bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old Yesterday, 18:00   #21
Wwhat
Multimodder

Wwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for president
Why do people here simply believe one commenter claiming Google ads are 'unobtrusive'? That is simply not true.
And as for the argument that you have a choice in using Chrome so blocking competitor ads is OK. I think they'll counter-argue that the adblock arrived long after first roping in people into using Chrome.
Plus apart from legal action there is also the chance the other players are going to deliberately think of a way to **** over Google in retaliation, like making deals that sites can only carry their ads or something.

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; Yesterday at 18:01. Reason: Avoiding the swear filter with accents is neither big nor clever. Well, it's a bit clever, I suppose.
Wwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:21   #22
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
My heart weeps for Ad Networks. No, wait, the other thing.
LOL! Yeah pretty much.

This is the advertisers own doing. They went with highly intrusive ads and strangely enough people started blocking all ads(who would have seen that coming), even the unintrusive ones.

Google needs to get people back on-side so that they are willing to accept at least some ads. A partial adblocker that only allows tamer ads through is better for Google in the long run. If the ads are passive enough, people won't bother installing an all out adblocker that will block Google's ads along with everything else.

Is it anti-competitive? Who cares! I refer you to Edzieba above.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:18   #23
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The advertising arms race stepping waaaaay over the line, with the types of intrusive ads mentions in the news piece, is why I use an ad blocker - it was our nuclear option - they hurt themselves. If I could be guaranteed no intrusive ads, I'd drop ad block without hesitation.

It could be a great tool to make advertisers step back from the really annoying ads, however, I seriously doubt Google is going to play fair with this.

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|980 Ti|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
David is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ad-block, ad-blocker, advertising, adverts, browser, chrome, chromium, google, opera, web, web browser, web site