1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD posts another loss, predicts upcoming revenue dip

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Feb 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Makes stark reading for those expecting AMD to offer Ryzen at cut-throat prices...

3. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I don't expect cut throat pricing but I do expect them to be notably cheaper than Intel equivalents. This is simply because they have been down and out for so long they need to regain name recognition. They can slowly increase prices over the next few years with every product release as that happens.

Frankly so long as they are knocking on the door of intels chips I'm all in, just to support a more competitive market. Sounds like the 6 core chip has been cancelled, which is a Shame as that was the one I was looking at.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yes I heard that. However, I have also heard rumours that it isn't true. Nothing has been confirmed by AMD yet though, so hey there is hope :)

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Good news is that there's only another month or two to wait until Ryzen materialises. It'll be nice to have some actual definite info about the Ryzen range, so let's hope for a full range being released from day one rather than a flagship launch with the rest following on later.

6. Vault-Tec

Asus showed off their boards yesterday, including the stunning Crosshair VI. However, they also showed plenty of other boards including much cheaper looking ones. CHVI has 8+4 pin though, should be epic !

But yeah there are plenty of 350 boards being shown too. MSI have a couple of rather nice looking ones inc an MATX board :)

7. rollo

rollo Modder

There margins would look worse if they split up the Q3 charge as most companies would. The fact they are predicting revenue drops either means paper launches of Ryzen and Vega or very expensive for products that they do not expect big sales numbers for.

Think people expecting dirt cheap Ryzen or Vega might be in for a shock.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Or an inability to produce Ryzen in any significant quantity (wouldn't be the first time, some people remember the stock shortages when K8 first came out).

As for Vega, no reason that would be cheap, unlike with AMD CPUs there are still more than two people out there with AMD GPU brand loyalty.

9. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

You have to build them which will get accounted for this next q, but you don't get the money from sales until next q. Factor in they need to clear current stock (probably at a discount to oems)

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Please elaborate.

11. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Not sure I can wait until March, looks like Intel for me :(

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I think he means it uses a 4-pin EPS and an 8-pin, so more power for the board.

EDIT: yes it does -

[​IMG]

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I hope Ryzen and Vega are good performers first and foremost. I think many enthusiasts want a big team red comeback.

14. Vault-Tec

Yup that's the one :)

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

nowt on ram speeds supported

16. perplekks45

Well, yes it does use an 8-pin and another 4-pin to power the mainboard. I saw that on the pictures.

But my question was more aiming towards how exactly that is an advantage? Not trying to be a smartass, just genuinely interested aka clueless.

17. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

More power connectors = More power safely used by the board = Better scope for overclocking!

18. Flexible_Lorry

Flexible_Lorry What's a Dremel?

I do wonder how AMD has survived so long against stiff competition from Intel and Nvidia. I realise they have their fingers in other markets but they must have solid financial leadership.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nah, they've just been selling off the family jewels for the last few years.

2008: AMD sells off its digital TV division to Broadcom for $192.8 million.
    Later in 2008: AMD goes into 'partnership' with ATIC to form The Foundry Company, a new company representing AMD's entire manufacturing capabilities.
    2009: AMD sells its embedded graphics division to Qualcomm for $65 million.
    2012: AMD sells the last of its stake in The Foundry Company, now known as GlobalFoundries, for an undisclosed sum, becoming a fully fabless chip company.
    2013: AMD sells its Texas headquarters for $164 million, meaning it traded outright ownership for a cash injection and the need to pay rent every month.
    Later in 2013: AMD begins selling more buildings and leasing them back.
    2015: AMD spins out its assembly and test facilities and sells 85 per cent of the resulting entity to Nantong Fujitsu for $371 million, meaning that it now has no ownership in its manufacturing facilities and only a minority ownership of its test and assembly facilities.

Bear in mind these are only the sales that I've covered for the site, and you get an idea of how AMD has been funding itself since the launch of Bulldozer.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2017
  20. perplekks45

Sounds healthy...