1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Weird files keep appearing on my desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by ModSquid, 8 Mar 2016.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Another day using the PC and another puzzle I find myself unable to solve.

As above, I keep getting strange .sdb files appearing on my desktop and am unable to determine where they're coming from, how to open them, or why nobody on the internet appears to have had this issue before (although after the third or fourth page of Google clickbait, I did get bored).

They all follow a filename format such as "04_03_2016_16_29_52.sdb" and have a blank sheet as the icon. Attempting to open one yields no fruit and kills Notepad. I'm assuming the db might mean a database entry (?), possibly Spybot Database (??) but it might also be "distribution".

Has anyone seen this before?

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You don't use OpenOffice do you? The SDB format is used for OpenOffice Base (databases). Apart from that, I have no clue.

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I don't actually use it on this machine as I have MS Office installed. Cheers for the suggestion though...

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I've done a little bit of digging - even though trawling the system logs proved fruitless - and I have a suspicion it may be Ad-Aware-related. I can't find anything on the Lavasoft forums or Google though - has anyone else using Ad-Aware come across these odd files?

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i haven't used ad-aware for a long time, sorry, but the .sdb, could be signature database

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

They're not Steam-related are they? I just found one in a game folder too!

This is doing my head in...

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I assume you've ran Malwarebytes and done a virus scan?

I get odd files appearing on the root of my hard drives. Just huge strings of numbers. I assume they're something to do with Steam, as nothing comes up when I scan for viruses or malware.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I've had another one, not a couple of hours ago!

I managed to find this here:

But that still doesn't tell me why they're appearing. I haven't run MWB yet but will do in a sec; my other AV stuff should be running live but it won't hurt to kick those off as well. Your root files with numbers for titles - have you checked to see if they're the dumps that Win Update does and leaves behind? I found a heap of those some time ago - they might have been enclosed with curly brackets, from memory.

Hmm....I'll check that out. Cheers! Is that a kosher download link?

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yes, Sysinternals became part of Microsoft a while back so all their wizzy programs are available on TechNet, if you want a link to their front page it's https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals

11. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

What programs do you use regularly, any unique mail clients or bespoke softwsare?

12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Nope - nothing!

13. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

IT'S BL00DY COMODO!

Turns out it keeps a log of events and if the file gets too big, you can tell it to either save it somewhere or overwrite it; mine was set to save to Desktop.

The only reason I found this out was because I was actually on the Desktop when one appeared, so I tried deleting it and was told I couldn't as Comodo was using it. One search later for "Comodo+.sdb+files" and I had the answer. Shiny.

Some links in case anyone else is having the same problems:

https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/sdb-files-t65193.0.html

https://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-284-3043-.html