1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really bizarre GPU(?) problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by GenerationX, 26 Feb 2009.

1. GenerationX

GenerationX What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I recently changed some parts of my computer after a hardware failure. My motherboard and RAM died. My processor managed to survive so I've kept it. Anyway to cut a long story short -

My set-up's as follows:

Core 2 Duo E6750
    2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500
    4850x2 (Which I think is the cause of the problem)
    Asus P5Q Pro
    Coolermaster 700W PSU

My Problem:

I hit the power button on my case, all the LEDs come on and the fans follows. My hard drive also shows activity. Now here's the bizarre bit; I get nothing on screen, this automatically leads me to believe it's my GPU at fault (It's LEDs come on and so do the fans). I hooked up a keyboard and my headphones, I started hit to CTRL+ALT+DEL. All of a sudden I hear the Windows shutting down tone. This is a new GPU and I haven't installed the drivers (obviously) yet. I've switched from Nvidia to ATI and still have my old GTS drivers on my hard drive.

To exacerbate the whole problem I'm using an Antec 1200 chassis which doesn't have a case speaker. I have questioned whether it was my motherboard needing a BIOS update to recognise my processor but I doubted this. After checking my motherboard on the Asus site it proved to be right.

So now I'm left with all this hardware and nothing to do with it, I've already started the RMA process but can cancel it at any time.

I thought I'd gain Bit-Tech's thoughts before I sent it back as I could be wrong.

As always any help would be marvellous.

Cheers :thumb:

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Have you tried a different screen and cable?
    I had a similar problem with my 8800GT. Turned out the DVI port on my monitor had gone titsup.
    Switched to VGA and it worked fine.

3. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I would try badders second monitor / cable.
    Also if you or a friend has another video card, doesn't matter if its pci-e or pci, just use the right slot on your mobo, take the current one out and try the other one.

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Check your DVI cable pins, I had this on an Old Rig with an X1550 once, turns out it was the DVI Pins.

5. Ransoman

Ransoman What's a Dremel?

What monitor are you using?

I am having a similar problem and discovered it was because my Dell 19" lcd dislikes DVI signals from ATI graphics cards at native resolution. My only workaround was to use VGA. (several different ATI cards and ATI card powered machines proved this to be correct).