1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BBC iPlayer = Hogware

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 16 Aug 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Aug 2007
  2. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Media Player > Real Player at least

3. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

that Kservice thing is the same one thats used by 4od. I'm sure that this has already been said in the other thread though. Tried that service too, also annoyed the hell out of me. And its probably somewhere in the EULA saying "to use this service we will rape you PC any way possible"

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Sky, 4od, and iPlayer ALL use Kontiki, horrible bandwidth theft tbh.
    I luckily knew it had Kontiki in it and make a note to close the services after every session of using the iPlayer but it's almost as bad as spyware, I can understand WHY they've done it but then really need to make it use no more than say, 5k/s upstream.

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

6. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Whats the software in the screenshots as that looks like a handy tool

Kimbie

7. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

^^Agreed.

What is it! :D

8. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Task manager or firewall, don't know because I don't use Vista.
    Der.

9. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

The sad thing is that I would be happy to share my bandwidth to get access to on demand tv if I could at the very least control when it was allowed to upload or download. Maybe it would become a bit like bit-torrent however where nobody shares enough to get decent speeds for streaming - but there are ways around this. Private torrent trackers work like a dream because your download quota is directly related to how much you upload. If only the BBC could use this model, the iPlayer may actually be successful.

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Neither does iPlayer :D

11. FvD

FvD What's a Dremel?

That's Netlimiter.

FvD

12. mclean007

Also though, a lot of the reason people restrict their upload bandwidth on torrents is that the stuff they are torrenting is often of dubious legality, and the authorities will always go after the big uploaders first, so the perception is that by minimising your uploads you 'fly under the radar' and minimise the risk of a hefty fine.

With iPlayer, which is completely legal to use, this is not an issue. I have uncapped broadband and would happily allow iPlayer to utilise it freely (subject to me having control over it), but if I were the sort of person to download things illegally, I would be disinclined to allow bit-torrent free reign over my upstream bandwidth, even using PeerGuardian, for fear of attracting unwanted official attention.

13. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

If you are acknowledging you don't know (and guessed completely wrong), then why did you post? :confused: Idle, short, random and completely unhelpful posts are already covered well enough...

14. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

i prefer not to allow my downloads/uploads to use my whole connection because everything else dies when you do
    If you cant upload/download anymore then your Internet slows to a crawl, games practically stop, and everything starts timing out

I don't even think that having the service run after the program closes is the end of the world, what we do need though is the service to continue to follow your bandwidth allocations
    Just because you closed the program doesn't mean you want to give it all your Internet connection, in fact your likely to close it to try and save your Internet connection

Edit:
    Shame that petition is outvoted by the one
    "Make Jeremy Clarkson Prime Minister"

Last edited: 16 Aug 2007
  15. squeck

squeck Lurker

I use Netlimiter on my machines to limit p2p apps & downloads as i live in a student house (bittorrent kills warcraft for my housemates lol), you can use scheduling and control it remotely. i couldn't download 4oD last time i checked, as i have vista and the flash downloader thingy wouldn't let me and i couldn't be arsed to use a different pc :lol:

16. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

what they are doing is theft...

But see what happens when a lot of people start really using the tubes (harnessing the powa of P2P)...the infrastructure suffers. Time to upgrade, as I can see a cataclysmic system crash comin' up. :naughty:

17. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Ok thanks, will look at it

18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Real Player for Linux (or any other media player for linux) > Win Media Player. A crash would me nice tho, I might see some sunlight and they might actually upgrade their systems. My TSP has a *cough*backup*cough* system which caught fire some months ago (don't know how). They upgraded the tapes from 300gb to 1.3tb which is rather nice. Anyone up for a burning TSP?

TSP => Tubes Service Provider.

19. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

nope, 100% of your upload used = no download bandwidth available and 1.5+ seconds ping times.

Doesn't matter if said torrent is 100% legal or 100% illegal, if it maxes your upload, your connection will die a painfull death, that is why people want to limit upload.

I've never even heard of people restricting upload to 'seem more legal' at all in my experience

20. mclean007

All true (hence why I said subject to me having control!), and the software has to play nice with letting other software have a slice of the bandwidth as required. p2p clients really should make their traffic lowest priority and soak up the line only when you're not actively using it for other things, a bit like F@H etc. do with your CPU cycles.

However, a lot of PCs are left on a lot of the time not doing much, and I wager that if iPlayer was good with allowing other apps priority access to bandwidth, users with uncapped connections would be quite happy to let it have pretty free reign over their surplus bandwidth.
    Definitely happens - look at the headlines and the people who get busted are often sharing hundreds of gigs of music / movies / software, because it is they who are targeted by the authorities. It's bound to scare people who would otherwise be uploading loads to keep it down a bit.

Tags: Add Tags