1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Success with Dating Apps or Sites?

Discussion in 'General' started by brose005, 23 Aug 2016.

1. brose005

brose005 What's a Dremel?

Just wondering if anyone has had any success on dating apps or dating sites? Is there one you would recommend. Only have tried Tinder which has been a crap shoot for me :eyebrow:

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Plenty of fish is probably your best bet it's free and men out number females like 200 to 1 but still it works, match was found to have millions of fake profiles and it's probably best to avoid, other then that I'm clueless I'm afraid.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Plenty of Fish is the only website I have ever gotten a date off of. I've used many different paid ones including Yahoo, Match, eHarmony, etc with zero success.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Back in 2008 I met a girl on Match. She wasn't all that pretty but I'm not crazy about looks so I wanted to talk to her a few times over the phone first. Within two weeks I had found out she had a gambling problem, was broke etc etc.

I remember using Yahoo dating back then too, again with no luck. Right toward my end of the time in the USA I contacted this really pretty girl (with blue and black hair) and never got a reply. I was a bit gutted, as we had a lot in common.

About three weeks later whilst aboard the cruise ship coming back she sent me this uber long reply saying she loved my photos, was a big RZ (Rob Zombie fan) etc where was I going to take her etc?

Ah well, fate I guess. Had I got involved with her I probably would have stuck around and not sorted out my head (no insurance in the USA as jobless).

But yeah, Match was full of fat middle aged women who were all demanding you take on their four kids. Joke tbh, I'd have had more luck at the cattle market.

I think my mate was right (it was them who paid for match.com for me ffs) when she said that people who use dating sites either want casual sex and that's it (POF) or are desperate, just like I was (I added that part). I came to my senses after that and realised I needed some time out any way.

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

It's all a numbers game this. The more you women you contact, the more likely you are to get a reply. I've had a few dates from POF over the years. about 4 or so. Which is 4 more than I got using Match or eHarmony.

To be honest though given what I've been through very recently just happy to be on my own, see my friends and relax - I'm going to be honest but currently I just want some no strings fun - not looking for anything serious.

6. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

In larger cities it's good due to the transient nature of its population. I found my current missus on OK cupid and after a bit we moved in together.

Would online date again, just be careful to meet people in public places so you can run away. Also don't lie about your height.

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I sincerely hope that was your opener :lol:

8. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

I had the best success with POF. Once I figured out what worked and what didn't, who best to target and when... Boy it was a good year.

Things not going well with gf currently, so I'll be seeing you soon POF.

9. brose005

brose005 What's a Dremel?

Wow! This was super helpful. Thanks for the help!

I was thinking of going with one of the paid sites after reading this article comparing eHarmony vs Match. I was thinking there would be more people actually looking to start something serious as everybody has to put a little skin in the game.

It seemed that Tinder was a bunch of ******** as many seem to just be on it for an ego boost or something. They are happy to chat it up, but once you starting talking about actually meeting up they go silent on me.

So it seems the consensus is to forget about the paid sites and go with POF. Glad I got your guys input before I wasted a lot of money on one of the paid sites. Well, I guess its time to work on my profile.

Thanks again for input :thumb: Much appreciated.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Ben

10. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Tinder depends ENTIRELY on your looks, doubly so if you're male. I can get dates on it but it's a numbers game. I have a friend who regularly gets 15 of every 20 women he likes matching him, but he's a very good looking guy with very good photos. Tinder works if you get a number the day you match - trial and error there.

PoF didn't work for me as I don't come across brilliantly in first messages. Either way, sort your photos out first for any site, first impressions count. Run them by a few critical female friends, and make the most of your assets (if you're slim, make sure your first photo shows that etc). Good luck!

11. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

After reading this i got POF just for fun and why the hell not??

Got 9 'meet ups' or whatever in the last few hours... shame you have to pay to see them. I know you get an email with their username anyway. I kind of feel awkward searching them (and letting them know I'm looking) to then not really find them attractive and leave it alone.

Its sort of uncomfortable

12. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

I've had great success in the past with OkCupid.

The general trend on there is to expose via the profile, gain attention and make a great first impression.
    From that point, you pop a message over, make it mid length (10-15 lines), be a bit cheeky, get a rapport going over 2-3 messages, engage, ask about them, and then arrange a meet up.

I've had a couple of 2-3 month flings, and an array of netflix and chills.
    The people on there tend to be more genuine than tinderites.

13. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

I see it as window shopping.
    They've popped by and had a look, you do the same.

They won't care if you don't chase them, they've got a lot of others visiting. Don't sweat it.

14. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Half of the ones that say they want to meet me are fakes. If your clever enough you can find who they are as on my Phone (Android) you get a small picture so when your going through the list you can match up the bigger picture to the little one.

The problem I have is finding the courage to send the first message and break the ice, there are lots of ladies I've seen who I'd love to get to know more about - I don't know what it is I just think given I've ended a 4 year relationship because of how she acted I'm not all too trusting of women right about now. They aren't all like my ex that much I do know.

To quote my father however, faint heart never won fair maiden.

Best advice I can give anyone is be yourself.

15. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I met a girl from OK cupid and we dated for a year or so, then I met a girl from POF and we accidentally had a baby and we've been together for 3+ years now.

I'd say it works if you have realistic expectations and as a man you need to be out going and make an effort (its a numbers game so there is a lot of effort to be made).

Try and avoid cut and paste messages as it's pretty obvious that's what your doing. Try to make your opening message 3 sentences.

1. A complement - (that's tricky without sounding sleevy but your Hi your cute, you've got lovely eyes etc etc).
    2. Something that shows you've paid attention - I notice you like X (movie music... ) I have Y similar interest.
    3. A question (make it easy for them to reply to you.. what's your favourite X (movie music meal drink etc etc.)

And most of all don't get bogged down with rejections (or being ignored) its a numbers game and girls get lots (and lots) of messages many of which are not polite messages so a good proportion of your messages will probably never get seen let alone read.

Oh and be honest... no point hiding the fact you have baggage, your only 3 feet tall or what ever. you don't need to advertise your short comings but just don't lie about them!

16. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

My best mate is married to a girl he met on a site.

I'm currently 1 year into best relationship of my life having met someone on POF.

Worth a go, my advise though, don't be a nob, from what I know girls get a barrage of idiots, be yourself, if it doesn't work on a girl, she ain't for you.

Good luck

17. Scroome

Scroome Modder

:lol: You make it sound like a military operation. Straight people :p

Male or Female, no-one likes someone acting like a mans' appendage

As Gold says, be yourself and find common ground to work on.

I met my now husband eight years ago through Facebook, of all things. I saw that he had an interest in Battlestar Galactica and found conversation through that. After that it was an eventual process or drinks and dinners, leading to here we are today. Two years married.

There are pro's and cons for people dating using sites, apposed to the more traditional methods. It's more common and perfectly accepted now though. If you joined a dating site ten years ago, your friends would secretly worry about you. These days everyone has been on one at some point.

How sexy times have changed.....

18. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I met my first girlfriend through an app on facebook (friendzii in case anyone REALLY wanted to know :hehe:), moved in together, had kids, got married and finally got divorced. That was the end of a 7 year relationship.

Then I tried POF, OKCupid, eHarmony, match and Tinder. Not all at the same time I might add, spaced out over the last year. And I had zero success.

Sometimes online dating really works, other times it's useless. As others have said, give it a go, don't be a knob and be yourself (unless you're a knob, then stay off the internet :p)

Last edited: 20 Feb 2020
  19. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Best reason to get someone I've ever heard!! (As long as it's the reboot) :thumb:

20. jrduquemin

jrduquemin Minimodder

I met my first girlfriend through a chatroom on IRC. Her first question in the chatroom was 'who likes Monty Python?' That was almost 20 years ago.

My current girlfriend I met through eHarmony and we've been together almost 5 years now :rock:

It's her birthday tomorrow :)