1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Rad screws

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phoenixck, 19 Apr 2013.

1. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

Looking for copper screws that will fit my case rad and fans together like so...... Fans-Case-Rad (RS 360)-Fans (with rubber washers between each section) what kind of screws am I looking for? Linky would be appreciated

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

3. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Well, the RS 360 uses 6-32 screws - so you'd need to do a search for ones the right length & material for your purposes...

Fans & washers (or gaskets) have different thicknesses & you also need to be able to physically fit them into the gap with the fans (unless you're going all the way through them)

As to washers providing they're a sensible size then it's kind of immaterial...

...though i personally think you'd be better off looking at neoprene gaskets - for example these (i'm not suggesting that this is necessarily the cheapest place).

Well, you're then getting a decent seal round the rad & fans rather than leaving an air gap - & i also think you'd have a devil's own job trying to fit washers on both sides of the case.

[Edit 1]

Even if they're a suitable length then they're M3s, whilst (according to the rad spec) the OP needs 6-32s.

[​IMG]

(from wiki - so, whilst it 'might' hold on day 1, you'll end up stripping the thread on either the screws or the rad)

[Edit 2]

i meant to say, the reason for looking for the screws based upon the actual standard, length & material is that by selling them as "radiator screws" then there can be a hefty premium.

it was *much* cheaper ordering generic M4 hex screws in the couple of lengths that i needed for my two GTX rads from eBay than it would have been to order the self same things from any of the water cooling etailers.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2013
  4. phoenixck

Do you guys reckon I'd be ok with 6-30 screws or would they not be long enough?
    Thanks for both of the replies btw, and considering the price isn't ridiculous I'll probably go with the rubber gaskets.

5. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

6-32 isn't a length but a diameter. Imperial measure of 6/32 inches (~4.8mm).
    So 6-30 will equate to a diameter of ~5mm.

So you need a 6-32 screw with your desired length.

6. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

You've misunderstood what a 6-32 screw is - the 6 is a number which is basically a shorthand for the major diameter (it's actually 0.1380 of an inch) whilst the 32 is the no of threads per inch...

So, you buy 6-32 screws in the length that you actually need.

This isn't correct - see the Unified Thread Standard.

[Edit]

Looking it up, the formula for sub-1/4" UTS screws is Major diameter = Screw # × 0.013" + 0.060"

Last edited: 19 Apr 2013
  7. phoenixck

Ok so I need 6/32 screws (bolts) any idea how long they need to be though?

8. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

normal would be about 35mm I think or just add the fan thickness to the washer thickness and add 3 to 5 mm you might have to measure for the rad thread penetration

edit I forgot add the case thickness

9. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

You'll need to measure it.

Well, me telling you that i needed 10mm screws to go through one side of a Scythe Ultra Kaze, a layer of neoprene & into a Blackice GTX... ...or 6mm screws to go through a Phobya Radiator Stand (i externally mount my rads) & into a Blackice GTX, only tells you that this is what i needed for my setup with my components.

Even if you're going through just one side of the fan, different fans have different thicknesses of plastic... (& obviously you'll need to be able to either fit the total length into the gap for one side or it'll need to be long enough to go through the entire fan - where again different fans have different total thicknesses)

...your case will have a thickness...

...the neoprene will have a thickness x2 (though it's pretty compressible)...

...& your rad will have a depth before you hit the fins.

10. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Thank you for catching me before I led phoenixck astray with my misinformation. I have learnt something useful today too.