1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning My Future HTPC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mal, 19 Nov 2015.

1. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

This is my future HTPC design. Internal dimensions are 13"x13"x2.5". I want to name it "Nano-Might"
    and use one if not two R9 Nano's with an ITX board.

[​IMG]

What do you think?

I could not think of a better way to make a basic box look good in my living room. Any suggestions?

Mal

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

> You can't use more than 1 graphics card with a mini-ITX board - only one PCIE slot.
    > How are you adapting the PCIE slot to fit the graphics card into a flat design - 90 degree connector?
    > What cooling are you using - have you thought of airflow routes/fan positions?
    > Have you done a test layout of components?

3. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

- Bifurcation is possible in the ITX format with the proper board that supports it.
    - Riser card will work if you take above statement into account
    - Water but air cooling will work. Pull air from sides expel out the bottom. Only use one graphics card though in air cooled config.
    - See below:

[​IMG]

And that is with an R9 Fury and an ASUS essence stx ii.

Mal

4. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

Really, that's the opinion you're going to take on a Custom/MOD forum? :nono:
    Simply, I want it all. Why should I have to be banished to a dungeon to game? Why do I have to have a separate rig for every computer function I want to perform? Why can't my gaming rig be small enough to reside in my living room as my HTPC and be powerful enough to game?

Oh and this just one of two clients for the bedroom. The server is much bigger and better. This one will be the guinea pig until the server comes online.

Mal

Last edited: 19 Nov 2015
  5. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

Oh I'm very aware of the general consensus concerning HTPCs. But we Mod because we aren't satisfied with the status quo. But enough about what is, let's talk about what can be. Anyone feel the box could be prettied up a bit more?

The case is 2mm brushed aluminum trimmed in cherry wood or possibly oak with filtered mesh inserts.

Mal

Last edited: 19 Nov 2015
  6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I like the design, it looks very smart. The right wood & metal does the trick nicely.
    As long as you can get it cooled efficiently & quietly, it should be a beast.
    I'll be interested to see bifurcation in action, as I've seen it discussed on [H]ardforum but not put into practice.

7. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

Something else I threw together:

[​IMG]

This is a brushed aluminum case with polished stainless steel legs and feet. Not sure which I like better.

Mal

8. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

Ok this one is much better than the one above but still not sure if i like it better than the wood.

[​IMG]

Again, brushed aluminum with polished stainless steel. But I had to add air intakes to the sides somehow. So if I go this route I will cut holes that match the curved profile of the legs. I will offset the legs with black aluminum standoffs so air will be drawn in each side behind the legs and also make the case look like its floating between the legs.

Decisions decisions :wallbash:

Mal

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

OK, as mentioned already, it won't be HTPC, so let's call it SFF PC:)

Design is nice and simple.

Please remember to take into consideration all the cabling and watercooling fittings+tubing, when designing and shaping the case - sometimes cabling and tubing can take significant amount of space - placing just a hardware parts isn't enough. Like Bindi said, try it out and test parts layout to see how it spreads and how the tubing and wiring will go around. Just a thought...

Personally I like to go up, to minimise footprint of the case. Days of flat desktop cases (hmmm... 90s:D) with monitor on top passed, so now I like to minimise stuff on my desk. Again, personal preference.

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

It's not about the desk, it's about things on desk - no point having huge case if you can have small one.

11. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

Well this measures 13" x 13" x 2.5" Not much bigger than a sheet of paper. And it will never touch a desk, just entertainment centers.

Thanks for the compliment and suggestion. I had considered Cabling... Yes. Tubing... Not so much. :grr: I am tweaking that now to ensure fitment without volume creep. As it stands (or sits I should say :worried: ) its at 6.9L.

Mal

12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

The problem with fittings is that they stick out from the blocks pretty far away, when building itx SFF case. It's not a problem for regular cases, but in SFF it's a huge dilema. You need to consider spaces between fittings, lengths of tubing, sharp corners or angles etc.