1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's your (home) backup/redundancy procedure?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Guest-16, 8 Dec 2015.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Backup and redundancy is something I've been stressing over for ~10 years now. In the beginning of the 00s I used to use DVDRWs and even tried a tape drive, but eventually gave up.
    Currently I do copy/paste redundancy manually out of iterative paranoia, but I'd love to improve it and know what others do. Everyone has a limited budget and different amounts of data that are mission critical vs nice to keep vs meh.

My NAS (No UPS, Win 10 PC w/ remote desktop admin):
    [2x3TB (mirrored) + 2x1TB SSDs movie data] - all data manually mirrored to another 1x6TB

Cloud:
    1TB OneDrive mapped to Z:\, then Robocopy mission critical directories (fam pics etc) to the Cloud periodically.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I really ought to buy a NAS for such things but other purchases keep getting in the way :(, currently I have a 1TB Samsung USB 3 hard drive and don't back up anywhere near enough.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

2 x 2tb mirrored arrays and then a manual copy of important stuff to a separate TB drive in another machine.

That's about it :)

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

My data doesn't change too much:

6TB low power Synology NAS always on. That mirror backs up to HP microserver bi-weekly.

Most important stuff are backed up to various free cloud services by NAS.

Other important stuff but large (eg. family photos a couple hundred gigs) are backed up on a portable drive and placed at my parents every few months.

5. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Luckily for me I do not have a job which is computer/ data dependent so my backups purely concern personal photos/ videos/ music.

With this in mind I keep 3 physical 1tb backups (2 in a single ICY BOX enclosure constantly attached and one which is removable) and one that I leave with my parents and backup once a year (seems paranoid by my wife would be in bits if something happened to the house and we lost all our family photos)....edit....Just noted Wuyanxu's last comment and it seems I'm not the only one.

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I backup my work folders only, i do not need OS backups or multimedia backups. So my i simply backup via Crashplan to two different locations (local server at home, remote server at workplace).

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I was tempted by Crashplan if I was doing incremental backups to Cloud, but my pics are 165GB now and incrementals would take too long (my first copy up it still going 2.5 days later at 1.3MB/s upstream). I'm now tempted to (somehow!!...) make a batch file that executes a fixed Robocopy command (Robocopy e:\photography "z:\backup\photography" /m /e /purge /mt) and then tie it to a service that actives on the first day of every month.

wuyanxu - Are you automated?

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Mine's a bit... overkill. First, all important work-related stuff is in a folder which is synchronised among the desktop, server, and laptop, with simple versioning and soft-deletion. Then, the work-related stuff on the desktop is backed up to the server via Deja-Dup (Ubuntu's stock backup software) along with things like photos, music, and videos, plus the contents of my home directory, daily with versions kept until space is low - I think I've got daily versions of my data going back a couple of years at this point.

The server stores the backups on a two-drive Btrfs mirror, which is scrubbed (all data read and checksummed, and any errors corrected by finding the duplicate data on the second drive) once a week. It also runs Crashplan, which backs up everything - including the Deja Dup backups from the desktop - to an external USB drive (my "in case of fire, grab this" onsite backup) and Crashplan Central's US servers, where I'm currently storing 1.3TB of my data (most of which is redundant duplicate data - I'm using under 700GB of my desktop's data drive at the moment, and a big chunk of that is downloaded stuff that I don't back up - I really should empty my download folder, it's got ISOs for Linux distributions going back five years in it...)

So, in short: I'm good. Drive failure on a single machine? Data can be restored from the server. Drive failure in the server? The mirror takes care of that. Server failure taking out both drives? The USB drive should survive. House fire? Grab the USB drive. House fire when I'm not there and for some reason don't have my laptop? Restore from Crashplan to new server, restore from new server to new desktop. Bosh.

Oh, and I nearly forgot: the work data is *also* uploaded to a free account on Hubic, a cloud storage platform, 'cos it makes it easy to share big archives with clients. Then the music is also backed up to Google Play Music, again for free, with the added bonus of easy streaming from any 'net connected device...

9. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I use CloudBerry to backup my data into AWS, I only need the offsite backup for a total-loss DR situation as I hold multiple copies of my documents on-site with VSS on the server.

I use S3 for general documents (instant access to this data) and Glacier for media as restore times are quoted in hours.

At the moment I have ~30GB in S3 and ~2TB in Glacier and it costs about £15/month ($1.5 S3 + $20 Glacier)

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I looked at Glacier, as it's supported natively in Deja-Dup, but opted for Crashplan 'cos it's $5 a month (paid annually, as a $59.99 charge) for 'unlimited' storage - saves me about $180 a year compared to Glacier, and there's the option of having 'em send you a disk with your data on to save you downloading it all if you need it (limited to the US, but there's nowt to stop you sending it to a friend who can then send it on to you.)

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

/takes furious notes! I'm a Microsoft-whore though, so your native Linux dodums can't help me :(

Despite our single method of egress limiting our house fire survivability anyway, I should really externalize my 6TB drive for this reason. (Or buy a USB 3/3.1 one).

I should also really use Google Play Music. Following shortly after, I should really clean out my music dir. What kills me though is that Goog software STILL doesn't recognize FLAC :(

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I don't need a lot of space, so I have a live archive on three 1TB HDDs in RAID 5 in my Microserver, which automatically backs up weekly to a 2TB enterprise HDD (also in the Microserver). The 2TB drive is backed up to a portable 2TB USB drive.

The important stuff, photos and personal documents etc.. is also stored on a small encrypted drive, off site, but I may look to move this to the cloud; if I can find a happy balance between encryption and ease of use.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

What's your (home) backup/redundancy procedure?

Prayer.

It doesn't work too well and I wouldn't recommend it.

14. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

What's a backup?

15. Gareth Halfacree

I'm sure there are Microsoft equivalents (Crashplan, certainly, is cross-platform). If not, allow me to quote the UNIX neckbeard from Dilbert: "Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer."

I know what you mean about the single egress, though, living as I do in a back-to-back terrace. Well, two, if you count climbing onto the steeply-pitched roof and hoping you can reach a neighbour's dormer window before falling as a valid exit point.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

17. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

All important data is stored on the server which runs windows backup every night
    Critical data is saved to OneDrive which is then sync'd across every PC and tablet I own
    Have a usb pen for backups when im not online and archive 2TB drives for other backups

18. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I only backup important stuff in one drive, mostly precious photos and videos. Films and music can be easily replaced. I have no BMR recovery solutions either so if a OS drive did die then a full reinstall would be on the cards.

19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Currently very haphazard.

Got a Microserver with my media, with most of it backed up on 3 external drives at the family home (which haven't been updated in quite a while), with my photos then also backed up on another external if I remember correctly.

However nothing regular, think it may be something I genuinely look into in 2016, try to get some semi-regular system setup.
    Basically just involves me paying money which is why I haven't done it yet :p

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Current backup plan is 'Meh, it's nothing I can't re-download...'