1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclock your DS (with video)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by olly_lewis, 19 Jul 2006.

1. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

I found this via Engadget and its a link to a tutorial, in Japanese, yet still interesting, where a DS gamer was able to solder in a few connections under his DS' hood and increase the clock to 1.7x and he was even able to solder in a jack that allowed you to switch between DS and DS EXTREME...
    Though you do have to be a master of the soldering iron and know Japanese and are prepared to void your warranty, go ahead and give it a look here...

The article...
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/19/how-to-overclock-your-nintendo-ds/

A video of the finished product...
    http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=8530

And the actual tutorial...
    http://nds.jpn.org/ndslite2n.htm

2. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

And the benefit iiiis......?

3. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Don't ask me, I didn't make it.... Though the game is faster and maybe it is more effective on Mario when moving from one side of the map to the other, speeding it up a little and then slowing it down when you reach your destination I guess.... But it is a good example of the potential and the ingenuity of the modding community, a example of what can be done with a little work and effort...

4. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

...Whats next? Watercooling?

5. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

thats just naff really

6. Lord Kordir

Lord Kordir What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't like to push the chip in a chassis that has no ventilation

7. Exitios

Exitios What's a Dremel?

Hasn't this also been accomplished with the SNES? I remember hearing that overclocking the processor doesn't necessarily improve perfomance as it does induce laughter. They had said that, while playing Legend of Zelda on the overclocked SNES, sprites merely flew across the screen and the system was (obviously) unstable. The game of course was unplayable, and the process in which you overclock the SNES is fairly complicated. I'm interested in what this would accomplish for the DS, though, since it uses real-time processing and graphics rendering. I'd be more concerned with it overheating, though, and it suffering the fate a few Dell laptops have experienced.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2006
Tags: