1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cable braid and Heat-shrink - no idea where to start.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by moddingnewbie, 13 Sep 2014.

1. moddingnewbie

moddingnewbie What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I'd really like to get into braiding PSU, SATA, fan etc. cables on a rig as opposed to trying to keep cable-looms looking reasonably tidy using cable-ties only but to be honest am finding what's available on the market from various re-sellers to be overwhelming.

Can anyone on here be kind enough to advise what size cable braiding and heatshrink they would recommend buying to braid these cables please?

Also any recommendations on where to buy would be appreciated. Understand that braiding comes in varying densities too. Would not want the colours of cables within the cable braid to be showing therefore at a guess a medium to high density cable braid really needs to be bought (unsure whether there's such a thing as medium to high density but hopefully you can get where I'm coming from so to speak) but cannot afford to buy really high end stuff and would not want to have to pay import duty, VAT etc. on importing anything either.

It'd be great to put an assortment of cable-braid, heat-shrink, plugs, sockets and pins together but I've no idea what to buy.

How would you make a start on this? Perhaps practice cable-braiding on a reasonably inexpensive PSU is a good idea. Really don't know.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

I've recently started braiding cables in my builds, after looking around I bought a load of 3mm for individual wires, 6mm for sata data cables, mostly from E22.biz as they are as cheap as I could find for highest quality. They also have Heatshrink in appropriate sizes and pins & connectors cheap too, I'm now making custom looms with coloured 18ga wire from Farnell (the colour of the wire shows through the sleeving a little).

(I'm new here and this is my first post so others may have replied before this arrives).

3. moddingnewbie

moddingnewbie What's a Dremel?

Hello MarkVarley, Thank you for your reply and the recommendations. I've literally just ordered from e22.biz too and the order has arrived extremely quickly. Not had a chance to start braiding any cables though.

What is the catalogue number of the wire you recommend from Farnell please? (at a guess this is available from CPC as well - don't know whether Farnell have a minimum order value for £0.00 shipping).

Thank you.

4. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

White - 2343945, Yellow - 2343947, Black - 2343943, Red - 2343946
    They have other colours too in that range 'Pro Power', best to use the same colour wire as your sleeving.

Minimum order for free shipping is £20 ex-VAT from Farnell UK

I've just ordered from E22 again, I've ordered sooo much from Nate in the last few weeks!
    I highly recommend the Lustro Crimpers, I was unsure as I usually just do the pins with my Gerber but this is soo much better quality finish and faster too and they feel like they'll last forever!