1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Few Issues re: mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by olimorgan, 17 May 2010.

1. olimorgan

olimorgan What's a Dremel?

Hey

Just built a new system. Got it all working with no major issues. Suddenly it died and wouldn't turn on. After phoning overclockers they reckon mobo packed up and have accepted it back for testing. Got a few questions now.

1.) When/If I get a replacement mobo of the same type will I have to reinstall windows etc again or will the HDD not notice the change.

2.) Do I need to replace the thermal grease on the CPU and cooler?

3.) Is there a way to attach a 3 pin Sharkoon Silent Eagle fan to a 4 pin mobo header so that the mobo can control the fan?

Thanks

2. shah

shah Minimodder

Well if it is windows 7 you might get away without re-installing, otherwise I would think you would have to re-install.

Yes. Clean the CPU and the Cooler properly. Re-apply the thermal paste.

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

1.) if its the same mobo then no change is needed slightly different model i think you should be ok maybe some driver installs needed

2.) yep you need to remove the CPU and cooler before you send the mobo back and apply new thermal paste when you get it back

3.) not really cause the 4th pin is PWM which the 3-pin fan simply does not have it

4. olimorgan

Windows 7 64 bit. That would be good. Took a good 10 hours to transfer all my files, music, games etc from old one though at least I have a back up of it all.

Any recomendations. It came pre applied with Arctic cooling MTX? I used to use arctic silver but its been 7 years since last build so not sure if there is anything better these days.

5. olimorgan

Just had an email from overclockers saying they are happy to replace mobo - very impressive customer service! So fingers crossed have it working soon.

As above does anyone have recommendation for thermal grease and if there is so no way to make mobo control fan is there a way to increase the speed of the fan (SHarkoon silent eagle 120mm) manually only it is turning really quite slow and since it should be quiet even at speed be nice to fun it faster.

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

7. shah

shah Minimodder

8. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

what RPM is the fan turning at?
    is the silent eagle the 1000 or 2000 model?
    do you have fan control enabled in BIOS anyway?

9. olimorgan

I don't know the exact fan speed as I can't plug it into mobo (fans 3 pin and mobo 4 pin) but you can clearly see the blades whereas the rear fan (coolermaster one that came with case) is a blur and moving much more air whilst still being quiet.

It's the 1000 model. I did have fan control on in the bios but have only one system fan header and both fans are 3 pin.

Looking at the Zalman Fanmate 2 mentioned above. One for each fan plus p+p still comes to less than £8. Just not sure whether my fans are within the boundries in terms of wattage and voltage.

10. olimorgan

Comp all working again and din't need to reinstall or anything. Something in mobo blew, glad I didn't try overclocking it yet.

On that subject my temps for cpu are 40 at idle and 65 under load when running prime 95. That doesn't seem to leave me much headroom for overclocking. Or is this normal?