1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Multiple homeplug networks

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by marlowdrummer, 18 Nov 2015.

1. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

Hi guys,
    is it possible to have two separate homeplug networks?
    Currently have this setup. Router is in the living room and switch in the loft with no easy way to get cable between.
    Virgin Router --> homeplug (500Mbps) --> 24port GB switch which has 2 HP microservers (1 a NAS/PLEX box the other a VM server, both with additional 4port Gb cards), a NAS and a VMware server (additional 4port GB card) off this.
    Have an IP camera off one homeplug (500Mbps) and a desktop off another.

If possible, I was thinking of swapping in a 1200Mbps homeplug bridge between the Virgin router and the 24 port switch rather than the current 500Mbps one, and then have a separate homeplug network (500Mbps) from the switch to the camera and desktop. Possibly using another to feed a Sammy TV in the bedroom for Plex.

So, can it be done? Will they interfere with each other, or, will the 500Mbps plugs pull the 1200Mbps plugs speed down to it's level even if they are separate networks?

The Virgin router currently does all the DHCP etc.

Any insights or experience of this would be great.
    Many thanks folks.
    S.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Most will come with software which will allow you to set up password pairs (or more) so in effect all connected to the same network, but only able to communicate with the aligned passworded homeplug.

marlowdrummer likes this.
  3. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

Cheers for the reply.
    I have the faster home plugs on the way and I'll configure as a new network and see how the speeds behave with and without the slower ones online.
    If needs be, I'll just get a few more of the faster ones.

Might try to configure the 24 port switch as the DHCP/Router, but not sure how that will play with the VM hub going through home plugs :)
    I see fun ahead!!

Many thanks
    S.

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

pretty sure you cant run two separate ones i.e. a 500mpbs and 1200mpbs network together. What would likely happen is that all would reduce down to 500mpbs.

also don't forget the bandwidth is shared just like wireless