1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Oops I Did It Again

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Instagib, 11 May 2010.

1. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I think I've just killed my third ASUS Striker 2 Formula. I know these are endangered species and i'm responsible, partly, for their demise. I have that on my conscience.

I need help. I'm at my wits end. Here's the long story:

Before Christmas i bought my first Striker as a replacement for my P5Q-NT Deluxe. There was nothing wrong with the P5Q; i just fancied the upgrade. The installation went off without a hitch and all was fine for a few weeks then during a non too intensive gaming session (30 mins on Day of Defeat from cold boot) the system cut out. On reboot the system then gave up loading Windows 7. Any attempt to boot after that was met by the system failing to POST. The fans and LED's would spin up, as would the HDD's. But just before the beep for a successful POST should sound, it would die.

Initially, i assumed the ghost of the PSU had given out, so that was duly replaced. Still no change. Next culprit was the RAM, swapped, no change.
    At this point i got fed up and swapped the boards; back to my old P5Q. That sorted it.

This was fine but i liked the Striker so i bagged a second off ebay. This was DOA as the prat that sold it sent it out in a cereal box by royal mail. Second dead Striker.

Still after another Striker, i ordered another off ebay (a more reputable etailer this time). THIS one worked long enough to read all the files off the windows installation disk but gave up at the the point in the install where it restarts. Same symptoms as the first striker.

So i dusted off the P5Q ready to revert to my trusty set up; but the affliction had followed over. Now my P5Q was doing it too.

This time, as i figured the Striker wasn't old enough for me to of killed it (surely?), I figured i must of damaged the CPU in all the too-ing and fro-ing i had made it do. I got a new CPU. And cooler while i was at it.

Finished the installation today (striker mobo) with The Best caballing job i have ever done. Press the on button with crossed fingers. But it just wasn't to be. I nearly cried.

Here's the set up and how its changed along the way:

ASUS P5Q-NT Deluxe <------>Striker 2 Formula
    E8400 @ 3.6Ghz--------> Q9400 @ stock
    Titan Fenrir --------> Corsair H50
    4Gb (4*1Gb) 1066 Crucial Ballistix Tracers----->4Gb (2*2Gb) 1066 Corsair Dominators
    XFX GTX285 XXX
    ASUS 8800GT TOP (physX card)
    Be quiet 700W ----------> Fata1ty 700W
    1Tb F3
    74Gb Raptor
    HAF 922(2*200mm fans, 6*120mm fans

As you can see, very little of the original system remains.

I don't know what to do anymore. Pressing the Clr CMOS button on the back doesn't do anything (besides, i've not been able to POST, so no oc profiles are at issue). The Q9400, the dominators, both vga cards, both HDDs' and both PSU's have been tried in another system and have been found to be sound.

Like i said; i just don't know what to do now. Does anyone have some input please? Does anything seem glaringly obvious to anyone?

I am sorry about the length of the post and if it at all sounds whiny. But i just want to get back gaming. :waah:

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Try unplugging everything form the board apart from the basics, ie power, one GFX card, no case cables, no S-ATA, just see if it stand alone posts. Failing that try removing it and testing it out side the case, just in case some thing is shorting on the case.

If both those things don't work i'd say it's dead :(

3. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

Yea i'd try using just one graphics card, as the ones that your using are both overclocked, so will be that bit more power hungry. The other thing is the amount of power on each of the rails? As when my psu was a bit dodgy (it had cremated the 12V connector into the motherboard) as soon as the graphics went under load it restarted, then wouldn't turn on for a while.

4. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Thanks for the replys.
    I'm currently doing the out of case builds. One striker down and no go, but I did have a chance to plug in the LCD Poster to see if that can shed some light on the problem. It says "CPU INIT". But i've tried two cpu's; both of which i know to be sound working order.
    I'm lost.