1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrible PPD

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by TrekkieStu, 20 Jan 2015.

1. TrekkieStu

TrekkieStu What's a Dremel?

Hi there everyone, I'm new to all this and was hoping for a little help. I'm running a core 2 quad q8300 and a R9 280X and my combined PPD is about 6000. After looking at some of the other threads I now know this is stupidly low. :( I'm using the standard F&H client. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Hi there.
    If you are new to Folding, then you need to get yourself a PassKey from Stanford - the PassKey should help boost your points because it allows you to obtain a Quick Return Bonus (QRB) with some Work Units.

Also is your Folding client actually running both the CPU and GPU?

3. TrekkieStu

Getting a pass key helped and my PPD is settling on 50000. GPU is working at 93% and CPU is working at 100% so both are folding. Is this still quite low for a r9 280x?

4. DocJonz

It does sound too low - what's the estimated PPD for each, i.e. for the CPU and GPU separately?

It might be (as it is with nVidia GPU's) that you'll get extra benefit by running on one less CPU core, allowing the CPU to feed the GPU ...

5. TrekkieStu

Came back from work to find the PPD is just going up and up. Now it's on 85000! 80000 for the gpu and 5000 for the CPU. How do I run on one less core? I just clicked automatic on the installer and it did the rest?

6. DocJonz

You would need to go to Configure Folding Slots (see in particular Figures 4 & 5). You should have two entries - CPU and GPU - select CPU and Edit, then adjust the CPU's number (-1 by default), to 2 or 3 (2 would be preferred as the client doesn't like a prime number of CPU threads ...), then Save.

7. TrekkieStu

I think my PC is just trying to turn me insane. It topped out at about 105000 PPD. But has been all over the place in the last few days?? Went back to about 6000, then up to 24000 and as I type this its very slowly pushing up past 47000. I think I'm just going to leave it running in the background and not pay too much attention to it otherwise I will go mad trying to figure it out. Thanks for your help getting the passkey.

8. DocJonz

If you look at anyones user stats (your EOC stats are here for example, and mine are here), you will see that they bob around all over the place. This is natural. What EOC does is work out your PPD on a seven day running frame - this tends to smooth things out and gives you a less maddening(!) value for your PPD compared with what the FAHClient would indicate.

9. TrekkieStu

That makes it more clear thanks. Oh my god I looked at your points!!!!! How do you achieve so many points?? Are you using just one machine? What are your specs?? Just looked at Catalyst Control Centre and now my gpu is sat on idle, this pc is going to give me grey hair! :(

10. DocJonz

I have somewhat more than one PC Folding :blush:
    Here's a snapshot from a couple of years back of the sort of kit - it's not quite so mad now ... honest :D

11. TrekkieStu

Wow, they must pump out a fair bit of heat!

12. DocJonz

Yep - Excellent at this time of year :D