1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 'Pre-owned games worse than piracy'

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Warrior24_7, 14 May 2010.

1. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

You gotta be kidding me? They DO receive some money on the sale, in piracy they don't. So who is kidding who here?

*snip*

Last edited by a moderator: 22 May 2010
  2. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

@£60 a game they can FO.

Do games at a better price.

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

How did you come to that conclusion? :eyebrow:

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Care to explain how that would work?

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

EA Sports will start making $10 off of pre-owned games each time they're sold and the new owner activates it for online play.

Though I'm with everyone else, how does one come to such a conclusion, bar EA Sports?

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Oh yes, that's right, it's always us, the gaming community, who are to blame. God forbid we don't try and maximise a company's profits :wallbash:

Like unknowngamer said, make games cheaper - more people will buy and hang onto them.

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

It's funny how you don't hear about car companies complaining that the second-hand market is killing their business. The fact is that there is a second hand market for everything, and there always will be. Why should games be different and everyone be forced to buy it new or pay the publisher and additional sum with every second-hand sale?

8. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

It's pretty simple, if i can't get a game for what i think it's worth then i wont buy it.

9. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Im sure the OP meant that they recieved money on the original sale of the disc.

10. October

October Mariachi Style

Yeah but somewhere along the line a pirate paid good money too... :worried:

11. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I agree with warrior and M7ck. They do get money off the original sale. Somewhere along their chain something is sucking up their profits but saying that its the second hand market is bollocks.

Serious question. Who trades their games in for cash not new games? Everyone knows that you get more for the trade if you trade it for a new game.

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I don't do either. Stores which offer trade-ins screw you over whichever way you look at it - not just for the price they offer you for them, but for the price you have to pay if you want to use them as credit against a new game. The way to get the most money from your used console games is to sell them on sites like Play Trade/Amazon Marketplace, in my experience anyway.

But I have to disagree with M7ck. Of course they get money from the original sale - but that's not the point, that sale has already happened and they've already pocketed the money from that. We're talking about the second sale, and strictly, they do not see any money from this. When you consider that the person who sold the game may have also bought it used instead of new, things get even muddier. Typically most people either buy all their games new, or they buy them second hand to save money. There may be people who do both, but they will be mostly one or the other. So they will always make the profit from the people who buy the new games, but they will never, ever see any money from someone who buys all their games used/second-hand.

13. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

i buy games im really interested in new. ones im not that bothered about ill buy preowned.

its down to price and when i think its worth it

14. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I nearly always buy new but unless the game is something I'm really interested in, I'll wait until it drops to a reasonable price.

Case in point, I just bought Bayonetta from Tesco for £15. It's a game I've wanted to play following on from the reviews but the demo did nothing to persuade me to pay full price for it and I've liked previous games in that vein (Devil May Cry etc...).

15. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

I cannot remember the last time I have purchased a game over £20, and cannot picture the scenario when I ever will. I mostly go for pre owned games around the 10-15 mark. However, if new released dropped from £35-40 to around £20-25 I would be much much more inclined to purchase new games. Apart from console gamers who are prepared to spend £40 on MW2 the industry are ruining their sales, not increasing their profits by raising pc game prices.

16. October

October Mariachi Style

If the like of MW2 was £15-£20 I would have picked it up aaaaages ago, long before I got the chance to actually try it. Bad Company 2 is now £15, so I think I'll buy it instead :thumb: Silly Activision!

Edit: I don't own a single new-bought Wii game. (Though I wish I'd just bought a new copy of Madworld, £2 off for a ripped insert :duh:) so that's quite a lot of my money Nintendo or whoever will never see. Even bought the actual Wii second hand. Not really sure how many of the games I would have bought had they not been second-hand, probably would have taken longer over it waiting for sales and the like.

Last edited: 16 May 2010
  17. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Generally i buy new, the last game i bought second hand was farcry2 for the PS3, with all the crap reviews about i wanted to wait for a price drop, but forgot about it, then whilst having a look in game i saw it for £2.99 iirc so i grabbed it. That was 6 months ago and i still havent played it.

I think the problem from the publishers view is that, a second had sale IS a lost new sale, so 2 people buy the game but the publishers only actually sell a single copy. This is mainly because they believe the pirates wouldnt have bought the game anyway so there was never a sale to lose.

18. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

The idea that pre-owned games 'cost' the company more in profits than pirated isn't that illogical.

With pirates, a sizable portion of the audience will never buy the game regardless of if it is new, pre-owned, or in the bargain bin. Not every download is a lost sale for the company.

Pre-owned games represent the market of gamers who would have purchased the game new had it been cheaper. The cost to manufacture the product for these guys is still in the pennies, so they would turn a profit if they sold at this rate, but they will never receive this income. There is no reasonable solution to encourage this market to purchase new because even though the price of a new game will eventually drop, used copies can be on sale in a week of the release for half the price of a new one.

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

What's next? Going round to a mate's house to play some playstation if you don't already own one classed as stealing?

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Sorry but this post is just silly. You're comparing a reasonable claim to something entirely stupid and unrealistic.