1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Why mechanical keyboards aren't for me

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 22 May 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I suspect there may be many comments on this thread...

Well I've always love mechanicals and my Matias Tactile Pro Mac keyboard is one of (if not the) noisiest keyboards ever made. But it works great and the key action is perfect. Sure I'd love it to be a bit quieter at times but if you want an off the shelf UK layout Mac layout your choices are somewhat limited.

BTW That Saitek Cybork just screams GAMER GAMER GAMER at me. What's with those corner extensions? Is it at risk of tipping over like an overloaded crane?

3. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Topre - silenced topre ;)

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Good article, its difficult to find anybody saying anything negative about mechanical keyboards. And I had no idea they were noisy to use, which would drive me mad. I think i'll stick to membrane keyboards until something better and quiet comes along, i'm currently using a cyborg v7 just now which apart from the size is fine for my needs.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I think it depends greatly on how heavy handed you are - for example I'm typing this on MX Browns and I have learnt to feel for the tactile bump and therefore don't bottom out that much. As you prefer blacks over the rest I'd suggest that you try MX Clears. They are a heavier weighted switch with a tactile bump and, if you learn to feel for the bump (which is much more pronounced on clears than browns), you'll find that you bottom out less and, thus, have a much quieter typing experience

/my 2p

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

If you want something in between Mech and membrane try scissor switches. (like on a good laptop)

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Yeah it's not subtle in that department I agree but it's by far the quietest and most tactile membrane keyboard I've used too. Probably as close to mechanical as you can get.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Matias also do what they claim is the world's quietest mechanical keyboard, it's always difficult to know how accurate manufactures claims are but they have recording comparing it to other switches/keyboards including your Tactile Pro.

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

That is a good point and I did consider it but I found they usually suffer lack of travel which was a little off-putting for lengthy typing sessions.

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I wish to add that I too appreciate an article that doesn't follow the mass trend of what everyone else seems to like and it is good to hear once in a while what some people actually don't like... but the most important thing is the why. So Thanks. :)

Personally I have never owned nor used (that I can remember) a mechanical keyboard. I was thinking of taking the risk of getting one to replace my current keyboard (Logitech Illuminated) which I have to admit isn't exactly silent as it makes a rather audible 'tappy, tappy' noise as I type. I am waiting for a specific keyboard to come out though, that being the upcoming Corsair MX RGB... I will wait to see a review (hopefully from Bit-Tech) at which point I hope the issue of noisy typing is addressed, then decide if I will go for the mechanical version or the membrane version.

11. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Rocking a Microsoft sidewinder X4; membrane, but still loud and very tactile compared to some soft and mushy keyboards I've used and miles better than that awful Roccat thing I returned after a day( membrane with the stiffest most nasty feeling keys ever )....

12. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

And it's great, but not available in a Mac UK layout. I want a full height return key and exactly the same layout as on the laptop it plugs into. Anything else is too much agro.

13. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

A nicely done article, it's very rare to read an article against the norm.
    I currently use a board with MX Red switches for my work, the noise does irritate me quite a bit but I endure the annoyance because I can type a fair bit faster with it.

The Topre Realforce 87U is a good silent keyboard that you might like to try out, although it is quite pricey.

If you need a replacement rubber-dome keyboard that is rather quiet, the Microsoft Sidewinder might be one that's worth a look. I used one of those for a few years now and still find it to be my favourite keyboard for everyday use.

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

You can definitely learn to not bottom out when it comes to mechanical keyboards, especially with the heavier switches, so it may be worth having a look at for you, although they will still probably be louder than a membrane, silenced topre are meant to be pretty quiet, although they're quite an investment if you've no idea if you'll like them.

For me the noise is one of the best things about mechanical boards, so I can't really relate :p

Always nice to read an honest opinion though.

15. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I've been looking at getting a Roccat Ryos MK Glow/Pro for some time now just because of the reviews.

I'm really not bothered about whether keys are mechanical or not but if the keys are really noisy I can see it annoying me.

The most disapointing thing is that I happened to stray into a (gulp) pc world a week ago (gimme a break it was either that or prom dress shopping with the females of the house) and they had a Ryos pro with blacks but not on display nor would they open the box so I could finally see what mechanicals were like. Really annoyed as there is basically no where to try these things out.

16. iggy

iggy Minimodder

they seem to have thought of that. there is a sound comparison on the website, it sounds very similar to a rubberdome.

i couldnt go back, my last keyboard was a razer lycosa, and typing on that thing drove me crazy. hit a key slightly off centre and it felt like grinding rocks or something. worst purchase i ever made.

i bought a corsair k70 recently, and its a joy to type on. although i do wish id heard of massdrop before i bought it, some nice kit on there.

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Naa the corner bits are so that you can get a better grip when swinging for the nearest zombie during the apocalypse. Or the nearest gamer at a LAN party who just beat the living crap out of you.

Whichever comes first. :thumb:

18. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

My local Maplins stock 1 or 2 Razer mechanicals. While they're not out on display, the packaging does have a few exposed keys so you can demo the feel without removing it from the packaging.

Nice idea I suppose, but it occurred to me that I might not be quite as happy about it if I was buying said keyboard and it had been on the shelf for a while.
    It basically means a portion of the keyboard is effectively ex-display/demo.

19. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

MK's are just another excuse for people to indulge in internet Epeen bragging rights, posting photo's of said devices lit up like Christmas trees.

This need for peer approval, "look at me, look at me!!!, I was dumb enough to spend this much on KB!!"

....personally anyone that spends £100+ on a keyboard, a KEYBOARD ffs, is borderline certifiable.

It wouldn't surprise me if these keyboards only make an appearance for the photo's, then get put to one side, and a regular, quiet keyboard is then used on a daily basis.

They are too DAMN LOUD...

20. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I've never had that issue with PCWorld to be honest, they have always been happy to open a box, but then I do try to go at the best time for them when there are not many customers. This was also the main reason I had nothing to do with the YoYoTech store on Tottenham Crt Rd before it closed. I think it is disgusting practice for a high street store not to open a box for a potential customer.
    As long as the price isn't too much higher, I will most likely buy my next keyboard from Amazon, just so I can try it and return it for free for a full refund should I not like it.

Tags: Add Tags