1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Nerf Gun Modding

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 30 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I remember at uni we all bought cheap "gadget shop" paintball guns. I started the trend of modding them by replacing the 10ball tube with a 50 ball hopper (1/2 a coke bottle) and spraying it green to hide better! Happy days!

3. ev1lm1nd666

ev1lm1nd666 What's a Dremel?

I'm a (sort of) grown man and I want all of em! I can see me starting a collection to use with my son. What could be better eh? A good day's shooting between father and son!

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I would actually PAY to have one of these. Someone needs to start this up as a business!

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Many of the modders linked to in the article do actually take commissions and sell some of their models.

6. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Makes me want to dig up my old guns and give it a shot :D. They could definitely do with more power haha.

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i considered buying a maverick to have a go at modding one not so long ago, i'll get round to it soon enough.

i reckon ive painted enough 40k orcs to know how to drybrush, so could probably manage a nice paint job

8. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

In my years living in Japan. A friend and I went on a shopping spree for BB guns. After he posted a smoke bomb through my door and when I opened it he shot me with a glock, I planned my revenge. Our apartments had the bathroom door near the front door, so I put the plastic silencer on my PPK and poked it through the letterbox waiting for him to leave the bathroom after his shower. My legs were going numb waiting and just when I thought maybe this wasn't a good idea I saw a shadow movement leaving the bathroom door. I realised I could only hit him from just above the knee and lower, so I gathered all my Steve Davis trickshot knowledge and went for the kill.

The bullet ricocheted off the hard floor and shot him right in the nuts! I ran leaving the scene with the cries of "ARRGGGHHHHHH!!!!! It's Bleeding!" mixed with my maniacal laughing!

So we then made a truce to never attack each other again since we had lots of disposable income and the BB Gunshop had 6 bullit firing shotguns which would have been a rather dangerous playtime.

So we went about modding them to see how powerful they could get and great they would look. The PPK could'nt really get any better since it was cool as it was. However, the beefed up the glock and smaller shotgun went a little too far when windows began to brake!

So now I have introduced my son to the Nerf guns and apart from the odd random attack with the Havoc while I'm gaming. I keep a Nite Finder tucked behind the monitor to return fire once I hear the empty click.

TCoZ likes this.
  9. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I can see their work, but I can't see how to contact some of them unfortunately :(

10. CardJoe

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

honeslty though for the money he's asking, do it yourself. its literally a silver base coat and then a black drybrush

12. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

ok, I am definatly going to have to give this a go now.

13. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

This is awesome! Do the nerf gun's dimensions limit the mods to guns that look like they're from Gears of War as opposed to weapons like the M4 and real life rifles?

14. CardJoe

Let us know how you do in the Project Logs!

I wouldn't have thought so. The sniper rifle, for example, looks pretty realistic.

15. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

I've been slowly modifying a maverick for some time now (i.e when i get round to it) The cylinder swings out all the way now and after adding some resin into the cylinder it has enough weight to be able to spin it and then flick it closed :D

It's a shame they don't sell the longshot over here, the only way to get it is ebay from the US at stupid shipping prices :(

16. CardJoe

Mine does that too. I've seen some mods where the entire cylinder just pops out, allowing you to shove in a second fully loaded cylinder straight away too - though it's an extensive mod to do and you need at least two mavericks.

17. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Seeing articles like this makes me wish I had money :(

18. dylawesome

dylawesome What's a Dremel?

This article is in serious need of talking about this guy.

Boltsniper is the guy who's responsible for making a 'nerf' gun with the darts fed in shells through an AK47 magazine, to a bolt action gun that in theory can shoot over 150 rounds per minute, over 100 feet.

19. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Preloading the spring with pennies won't improve the power of the gun. The spring rate is constant and isn't affected by static pre-compression. So, if the spring has a spring rate of 1lb/in then it would require 1lb of pressue to compress the spring 1 inch. If the same spring has a maximum compression of 4 inches then it would require 4lbs of pressure to fully compress the spring. Laws of relativity dictate that energy out must equal energy in so the maximum force that can be exerted by a 4 inch spring with a spring rate of 1lb/in is 4lbs. If you preload a 4 inch spring with a 1 inch spacer then it can only compress 3 inches and this would require 3lbs of force. 3lbs in = 3lbs out.

This is not to say that adding pennies into the gun will reduce its power. The power is dictated by the travel of the slider and the spring rate of the spring. To increase the power you would need to use a spring with a higher spring rate (a harder spring basically) or increase the distance that the slider can travel to fully compress the spring, assuming that it is not fully compressing already.

20. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

Wow some of those guns look really nice. Can't wait until you publish the article on RC stuff since i raced rc cars for a good few years.

Tags: Add Tags