1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VMware 3 folding - Machine ID??

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by 1Razor, 14 Feb 2010.

1. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

Hi guys hope you can help....

Just set up my new i7 920 D0 machine @ 3.6Ghz

Question. On the Systray client you could set the Machine ID to prevent clashes, I have just setup .vmx using the reconfigure button and there was no where to input a Machine ID. Have I missed something or is it not required under VMware???

Question. Once I have completed my 10(8) a3 cores do you think 3.6Ghz will be enough to complete bigadv in time (running 24/7)??

Tia

Ray

2. 1Razor

Ah OK looking at my FAH text.log, it has automatically been issued Machine ID 1, didn't know it would do that. Question answered really sorry about that DUH!

Other question remains though, hope you can help?

Ray

3. cdb

cdb No comment

Try it and see. I think it should, but it'll be towards the slower end of the bonus scale I'd expect.
    I'm only running 3.9 on an 860 and it's averaging 37-38mins.

4. Frank_Kehoe

Frank_Kehoe Folder

I have my i7 920 D0 overclocked to just over 3.6ghz and it just finished a bigadv in approx 2 days and 14 hours and I got over 54000 points for it.

5. 1Razor

Thanks guys, sounds good, just need to finish those a3's now and see how it goes.

6. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

Machine ID is not important in the VM as it has no bearing on your system the VM will have its own user Hash you can freely use Machine ID 1 on your GPUs

7. 1Razor

I need to come back to my first question again, just set up VMware on my second folding rig for the extra points and this has also been given Machine ID 1, will this clash with my i7 folder or does the ID simply count on the PC that it is running on.

8. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

I have only had issues with it on the pc i'm currently folding on.

Had some problems the other day with the VM not shutting down quickly enough, server end, and causing conflict issues but think you will be fine on a different pc.

Seems that way here. :thumb:

9. leexgx

short answer is no

bit longer each PC and VM gets its own user hash that is got from folding server when you first start up the client, that is used so it knows who has what

only clash you get is if the GPU and the WinSMP client had the same user hash (the VM is an virtual machine you could run 4 VMs with same ID {do not run more then 1 VM per pc} they have there own user hash for each VM)

10. 1Razor

Excellent info guys thanks very much! Just to play safe however I have amended the config file using notepad to give each process a unique Machine ID.... Probably won't kick in till next WU starts though.

Ray

11. leexgx

each PC and VM will have its own user hash so same ID conflicts will not happen, HFM.net will warn you if Client ID's are matching

(HFM.net was very useful for me as it pointed out to me that i did an bit of an ops i forgot to set one of my GPUs to this team and my name so for the last 3-4 months i been folding for team 0 on one of my GPU :eek: )

12. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Rofl I bet that was a bit of a kick in the balls :)