1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

GET A LIFE

[​IMG]
    Click image to go to final post

INTRODUCTION
    What the heck is this you might think with a title like that. Well ..it's my third project. You might have seen my other ongoing project ProtoHype, it's not dead or not even on a pause if you were wondering. The reason for doing this new project at the same time is because I had this idea that I just couldn't let go of. So I just had to do it. Since ProtoHype is also nearing the stage where it's about time to look in to the future hardware, I had this idea that this project might help me attract some sponsors. And also.. since ProtoHype is a ongoing long story, I wanted to prove to myself that I could design and build something small and fast aswell.

So basically, this project will be a small Mini-itx based system. The finished project will be a totally dead silent pc with no moving parts what so ever. No moving parts means no fans and that means a lot of aluminium for passive cooling. The finished pc won't be a monster gaming rig as you probably already figured out, it will be more of a webbrowsing/HTPC machine placed in the livingroom.

Why the title?
    Well It's something that I won't explain just yet. I think you might be able to figure it out pretty soon. Let's just say that there's a bit of irony involved.

The looks?
    The size is about 25x25x10xm and we are talking anodized an brushed alu. I won't give away much more than that but I'm pretty shure the heatsink will probably be one of the weardest looking so far.

HARDWARE
    • Zotac ION ITX A330
    • Corsair SSD Force 60GB
    • 90w PSU
    • Cooling: Aluminum + heatpipes

So.. let start shall we.
    As with most projects it all starts of with a big piece of alu. 10mm thick and 200mm wide.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Im off for a greate start. When starting the machine I was cheking the alignment and got my whole face splattered with that white oily liquid. Felt stupid as hell
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here you have the basic parts of the heatsink. Those shapes are just basic so far and will change pretty much before its time for assembly
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

I hope you will like this project as much as I like building it.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2013
    bugeye likes this.
  2. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Niiice alu works :D

3. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

4. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

Thats quite some alu. :)
    I'm looking forward on this one as well as ProtoHype. :D

5. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks..I'm glad you like em both

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Alu.

I'm in.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Sounds interesting, Shame no pictures of face with oily liquid on though lol

8. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

That Would have been waaay to humiliating :)

9. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Way..mini update time, got some hardware delivered today.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

First of is the Zotac ION ITX A330. Here you can see what's in the package. The kit I ordered is the PSU version.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The PSU is basically the same as a normal laptop charger and plugs into a small connector on the back of the mobo. For those interested.. I took a pic of the specs.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Yeah I know, 60GB isn't much, but unfortunately, money don't grow on trees so this will have to do for now.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

RAM's don't grow on trees either so my main PC was kind enough to donate these old sticks.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

And of course I need some new tools. So I ordered these kit with slitting saws. Thicknesses are 2/1.5/1/0.9/0.8/0.7/0.5 mm. I will only be using the 1mm on this project but Im shure the other ones will be usefull later. Obviously the black thing is the holder.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Tomorrow I will hopefully be able to try out these new toys :)

10. Mork

Mork What's a Dremel?

mITX, passive cooling and loads of aluminium?!

*subbed*

11. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

damn right...
    Thanks alot :)

12. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

What the heck.. I was gona wait with this update until tomorrow but I might as well post it now.
    Been spending the evening in the workshop practising some slitting saw cutting. I have to say it went much better than expected.

First up, facemilling. The finished surface might look rough but it's infact really smooth.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

It might seem like I did the whole slits in one cutt but it's actually several passes on each slit. You might also notice that I didn't use the sliting saw I order previously, that's because I found this other one in the workshop with a much better holder.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Slitting saw + coolant make a real mess. I was left with a big circle of aluminium and coolant goo around the machine and on me, you can actually see the messy circle in the background of this photo. I even managed to get some in my face without noticing it. It must have been when I was checking the alignment because I was left with a pretty nice aluminium mustach that I wore on the buss and to McDonalds without noticing it.:duh: This project has only been going on for a couple of days and I've already cowered my face 2 times with coolant and glitter. I wonder how this will end...:sigh:
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

There you have it.. this last pic shows the finished shape of one part of the heatsink. Well those small slits make a really inefective heatsink you'll probably think and yeah they do. But those channels are basically there for the looks as you'll probably understand a bit further into the project. And since I will be using a lot of aluminium I'm pretty shure that the cooling will be sufficient enough for that Atom/ION board.

13. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Hello
    The work with the heatsinks continues. Basically the same procedure as the previous one I made but this time I need several of the same size. I tried to speed up the process by preparing four pieces of alu at the same time as you can see in this first pic. The first pics shows the process of making the alublocks square. I guess the rest of the pics speak for themself.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

There you go. Take care

14. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Nice bit of milling there.

What machine you using?

15. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

oh.. your quick. Thanks.
    Actually I don't remember the name of the machine, since it's one of two pretty old machines in the workshop (I would guess from the 70-80s). I will make shure to check what name/modell next time.

16. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

Nice aluminium parts.

17. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Lego!!! :hehe:

Aewsome work!!!

Congratulations!!!

18. k0rben

k0rben I use my dremel as a toothbrush

Pretty megaheatsink you got there! So, basically, the body of the case will be created from those heatsinks, right?

19. lobster_johnson

lobster_johnson Fear the Claw of Justice!

It's like heavy metal and Tetris combined to make a sexy Tetris-heatsink lovechild. :D

20. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Just looks damn cool. More please :)