1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Best Game Engine? (CryEngine 3 vs Unreal Engine 3 vs Frostbite Engine 2 vs Others)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dae314, 26 Oct 2011.

1. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

All right people, I wanna start a topic about game engines. I started getting curious about this when I wondered, "hmm... I wonder if Crysis 2 looks better than BF3...". That got me a whirlwind tour around the internet looking at comparisons between the Frostbite 2 Engine and CryEngine 3. Along the way I started picking up information about other engines like the Anvil engine, Unreal Engine 3, and EGO engine. I was mainly looking for graphics comparisons to start with, but I quickly found out just how many different factors the game engine decides about a game. Popular debate usually revolved around Unreal Engine 3 and CryEngine 3 in the places I looked, however I think more articles will start to include Frostbite engine 2 in the mix once BF3 gets seated firmly.

So now, I come to bit-tech for aid. I'm still mostly interested in graphics and physics, so I have this question: what are the advantages and disadvantages of whatever engines you know of in terms of graphics and physics, and out of them all which do you think is best in those 2 categories?

Discuss.

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I vote the 4A engine in as one of my personal favourites. The engine that Metro 2033 is built on, for those of you that can't remember.

Phenominal DX11 engine in my opinion. Just a shame it's optimized up to the eyeballs for nvidia hardware.

3. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

UE3 for the ease of use in my eyes; kismet makes life much easier :D

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Purely from the incredibly awesome games made and the length of time it has now been going for it has to be the Source engine.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

The new Unreal engine looks promising, but noticing a lot of similar effects in Frostbite 2.

Same with Crysis 2 and BF3, they do look quite similar in many ways, possibly due to the new effects that are only just starting to be used. BF3 look more cohesive as it is DX11 from the ground up.

Also like the 4A engine, some of them best looking moments in gaming there, although I can't imagine what they used to develop these games, we're only just getting cards that will run them smoothly with everything turned on.

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Umm, Cryengine 3 why? Last time I checked Cryengine 2 offered far superior visuals and physics...

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The Rage engine. :D

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, Rage for sure (not the ID Tech 5 engine used in the game Rage, but the engine used in GTAIV)

9. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I think the Frost Bite engine is brill :).

10. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Unreal Engine 3 was truely magnificosoto. (Random word.)

11. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Source engine or Unreal3

The Cryengine 2 is way too bad a performer to even be considered one of the best, yea it looked good but it didn't do anything revolutionary.

Source however has been proven to be able to quite a few things, same can be said about the Unreal3.

12. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Frostbite 2 without a doubt.
    Crysis is showing its age now even maxed.

13. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

For technical prowess: Frostbite 2 by far. It is truly bleeding-edge.
    For ease-of-use and customisability: Unreal 3. Very good general-purpose engine

Source engine gets an honourable mention for still being alive after this long, and the wonderful games it has supported.

14. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Gamebryo :lol: I make myself laugh.

Technical Prowess: Frostbite 2
    Ahead of it's Time: Cryengine 2
    Quirkiness: Modified Unreal Engine used in Borderlands

15. Deders

Deders Modder

I thought it performed well, before the DX9 patch I could play Crysis2 smoothly, highest detail with 2x 9800GTX+'s and with DX11 it runs smoothly on my 560 TI, I think there was one point it dropped to 24Fps during a cutscene.

I do think the DX11 content was added on and not really optimised, any level with the sea in it had tessellated water running under the entire level for instance, which made it run slower on some hardware. Judging from the tech videos, if the whole game had been made in DX11 then it would look at least as good as BF3 but it wasn't and doesn't quite.

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ive yet to see cryengine 3 do anything decent, crysis 2 was meh visually, the DX11 desselation was sloppily added resulting in lots of broken and out of place segments.

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Renderware, bitches

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

No I meant ID Tech 5. :p

19. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Serious Engine 3 (presumably) - if its anything to go by its predecessors, it will look fantastic, and run beautifully even with 100 000 000 billion gajillion monsters on the screen! :)

20. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

It's amazing how wide spread everyone's opinion is on this :O