1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Extreme interview preperation

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 20 Oct 2014.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I've recently been offered an interview to a job that could potentially be my dream job.

My application I applied for three different roles as a trainee/graduate entrant (I'm confident but I want to be realistic) after completing the online security, maths and other tests I recently got invited for an interview.

It means a 140 mile drive to the main office for a 8:30 start that could last around four hours! :jawdrop: This includes varied interviews and further tests including security and drug.

How prepared can I be? I need this to go EXTREMELY well

I'm piecing together a document folder to take with me to contain the following:

CV
    Transcript
    Award certificates
    Degree certificates
    Interview questions (for me to ask)

Along with that I'll be of course testing myself with common interview questions to get my answers straight. I'm confident with the idea of a personality test. slightly more worried about the technical elements

would it be completely unusual to bring examples of degree work with me? (Diagrams to help with explanation)

Does anybody have any advice on what else I should prepare in advance?

I'm concerned being too over prepared may give off the wrong impression

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Without giving too much away, what sort of field is the job in?

I would stress the need to seem relaxed and at ease before the interview panel, as I am of the view that this will enable the panel to have confidence in you.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If you can afford it, Go down the day before and stay in a hotel.

That way, you'll turn up at the interview NOT looking like someone who has been up since stupid o'clock.

This will also allow for your satnav being "wrong" :D

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

As Ian says, book a hotel and go the day before. You will not be at your best otherwise.

There is also no such thing as 'over-prepared' for an interview. The more prepared you are, the more competent you appear and the more likely you'll get the job! And if I were the one interviewing, I would expect you to bring examples of your work with you - so bring your uni work! Bring a laptop if you can just in case you need to show something on it.

Lastly, a bit of advice that I think is very important but probably a bit demoralising. DO NOT EXPECT THIS TO BE YOUR DREAM JOB! I made that mistake with my last job - ended up hating it! Very happy where I am now though!

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Do some research into the company that you're interviewing with. The number of interviewees I've seen who know absolutely nothing about our company is ridiculous :D

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

^^ Definitely this +1

A few questions for you to ask the company:
    • What is an example of a client challenge your company recently faced?
    • Where do you see the company going in the next 5 or 10 years?
    • What is the question you really want to ask me, but haven’t?
    • What impact would I have on the team if I got hired?
    • What would make someone really successful in this role?
    If you've done your research, ask something about a particular product or service that the company offers.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Prepare for all the usual nonsense HR questions. "Whats your greatest weakness," "if I rang your boss what would he say about you" Do a search for touch interview questions. Run through appropriate answers, be able to adapt them to the situation.

Technical jobs are not only about the technical stuff so don't jut brush up on the technical.

Last edited: 21 Oct 2014
  8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Without enough info I can give you 2 advices:
    1. Confidence. Show that you know what you're talking about, LOVE what you know, and really, it'll be in the employer's benefit to hire such awesome talent. (Obviously, don't be a snob about it either...)
    2. Interest. Show them you're interested in working for them. Heck, tell them it's your DREAM JOB. Be passionate about the position. Show how much you really want it. If there's anything you missed from the requirements, promise them that you'll do whatever it takes (training, self-study, certification, etc.) to get it done YESTERDAY. Ask them about the job, the company, the work. Show your appreciation and enthusiasm for the job.

Ok, I got 1 more actually.

Smile and enjoy it :) Being frustrated and flustered makes you prone to small mistakes. And interviewers always remember mistakes.

9. jebk

jebk What's a Dremel?

I'd actually disagree with that, I've been on selection panels before where the prospect is rather obviously over prepared, or at least has clearly memorised some responses to questions they want to reel out. You absolutely don't want to sound scripted, at best it will sound a bit odd, at worst you'll answer the wrong question.

Also, don't be afraid to ask about accomodation/travel costs. Every interview I've done has had those covered, and my applications to grad schemes (admittedly 10 years ago) all included the night before in a hotel. If you don't want to broach the subject directly you can easily ring and enquire what hotels they recommend locally and if they have a corporate rate with them. If the offer to pay is there that should entice it out. Definitely don't get up at 4am to go down.

Take your certificates etc with you, but don't take them into the interview, you'll have no where to put them and it will be awkward. You should know your CV inside out and upside down and the interviewer will have a copy. If you really want to take something, get an A5 moleskine/leucterm etc, do your interview prep in it so it doesn't look too empty and use the pocket in the back to hold your CV in.

If you can do a disc profile (or at least read up on it so you know where you'd be) it will give you some great ideas for things to talk about in terms of what are your weaknesses type questions. Whatever you do though, don't talk mention that you've done one. You want to come across as self aware and open to development but not overly procedural about things.

Lastly I'd recommend you listen to some of the podcasts on interviewing that are kicking around. I subscribe to manager tools, who did a great series some time ago on interviews pick as appropriate from here:
    http://www.manager-tools.com/get-answers?search=interviews&f[0]=bundle%3Apodcast_item&f[1]=im_field_content_domain%3A4

Good Luck!:thumb:

10. DeadP1xels

Lots of fantastic advice in here guys, puts my mind a little at ease

Definitely one of my main concerns is seeming scripted, I don't want to appear like I've just memorized my answers to typical questions and would rather approach them with some form of instinct.

It would be nice for my project to come up. I know I can speak confidently and passionately about what I did and hopefully my awards on the CV might open that up for discussion.

I just want to go with what's necessary but not turn up on the day feeling like I could have brought a lot more with me.

11. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

First as mentioned there is nothing like over prepared, my god some of the candidates I have had to interview over the years!

Has the company told you if its a values / competency based interview? If so do some research on the company core values and have a think of scenarios where you demonstrated them.

I understand your concerns about being robotic, so rather than transcripts, condense down points in your prep and be able to adlib around them. Just make sure that you havent steered a million miles off topic. (I tend to do this!). Also when asked a question dont just chomp in with the answer, take a second to compose yourself also let the interviewer finish their question before you answer. I find being interrupted like this rude and wont stand for it.

Another tidbit, never just say no in an interview. This came from a friend of mine after I filled him in after my first ever interview. One of the specifics I was asked about VOIP telephony which at the time I had never used in my life, so I answered no I know nothing about that. When I told my friend after a head slap he explained never say no. Think about what you are being asked, yes you may have never used it but what do you know about it, make sure you show that even if you dont know something you are enthusiastic to learn about it or draw parallels. I have experiences that specific tech however I know about this one here which to my understanding is similar etc.

The last ones subjective., i dunno if any of the other people that have to hire would like this. I recently had a candidate come in for a 1st line helpdesk role. My colleague had conducted the telephone interview and this person was firm favourite. During the interview it became apparent that their tech knowledge wasnt up to par however their manner in the interview and simply the fact that they actually took notes themselves in the interview so that they could go and read up on it afterwards blew me away. Showed to me real commitment / ambition to better themselves. It was enough for me to offer them the role.

(Which they accepted, however unfortunately the actual line manager made a complete balls of that persons ob-boarding and they were asking about notice periods within a week and left after only one month :( )

Sorry for the wall of luck, best of luck!

12. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

I think everything has already been mentioned, but my two cents on the most important details

- Research the company / department (if you know that) - The amount of people who don't do this is amazing. This is a bare minimum and is expected but will act like a very good differentiator especially if you can add some analysis and critical thinking to the company / industry.
    - Show Passion in the industry - Researching the company will help. Relevant projects help too
    - Be Logical - With technical interviews as nimbu touched on, they don't expect you to know everything but they do want you to think logically through something.
    - Ask questions - An interview is a two way thing now a days. The questions you ask can give you as much credit as the ones you answer. It also helps show passion and interest in the company and the industry. You can prepare some of these before hand.
    - Take a breath - If you pause and consider your answer, it will be noticed and you will come across as considered and logical. It also helps to relax you.

There are a few industry specific things (possibly) as well so that would help if you can provide the industry at least. eg Engineering it is very good to be up with the latest technology, and they also expect you to have at least a little commercial / economic awareness now-a-days. So for the job I currently have in Oil & Gas they actually asked me if I knew the price of oil per barrel, among some other tougher commercial / economic questions.

Hopefully that is some help. Good luck!

13. DeadP1xels

Thanks chaps,

Really putting my mind at ease, I've gathered and printed the relevant documents.

I'll collect a few pieces to refer to in case my project comes up, PCB designs, code snippets and such just as something to offer if it seems appropriate to bring out.

I'm just working through common interview questions and typing out various answers, more as a way to engage my brain and really get in my head the sort of things I should be saying, these will only be used before the interview to adlib to and not in site during.

The kickers like:

'Tell us about yourself' - I want to refer to my education, why I went from a foundation degree to a bachelors degree (Allow me to gather foundation interdisciplinary knowledge in computer science and electrical engineering - referring back to the job desc inadvertently) but avoid spending too much time on 'Why this particular subject?' when it might come up later. I fear I may start repeating myself else and that could be a never ending spiral of BS

'Why do you want this job?' - Also a big one I need to have a somewhat concise answer but something I can let free flow. I want to show I have actual passion and not swinging in the dark hoping for something to just work in my favour.

'An example of teamworking?' - This is something I've got a good example for only recently from work. Again just how I'm going to phrase it on the day.

I'm doing a little bit every other night. its more a way to pick my own brain and realize why I want this job more than I want the money now.

14. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I've got a phone interview tomorrow for a temporary job, but it's in the field I want to work in, and they give me lots of necessary training, so quite nervous. I already know what the questions will be about, and have relevant answers. Just hope I get to the next stage

15. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

When is your interview? If you want to have a mock call I would be happy to do this. Interviewing and assessment centers is an area I have a fair amount of experience in.

Also I would highly recommend looking at some generic interview questions found here on Business Balls - I have used them at interviews before and the impact of them was and is amazing.

http://www.businessballs.com/interviews.htm#jobs interviews tips for interviewees

Some notable questions:

"Of the main priorities and expectations attached to this role, which ones are well understood and measurable, and which are not?" (then explain how you could help understand and add measurements to those that are not)

"What is the balance of priorities for this role - short-term efficiencies and performance, or longer-term planning and organising?" - I BEG YOU TO USE THIS QUESTION - it is one of the single best generic interviewee questions.

"If someone were to come into this role and begin to make a significant impact on culture and morale, what sort of changes would people you want to see most, and how would this be measured?" - Use this if you think you have nailed the interview, personally i think it trends the confidence vs. arrogance line very well.

Good luck

PS. Get the hotel.

16. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Remember, when talking about team working, use "I" not "we" - the interviewer(s) are interested how you worked in team and what you contributed to make the team successful.