1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Best Wired Gaming Headset Under £300 for star citizen?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rainbowbridge, 16 Feb 2014.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

There are a lot of gaming headset options, I have just spent around 30minutes and after checking with scan then over clockers, the Plantronics GameCom Commander 7.1 caught my eye, it looks pretty serious doesn't it?

Obviously the SteelSeries Siberia looks really comfortable, almost like a dream design for two pillows on your head for extended gaming.

I am found of the Corsair brand so the Corsair Vengeance 1500 is of
    interest.

Sound quality is primary, then comfortableness for extended flights in star citizen.

I am totally comfortable with getting a stop gap cheap set like a Razer Kraken Pro

Has any one tried on a whole bunch of high end gaming headsets and come away thinking that one was the clear winner for sound and awesomeness?

2. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I think in this price range your best bet is separate headphones and mic on desk, unless you're against that?

3. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Tip don't get a gaming headset, they are all ****. You should look at getting decent headphones, clip on mic/deskmic, sound card and maybe a headphone amplifier.

For headphones I would look at the sennheiser 598 and audio technica AD700
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphones-Burl-Wood-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Techn...1392585461&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica+700

clip on mic I use:(I would steer clear from USB mics only had problems)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedlink-I...F8&qid=1392585539&sr=8-1&keywords=clip+on+mic

sound card just make sure you get a asus one:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...ty-71-hi-def-pci-express-sound-card-dolby-dts

I would strongly recommend that you go over to head-fi, look around and ask questions on their forums and work out what is the best headphones for you.

the ones I recommended are good but might not be exactly what you are looking for.
    http://www.head-fi.org/

It takes time to do the research but at the end of it you end up with incredible headphones.

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I would spend some of that £300 on a real mic, as in Audio recording mic. Here is a an example of a pro audio headset. (like used in a radio station) No points in perfect sound if your team/clan mates can not understand you.

akg_hsc_271_02

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I hope you have tested every gaming headset ever made to determine such a point. Oh no, you haven't? Ah damn. Maybe next time you'll make a more well balanced comment, pointing out the pro's and con's of both choices and people will take you seriously.

My preference would be the QPad QH90 or the Asus Vulcan for comfort and sound quality. The QPads win on comfort (easily the most comfy headset I've ever used), and the Vulcans slightly edge them on sound quality.

I haven't tried the Corsair 1500 as I've seen a lot of reports of the headband cracking, and its always put me off. The Logitech G35s, although old are also excellent, though tend to clamp your head a bit when new (they do loosen up). I hear really good things about the Sennheiser G4ME range too, but they are a little on the pricey side for my liking.

You mentioned Steelseries: I'm not a fan at all. I don't even find their high end stuff produces very good sound.

Also, avoid Turtle beach (rubbish build quality). Razer stuff is OK (the Carcharias are pretty good), but I find you pay over the odds just because its Razer, and you could get better quality and comfort for less elsewhere. I have to admit, I haven't tried their Tiamat etc super high end gear.

Last edited: 17 Feb 2014
  6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

the new audio technica ATH-AG1 or ATH-ADG1 depending on whether or not you need noise isolation.

alternatively, check out the sennheiser PC360. should be slightly cheaper than the audio technicas

pair any of these with a xonar U3 for dolby surround and some mic effects, and you're good to go

avoid studio headsets, they're made to be very sound isolating and are as a result universally uncomfortable (they'll clamp your head very tightly)

a high quality mic is also pretty much a waste if all you're going to use it for is teamspeak or vent. if you want to record youtube gameplay videos or do some streaming, that's a different story

7. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

I'm not sure what they would cost overall to get across the ocean, but the Feenix Aria headset looks set to be pretty amazing. I have the mouse and pad from them, and they work phenomenally well together. Anyway, another option is the Sony MDR-V6's a friend inherited them from his father that passed away a while ago, and they have been going strong for over 30 years! then you could get a sound card and clip-on mic. (the Sony's have been popular in the music industry for a very long time)

8. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Sennheiser Hd 202s.
    All you need.

9. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

10. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I have tested many gaming headsets (tritton (owned), razer(owned), asus, corsair, platronics (but not their high end stuff), turtle beach and steel series). They have all been rubbish sound quality, didn't work properly and badly made. You can get some JVC RX 700 for £42 and they sound better, have better build quality and have a larger sound stage than any gaming headset I have tested. http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-HA-RX700-Deep-Bass-Headphones/dp/B0019H7S44

I hate gaming headsets because I think they are a bit of a scam basically. Most of them can be beaten by a £42 headphone.

I hope that someone doesn't go through what I experienced, and go straight to proper headphones. It will save them a lot of money, time and they will end up with a lot better headphones at the end of it.

I hope this will make people take me seriously....

Ficky Pucker likes this.
  11. docodine

you really think that someone has to go through the ordeal of testing out every single gaming headset before they can write them off as a whole? "dude you need to go and thoroughly test hundreds of different products before you can make that recommendation accurately"

why would you recommend a pair of £70 discontinued closed-back studio headphones to someone looking for a gaming headset with a £300 budget? not to say that the V6 is a bad pair of headphones, i enjoyed my pair quite a bit, but technology has moved on a little bit since the mid 1980s

joking i hope :lol:

for PC gaming comms? i would understand your recommendation if OP wanted to start broadcasting a radio program or something, but for his given use this gear doesn't make sense

Last edited: 17 Feb 2014
  12. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Bagman I think Parge just wants people to be a bit more open and say things like: "Of all the ones I have tested none come close to the quality of the HiFi headphones I have used."

Which from what you have posted now is exactly what you meant.

Parge No need to get sarcastic mate. Just explain in the same tone you wish them to use.

Either way you both want to help the OP so lets just be a bit more precise and polite about it. I am by no means saying I do not make similar statements guys, but I am trying to write in a more exact form. Lets be honest when it comes to audio it does have a large portion of personnel preference involved.

Like docodine said avoid studio head phones because they clamp. This has not been my experience with my AKG 271 MKII but I might be less sensitive and/or he might have used other model or brand.

13. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

My point is mainly that they are something that will last, and sony did come out with a revision a while ago. I would suggest going with a separate mic and headphones, since, as previously mentioned, the quality will *generally* be better.

The QPad QH-1339 is 300 euro (I don't know what it would cost to ship, etc.) They are based on Beyerdynamic headphones, and should have good sound quality, although I've never had the opportunity to try them myself.

14. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

The real issue here is that with this budget everything becomes very subjective. It's very difficult for anyone but you to decide what is worth the money and what isn't. The general consensus is that headsets aren't as good as music orientated headphones. In my experience this is true, sometimes dramatically so, but there are always exceptions.

If you're spending £300 you definitely need to look at your sound card and amp as well as just the headphone portion. It gets pretty complicated, and you could be forgiven for just saying 'bugger it' and getting a nice headset instead. Headsets are designed to be easy to drive because gamers don't, as a rule, use dedicated headphone amps. If you're buying audiophile grade headphones the expectation is that you will have an amp for them, and without a lot of reading it's hard to figure out which ones really need an amp to sound good and which don't benefit that much.

Personally I'd look at Sennheiser 598's and a nice simple sound card/amp combo with that budget and the intention of gaming/maybe some music here and there.

Like I said though, it's totally subjective. I expect this thread will reach a few pages :p

15. GuilleAcoustic

As Yslen mentioned, with this budget it's very subjective. OP mentioned that sound quality is primary, and with that in mind I proposes a balanced and versatile setup :D.

As an audio nuts, I'll never consider headset, especially gaming ones. I'll even avoid anything labeled "gaming".

Now, one thing the OP didn't mentioned: is "surround" sound mandatory ?

16. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I purchased a HD650, all 300ohms of it and all I have is onboard sound I have two options now.

- Get a Asus Xonar Essence (which apparently makes the 650 sound fine!, but not amazing).

Or learn about amps quickly.

Any one know about connection outbound from a PC to a Hd650 with correct audio gear, basic Asus + external amp?

17. docodine

IMO get an amp + dac if you want to do the hd650 justice

which xonar essence? the essence one is supposed to be pretty good, though reviews are scarce

how comfy is the hd650 + oculus rift? i plan on buying one once the consumer version is released

18. GuilleAcoustic

The HD650 are great cans. I'd suggest you to take a look at headfi forum. I'm certain many have this headphone there.

What is your budget for a sound card / external amp ?

19. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sennheiser-hd-202

20. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I've owned a lot of the top gaming headsets, currently sitting on my desk I have creative omega recon 3d, razer chimera 5.1 and a Logitech g930.

The creative is by far the most comfy and best sound quality it's my goto headset, I know it is not wired but I personally find no issue with the wireless system at all, if I was blind tested I couldn't tell if the headset was wired or not.

Also the Razer chimeras are not 5.1 like they state they are, they are only stereo on the PC of you use it as a headset, if you use them as only headphones they are 5.1,i had a massive argument with Razer over this

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk