1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PC Boot Issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by JamieElston, 27 Feb 2012.

1. JamieElston

JamieElston What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

just re-built my PC as I have made a nice perspex case mod. PC has been built as normal, but when I click the power button it doesnt boot...

Although, the fans spin on both the aircooler, PSU and graphics card for about half a second, just a few revolutions. The mobo lights are all on.

Any ideas anybody??

2. Harddiskdriver1

Harddiskdriver1 What's a Dremel?

I just built my first system, and I have the exact same problem. The most common causes seem to be the motherboard shorting somewhere, or a disconnected power cable. Neither of these were the problem for me, and although it seems you're much more experienced than me I thought I'd add my input. It was also recommended to me that I clear my CMOS, but I have yet to find a solution; it seems my motherboard was DOA :/

3. mrdanie

mrdanie What's a Dremel?

Yeah as harddiskdriver1 said could be something shorting, common case when putting components together, start from the beginning, take it all apart and make sure no screws are too tight or touching the moboard, then try the minimal parts connected, e.g. just one stick of ram if you have two, no dvd drive etc. Can just be a slow pace of trial and error, also make sure the power on connectors are in the right place. Failing that see if you can borrow a psu off someone.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

take it out the case.. boot it off the table with the minimum hardware needed- that's usual troubleshooting for this type of thing..

5. JamieElston

JamieElston What's a Dremel?

Ive done all the done, and everything works fine.

When I left the right side of the motherboard and take it a mm or two above the standoffs it works, when the motherboard touches the right hand standoffs nothing happens...so...its shorting.

Ive just found some small plastic washers on eBay and im gonna see if that does the trick