bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > Serious

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Today, 17:11   #7221
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.
 
Nexxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 31,108
Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post
I don't think Theresa May has an ideology other than a broad traditional conservatism.
Like Corbyn's ideology is generic left wing. But he's made out to be the next Fidel Castro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post
Sure you need dispute resolution mechanisms, agreed by both parties, what's new there?
What's new is that the UK government does not want to be subject to rulings by the ECJ anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post
There is a difference between that and being subject to EU directives on domestic matters. And Europol, well really how on earth can this end up being contentious matter, Euratom, really?
Yes, really. The trade in uranium and nuclear products is understandably tightly regulated, and again there has to be a body that oversees that. The UK is dependent on that trade to keep its reactors going. Hinckley Point? Needs close cooperation with Euratom.

Same with legal cooperation on international crime, terrorism, international arrest warrants. There has to be a body overseeing the many intricate legalities of that, and that is the ECJ.
__________________
In memory of Kidmod-Southpaw (1997 - 2014), Teelzebub (1955 - 2016) and Waynio (1978 - 2016)

"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams"


Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:25   #7222
Xlog
Supermodder
 
Xlog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Posts: 391
Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidan View Post
Seriously though, after seeing how the health service is in NZ for 2 years people in the UK just don't realise what a special and amazing service the NHS gives. On top of being more cost efficient than any health service anywhere in the world (clicky) we all should do our damnedest to protect it.
If your definition of "the world" consists of 11 nations, then sure... Interestingly, the same survey (original) list UK as 10th for Healthy Lives ("mortality amenable to medical care, infant mortality, and healthy life expectancy at age 60"). So while it might be "efficient", the end result is not so good, to quote The Guardian - "The only serious black mark against the NHS was its poor record on keeping people alive".
Also, this survey places UK at only 14th in Europe, WHO ranking of 2000 places it in 18th, OECD - around 20th.
__________________
http://x-log.deviantart.com/
Xlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:32   #7223
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,731
Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
They are free to say as they please.

It's the same old BS anyway. Come back to me if she actually removes the democratic processes and rules of law
Indeed they are however what you say comes with consequences and for me the constant drip-drip of nationalist furor directed at anyone who opposes them is deeply worrying, that not how democracies are meant to work.

You may say it's the same old BS but it's really not, like i said it's one thing to attack other parties but when those attacks are levied at anyone who disagrees with you, including judges, the democratic system itself, and the public it's a very different thing, it may only be words but words have a tendency to turn into actions, authoritarian one-party states don't happen overnight.

They starts with thoughts that turn in to words, those words effect a nations mindset so the unacceptable slowly becomes acceptable, once somethings acceptable in peoples minds it's much easier to laws pass that reflect a nations mindset.

Last edited by Corky42; Today at 17:49.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:59   #7224
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.
 
Nexxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 31,108
Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlog View Post
If your definition of "the world" consists of 11 nations, then sure... Interestingly, the same survey (original) list UK as 10th for Healthy Lives ("mortality amenable to medical care, infant mortality, and healthy life expectancy at age 60"). So while it might be "efficient", the end result is not so good, to quote The Guardian - "The only serious black mark against the NHS was its poor record on keeping people alive".
Also, this survey places UK at only 14th in Europe, WHO ranking of 2000 places it in 18th, OECD - around 20th.
To be fair, considering its morbidly obese population with unhealthy lifestyle, and the financial constraints it works under relative to comparable European countries, it is doing rather well.
__________________
In memory of Kidmod-Southpaw (1997 - 2014), Teelzebub (1955 - 2016) and Waynio (1978 - 2016)

"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams"


Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 19:21   #7225
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]
 
theshadow2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,908
theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Indeed they are however what you say comes with consequences and for me the constant drip-drip of nationalist furor directed at anyone who opposes them is deeply worrying, that not how democracies are meant to work.

You may say it's the same old BS but it's really not, like i said it's one thing to attack other parties but when those attacks are levied at anyone who disagrees with you, including judges, the democratic system itself, and the public it's a very different thing, it may only be words but words have a tendency to turn into actions, authoritarian one-party states don't happen overnight.

They starts with thoughts that turn in to words, those words effect a nations mindset so the unacceptable slowly becomes acceptable, once somethings acceptable in peoples minds it's much easier to laws pass that reflect a nations mindset.
Speaking out against those you disagree with is a democratic cornerstone. No institution should hold special protection from scrutiny. It is all fair game. You are basically calling this a slippery slope and I'm calling BS there is no evidence of democracy being reduced. As I said come back when they have actually done something other than blow a lot of hot air.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 19:58   #7226
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,731
Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Speaking out against those you disagree with is fine and I'm not claiming democracy is being reduced, as well you know because you answered the first post i made on the subject where i said "It seems to want one though" that it appears to want to "silence any dissenting voices in parliament and the nation" and that speaking out means "being painted as traitors"

So at least do me the curtsey of addressing what i said and not what you think i said.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 20:36   #7227
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own
 
Risky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cornwall and London
Posts: 3,678
Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.
The daily mass l makes money by telling it's readers what they want to hear at the time. I don't buy the line that "the masses" are so stupid that they think or do what the Sun, Mirror or Mail tell them. When it was as clear that Labour was going to win in 1997 the Sun switched alliegence rather that order it's readership to vote against them. The press can influence but cannot control. Strangely those on the left have a very low opinion of the intellect of those they pull off to be concerned about.

I need to reread Orwell. I read most of his books as a teenager but it might be time to readers Inthe context of Corbyn
__________________
As a rule watercooling can be simple, affordable and effective... I guess I just like to break the rules.
Risky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 21:10   #7228
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.
 
Nexxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 31,108
Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post
The daily mass l makes money by telling it's readers what they want to hear at the time. I don't buy the line that "the masses" are so stupid that they think or do what the Sun, Mirror or Mail tell them.
They believe what the Sun, Mirror Daily Mail tell them. That's the pact: "Tell me what I want to hear, and I'll believe whatever you tell me". Why else do you think politicians keep such close relations with tabloid owners?

Why is the first step in any dictatorship to control the press?

“There are laws to protect the freedom of the press’s speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press.” --Mark Twain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post
When it was as clear that Labour was going to win in 1997 the Sun switched alliegence rather that order it's readership to vote against them. The press can influence but cannot control. Strangely those on the left have a very low opinion of the intellect of those they pull off to be concerned about.
The Sun switched allegiance because Rupert Murdoch became disenchanted by the Tory party's failure to carry on Thatcher's attempts to deregulate the economy. For the same reason he has been backing Brexit: he wants a deregulated UK economy.

An example of the sharp intellect of the electorate: most Leave voters are in areas which benefited most from EU funding and export most to the EU. Part of their motivation was to have EU membership fee moneys redirected to the NHS; a promise made by two politicians who were on record as wanting to abolish the NHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post
I need to reread Orwell. I read most of his books as a teenager but it might be time to readers Inthe context of Corbyn
Yes, I think that you should. Particularly his essay The Freedom of the Press:

Quote:
Unpopular ideas can be silenced, and inconvenient facts kept dark, without the need for any official ban. Anyone who has lived long in a foreign country will know of instances of sensational items of news — things which on their own merits would get the big headlines — being kept right out of the British press, not because the Government intervened but because of a general tacit agreement that “it wouldn’t do” to mention that particular fact. So far as the daily newspapers go, this is easy to understand. The British press is extremely centralized, and most of it is owned by wealthy men who have every motive to be dishonest on certain important topics. But the same kind of veiled censorship also operates in books and periodicals, as well as in plays, films and radio. At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed that all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to say this, that or the other, but it is “not done” to say it, just as in mid-Victorian times it was “not done” to mention trousers in the presence of a lady. Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising effectiveness. A genuinely unfashionable opinion is almost never given a fair hearing, either in the popular press or in the highbrow periodicals.
__________________
In memory of Kidmod-Southpaw (1997 - 2014), Teelzebub (1955 - 2016) and Waynio (1978 - 2016)

"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams"


Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.

Last edited by Nexxo; Today at 21:45.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 21:33   #7229
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own
 
Risky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cornwall and London
Posts: 3,678
Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
They believe what the Sun, Mirror Daily Mail tell them. Why else do you think politicians keep such close relations with tabloid owners?

Why is the first step in any dictatorship to control the press?



The Sun switched allegiance because Rupert Murdoch became disenchanted by the Tory party's failure to carry on Thatcher's attempts to deregulate the economy. For the same reason he has been backing Brexit: he wants a deregulated UK economy.

An example of the sharp intellect of the electorate: most Leave voters are in areas which benefited most from EU funding and export most to the EU. Part of their motivation was to have EU membership redirected to the NHS; a promise made by two politicians who were on record as wanting to abolish the NHS.
Do you ever talk to people who don't take the Guardian other than when ordering lunch or do you find them too stupid to deal with directly?
__________________
As a rule watercooling can be simple, affordable and effective... I guess I just like to break the rules.
Risky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 21:35   #7230
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own
 
Harlequin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Eastbourne ,East Sussex ,UK
Posts: 6,949
Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Its a circle - pre WW2 the economy was very `laissez faire`, and one reason Attlee was voted in in 1945 and that is exactly what Murdoch wants,
__________________
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them
Harlequin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 21:42   #7231
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.
 
Nexxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 31,108
Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post
Do you ever talk to people who don't take the Guardian other than when ordering lunch or do you find them too stupid to deal with directly?
Do you always project your patronising attitude on those who you disagree with or should I feel special?
__________________
In memory of Kidmod-Southpaw (1997 - 2014), Teelzebub (1955 - 2016) and Waynio (1978 - 2016)

"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams"


Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bit-tech breakfast thread, brexit means breakfast, derailment: the thread, fear mongering!!, findyerdummies, god save the queen!, grow up people, i'm not f**ked, immigration, internet fight, jesus christ this thread, jesus this echo chamber, little britain, nexxo needs to stop, nexxo versus, no we are not all f**ked, remoaner circle jerk, someone is obsessing!!!, storm in a teacup, unicorn fetish, we totally are f**ked, were all f**ked now, what is the eu?, wheres walle's breakfast?, 3.50 to the nhs!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:56.
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.