestel!.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The heads of the screws are stikking out about 2 mm. So i guess that is good because the profiles are 2 mm thick. So the screws staying between the profiles of the pedestel and just the ouside have to be coverd.

[​IMG]

I think i have enough details for the drawing again. :D

4. TATH

TATH Minimodder

What to do or not to do.

I have been working on the drawings again yesterday.
    The advantage of working in 3d is that you get a picture how it going to look. And of cours what you can change.

Motherboardtray on the middle frame.
    [​IMG]

The height of the middle frame depends on a few components and the way you want to mount\place them.
    Because i did not make the bitspower dual pomptop in 3d yet i have a raw picture how high the middle frame have to be

It seem that i have to much space left at the motherboard side. Almost 22 cm left.
    Because the frame is screwd together it is easy to adjust the vertical pieces of the middle frame.

Forgot one thing to mention that in this picture is not placed the cable and the light pannel ( ± 6 cm) ray. But it give a raw idee of the space that is left to use for something els.

I already thingking of extending the top (the same way as below the motherboard) to guid tru cables.

I still have plenty of room left at the right side but i wil not making the frames shorter then 95 cm because i need the space for the radiators - space for cables pas tru - and housing the psu.

[​IMG]

Thats all for today folks. :rock:

5. TATH

TATH Minimodder

When i have something in my mind i dont stop before there is result.

I took out 3 meters of profiles, 25 x 25 x 2 and 40 x 20 x 2, and strip 20 x 2.

I finish piece for piece:
    - marking the length;
    - cutting the profile;
    - filing the profile;
    - sanding\polish the profile.

I use a small saw to do the job. "ye monks work but secure". :D

[​IMG]

I finished 6 from 8 pieces. When i have a machine i wil do the job faster but it is also fun working with your hands.
    And like the other build "i am not in a hurry to finish.

Result of this evening "almost ready for the sanding\polishing part.
    [​IMG]

I start building the frame after all parts are cut and the screws and tread is in it. "cant wait "
    :naughty:

6. TATH

TATH Minimodder

At last finished. pfffffffff :D

Stil having a jet lag from the short vacation. So i was Lucky to get a day of from the firestation.
    Ye just me and the build.

Measuring out and sawing the aluminium angles "what a job".

( i yes i went to the store to look for a table saw. A good one 2\ 300 euro "Whats wrong with the baby handsaw Nothing so i went back home doing the monks job".

I used a piece of board to put the angles on.
    [​IMG]

After a few hours i finished sawing the pieces i need for the pedestel.

Now ready to connect the strips to the vertical angles "rivids"
    [​IMG]

Ha ha yes forgot to tel you more tools "whe need more tools" biggrin.gif
    So new clamps to hold the strip on to the angel. Now i can drill som holes for the rivids.
    [​IMG]

Countersink rivids so i can later put the panel against the frame.
    After this job it is time to drill 8 holes in the ends of the strip and put 3mm tread in it.

[​IMG]

First 2 screws in. Just a few more "hurry hurry"
    [​IMG]

Well the bottom part and the vertical pieces are finished. Now the top part

[​IMG]

This picture belong som where up. But there is something to tel about it.
    I was sawing the angles and got som left ofer material "the little triangle plates". I use them to line out the angles by putting them in the corners.

[​IMG]

Wife is saying "stop making noise ( she want to go to bed). No first the last 4 screws in the frame. Ye job don.

[​IMG]

Want to see how much room i have for the psu and room for cables and tubing. Yes that wil do.

O yes i have to change the drawing "again" . I changed the dimensions from 950 x 341 x 204 to 950 x 360 x 204. Yes i like the space.
    [​IMG]

Going to order a bottom plate so i can mount the radiators on.

Thats al for today "i am going to bed". :D

7. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Yes yes,

Finaly i finished the second pedestel. I guess it is learning on the job.

I had to countersink the screws and used a handdril to do the job. Always one screw in and then countersink the other hole.
    I found out that for finding the right depth i just squeeze the power button and do this 20 times rolleyes.gif yes perfect dept.
    Now i have to do 32 holes this way. And i guess these are not the last ones i have to do.
    Result !!

I mount the angles on a board and hold them down with a few clamps.
    Then i push the vertical piece in the corner and drill from the oudside a 2,5 mm hole.
    Then i tap with the handdrill the tread in the vertical piece "sounds easy" yes it is but cost time.

[​IMG]

After the tread is in i check both sides for aluminium residu and file it off. Smooth it has to be.

[​IMG]

Working my way around the pedestel.

[​IMG]

Finaly finished. Altho finished "just this part of the pedestel".
    more work on the pedestels:
    - corner plates on the top inside corners "to make from left over angles";
    - making extra vertical support parts to hold the radiator mount from four sides. For this i have to drill more holes in al the side of the frame.
    - putting in floor plates so i can mount parts on it.

No this show is far from over

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But i am happy that i finish this part.

8. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Came home this morning from a extra 24 hour shift at 08:00 hour.
    It is normal that you go to bed when you com home. But not for me "just a little nap on the coutch"and then upstairs again.

Today i want to make the middle section of the case frame.

A few says ago i got more aluminium strip at a home building shop.
    The strips cost more then the double then my previous order at a metal shop. mad.gif
    Now that the raw version is finished i am measuring up "once more" the dimensions for the panels that i need.

Making the vertical pieces "angle with the strips on two sites" took me a few hour. why !

- measuring;
    - cutting;
    - filing;
    - measuring out the places where the rivids go in;
    - centering the marking so i can drill and the drill dont start walking over my material;
    - drilling 3mm holes;
    - removing leftover at the back;
    - countersink the rivid holes;
    - putting the rivids in;
    - re measuring the ends
    - YOU DONT WANT TO HEAR THE REST :D

Then you have these parts band.gif

Ready for dilling the holes in the horizontal pieces the same way as above.

[​IMG]

Drilling the holes took me longer because i measure and reameasure the length over and over again. The size of all parts are oke. pfffffff
    Ha ha yes it is possible that it turn out like the "Tower of pizza" yes that is art too :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stil have to make som more support pieces but i need more angles.
    Tommorow i wil measure up the sides to order som plates "aluminium and acrylic.

I hope you all enjoyed the show. :D

9. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Saturday morning 08:00.

I am back from a 24 shift at the firestation. First a little rest and then back to the build.
    I want to work on securing\ connecting the frames together and make a few support pieces.

To be shure all frames are in the exact right place i first drill 2 holes "one on each site of the frame".
    This way i am able to adjust a little. Altho most of the pieces a connected with M3 screws you can Always twist it a little.
    So dont think this is a 1000% lined out machined frame biggrin.gif it is not.
    Still verry happy with the result. "Couth i do better !" yes i can but then it takes 3 weeks instead of 3 dayes to make the frame.

After i lined out the frame i put a nother screw in and made the holes at the back "5 more holes".

[​IMG]

After countersink all 9 screw holes i put in the rest of the screws. I had big plates at the side to help me line out the frame during drilling.

[​IMG]

After doing one site i flpt the complete case to do the other side.
    One thing that i have to do is to dremel off the screws that you see.

[​IMG]

Learning on the job i will call it. In my mind i am trying to find a way to secure the radiators in the pedestel.
    I have i have seen that people bold the radiator down to the bottom of the case with a angle.
    There must be an other way i thought. Yes i think i now the way.
    There are edges on each side off the radiator. I will mount a strip across the pedestel so the radiator dont move.
    The only thing that i must do is to press the radiator down from above "and i found a way".

[​IMG]

On the topside of the pedestel i will put also a strip. In the strip i will put in 3 mm tread and put in a screw that pushes against the radiator and secure it.

[​IMG]

I just stick in the strip in to show you. It wil be secured in the frames with 3mm countersink screws.

[​IMG]

So thats all for today.

10. TATH

TATH Minimodder

I needed more space for my build so sudenly i start removing the spare bed. A family member wanted the bed so now i have more room to build.

Small update i changed the screws now i can put a flat plate in the frame.

Screws sticking out.

[​IMG]

After using the dremel the are the right size.

[​IMG]

And finaly more room for the build. Going to put extra light behind it so i guess better pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So for now i quit and going to shoot a few on call of duty :rock:

11. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Yes i am back "Progress" No not yet.

Why talk then. Wel i got a few new parts for the build. "HE NEW PARTS LOOK AT POSTING NR 2"

I was happy with my own made bending board. But i can do better do i got my self a complete Monsoon bending kit.

Nice box and all shiny stuff in it. What i am going to do with it. "I dont know". There is no manual so beside looking at it i first going to jump on the internet "youtube" . And find me a guide how to use this kit.

First i thought "He the 2 milion from the lottery arived". When i opent the case i realised it was just a dream and i still have to work my bud off to get all my stuff for the build.:wallbash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

O yes and i got more room upstairs. Placed a kitchen sink with board "2 meter" beside my desk. So more stuf to put on and more places to seek if you dont find it.

Pictures NO tommorow.

12. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Got my acrylic inner panels today.

Package arived at my work. The inner pannels.
    Stil need to order the top panel and the panels for the pedestels.
    I already orderd the aluminium and bottom panels.
    So before i can start with the inner pannels i need to measure in the side panels.

[​IMG]

This time i realy try to keep the protection film on to the last pont of my build.

[​IMG]

13. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Waiting on my aluminium side panels.

Normaly the arive within 5 days. But it is already one week ago that i order the plates.
    I think the dont have them in stock because i orderd "black anodised plates" . If the ont arive tommorow i wil Phone them on monday.

I have been bussy with the appartment from my daughter. Finishing small parts. Tommorow i have to build in a sink in the toilet.

So i hope it is a quick job and then back to the build again. biggrin.gif

But i manage to do a few small things besides looking the bending guides.

Al different sizes of support pieces laying on my new bending table.

"He Gerald i putting the rad frames in between a few support pieces ( just as you advise me).
    But more work before it all fit in. Measuring and measuring and cutting. Its fun

[​IMG]

I first have to make the motherboard support plate before i can bold the pieces in.

Ha ha yes and i need more acrylic. Like the other build this build is eating my money and it is a hungry beast. :D

14. TATH

TATH Minimodder

I modified the support pieces today.

The ends where to long so i had to cut a small piece of.

Making the radiator frame fit in to the pedestel took much more time then i thought.
    measuring the thicknes of the rad frame and placing marks where to drill the holes for the 3mm tread took much time.
    Patience paid of enventualy ( progress have been made) drunken.gif

In the middle piece of the case you see two horizontal support pieces. When i now where the motherboard ends i can make a few more support pieces. I need them to put the two pcu's on.

[​IMG]

Yes it fits the way i want it. Now i just have to secure the frame from the outside.
    I am thinking of putting a few vertical screws in the rad frame from the top and bottom to suport it more.

[​IMG]

I put two 3mm screws in from the inside of the angle tru the radiator frame.

[​IMG]

Not connected the fans with the radiator to the frame yet. But i think i have to countersink the outside pedestel cover from the inside where the screws from the fans pop up. 1,5 \ 2 mm dept.

[​IMG]

So that was is for today. Tommorow i am back. "what the plan is" .

Making 6 more vertical pieces to support the other 3 radiator frames.

15. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Well it are Always the little things that cost a lot off time.

But i dont give up. "bent but dont brake" rolleyes.gif

I buy this week for 30 euro on angles and strips but it is almost gone a;ready. Yes i need more more rolleyes.gif
    I finished the support angle's in the back.

[​IMG]

After measuring the thicknes of the radiator frame i put dimension lines on the frame where to drill.
    To avoid that the drill start dancing around i center the drill place with a sharp screw.

Time to drill and putting 3mm tread in the frame (after taking ofer the hole marks at the support piece).

[​IMG]

Putting in the two screws "without to much tension of course".

[​IMG]

Finaly all four rad frames are in the case. Because the frames are made from aluminum i still want more support in the middle of the frame. mayby i make a support u-shape angle pices under the frame that support the rad.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK"

[​IMG]

Becasue i put in a extra angle piece the space for the drives and cables is 3 cm shorter. No problem i still have 20,5 cm left at the left side and the psu's are going to be place in the middle frame.

[​IMG]

That is al for today. :thumb:

16. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Yes it is early that i stop with the build this evening. 21:05 hour.

But i manage to connect the radiator frames to the pedestels.

Easy no not always.

You have to be shure that the frame in the perfect position before you can drill a hole in it to secure the frame.
    I further notice "after mounting the first frame" that some times the tread is not so strong.
    SOLUTION for that. Yes i have Instead of 3mm tread redrill the hole with a 3mm drill and put a nut behind the strip and tiden it.
    Much stronger. If i need i redo the holes and put al nuts in behind the strips

[​IMG]

I still use the triangle plate to measure if averything is outlined and in the good place

[​IMG]

Two holes in instead of one avoiding that the supportframe moves side wayes.
    "Learning on the job".

http://i.imgur.com/ZrzSbWQ.jpg

Countersink the screws.

[​IMG]

This one is with 3mm tread in it.

[​IMG]

The second way with a nut behind the strip.

[​IMG]

I also orderd a few more acrylic plates to cover the frame.
    Until now i spent about 500 euro on the case alone "with al orders i placed today for the rest of the panels i need for this case.
    I guess i am not far away from the cost of a Caselabs STH-10 "with shipment and tax.
    Dont understand me wrong "CASELABS THE BEST CASE YOU CAN BUY FORE MONEY" . But i wanted a case with other specs.

17. TATH

TATH Minimodder

acrylic mount for the double duall bitspower pomptop

I got my package with acrylic plates today " i think it is about 10 \ 15 kg of plates.

It is weekend and i want to do som work on the build i made a drawing "drill mall" for te mount.

First i took the measurements of the spare ppomptop and the measurements of the acrylic plates under it.

Made a drawing. Ahum change the measurements !!dont no yet.

[​IMG]

Pomptop for the measurements.

http://i.imgur.com/lW6NYgA.jpg

Black 5mm cover off.

[​IMG]

One screw to tide the pomptop to the acrylic.

[​IMG]

All parts are off now.

[​IMG]

5mm black top and 6 mm clear at the bottom.
    Now that i look at it i rather have the clear panel thicker. Wel it is off to the back looking in my storage for som scrap peace that i can use.

[​IMG]

Yes this old part from the firebrigade sign wil do. More pshaping and polishing i wil do tommorow.

[​IMG]

I hope you like it rolleyes.gif ( I do it is fun to work with my hands).

I got a idee wat to do with the posible fibration . No rubber puffers but a neopreen plate under it. And securig it with two screws between the double pomptops.

18. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Yes Friday,

A day off from work. NO she left a note for me what to do.

- kitchen
    - bayhroom
    - getting something to eat for the weekend
    - fuel up the car
    - make dinner

After 13:00 hour the list can in the dustbin "job don" . ( there is a price to pay when you both work). biggrin.gif

Still manage to do the raw panel for the pomptops.

The right shiny part have to go. For the big parts i use a dremel. But be careful you fast grab someting when you stay on the same part.

[​IMG]

The white parts are melted parts. So i use the dremel just before the stop line. The rest must do the file and sandpaper.

[​IMG]

I tide the plates up with a few clamps so the dont move.

[​IMG]

I aslo use a sharp knive to scrape of the material. That goos verry well but take a lot of your time.

[​IMG]

For the last part i use sandpaper K400 "before polish it.

[​IMG]

19. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Sunday morning 08:15 hour.

Yes i am back from work. First i took a small nap on the coutch for 2 hours. 10:00 coffee and croissants from the wife "yes i am awake and ready to go. Working on the acrylic plate "again".

Here is where i was last time. "Sharp edges"

[​IMG]

Top 5 mm cover and 8 mm clear panel.

[​IMG]

I have two options:
    - one i put tape on the top panel and draw lines on it;
    - two i make a drill mal.

I think the seconde one is the fatest way .
    one thing because i only have one printer let from the 5 i only hve a A4 printer. And the drawing is bigger then the A4 size i print the drawing i two parts.

[​IMG]

Yes this wil do.

[​IMG]

I first drill two holes so i can put the hand saw (figure saw) in.
    I also used the jigsaw "with a new sharp blad" to finish the cutout.

[​IMG]

The fine work i do with a file , sandpaper and a sharp knife.

[​IMG]

After scraping of small pieces i am able to work more precise. Not that the Original Bitspower bottom plate its n i realise that i have to cut a cm of four from the back because i will stick the back of the pomp tru the back panel. S all wiring is in the back and you dont see it.

[​IMG]

20. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Spend 2 hours in the back filing the edges off the acrylic plate.

Tommorow i will cut 3 a 4 cm from the back so back of the pomp plate hit the the backplate and the pomps stick tru the panel for about 1 cm.

The raw version. I still need to sharpen the edges. For that i use a big sharp knife and scrape the edge.

[​IMG]

As you can see on the left side i cut of 4 cm of the back. Now the pumps stick over about one cm ath the back.
    So i dril 4 holes in the back panel and push the pomptop with the plate aginst the back plate of the case.
    The pomps wil be 1 cm in the back of the case.

But more work before i get at that point.

[​IMG]

Right now i am shaping the edges with a sharp knife. It wil take me a while to get it the way i want it.

[​IMG]

This afternoon i spent som time with the fitting of the Bitspower pomptop to the plate.
    I notice that if i put the clear acrylic block from the pomptop in to the plate the rings of the modkit toutches the plate and i can not keep the pomptop straight. So i had to cut a piece at the modkit place.

After this the pomptop fits into the top plate.
    I had a neoprene piece of tape under the pomptop but found out that the clear acrylic coms almost on top of the top acrylic and i dont want that. So i removed it again. It is 4mm thick "mayby i slice it in half".

[​IMG]

From above you see the pomptopplate is shorter then the modkit. I want to put the back of the pomps tru the backplate of the case.

[​IMG]

To connect the Bitspower pomptops to the bottomplate i drild a few holes that matches the tread of the Bitspower pomptop.
    So two screws in to the pomptop and one to hold down the complete plate with plates to the 5mm top black acrylicplate of the bottom pedestel.

[​IMG]

I missed the postman with my big aluminum plates" mad.gif

The store where i can pick it up is nearby. So i thought to pick it up when i get all the food for the weekend.
    Wife went in to the store for food and i get in the store next to it to pick up my package. That is what i thought. mad.gif

"Do you have the ticket sir" Yes i have . "name Tates" Id kart please "Shi....... forgot it". Ill be back soon.
    Whent back into the shop next door and asked my wife to pick up the package . After 10 minutes wife is back "package in the car and i am happy" drunken.gif

You did not told mhe that the package weight is 10 kg of aluminum. :D

[​IMG]

:thumb: