1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs What I'm Playing - Blood Bowl Legendary Edition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 17 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Despite its occasional eccentricities, I rather liked the original Blood Bowl computer game. The races all had their own characteristics, so every game had different challenges, and the sense of humour and style fitted the world of the ultra-violent American Football game. Best yet, it brought back memories of playing the board game on which it's based. Legendary Edition adds 11 new races to the game, plus new pitches, rules and a Story mode, so I got myself a copy a few weeks ago...

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2011/02/17/blood-bowl-legendary-edition/

2. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Not played the Legendary Edition, just the original on the Xbox 360 which i picked up for cheap for the same reasons as you (loved the boardgame which I still have and loved the idea of a violent rugby game)

Personally I always play with Elves, a bit stuck up but their long game and speed is brilliant, you just cant afford to take too many injuries.....
    I also play it as a turn based game, like the boardgame

On a side note, as the touchscreen revolution is in full swing ive thought the Warhammer universe/games would be ideally suited to gaming on a touchscreen/tablet, especially in a multiplayer fashion across a touchscreen table...

3. Palmski

Palmski What's a Dremel?

I have Dark Elves edition and played as Chaos, lots of fun there once you've levelled up a bit.

What is the point of Witch Elves? Try playing *against* them and you'll find out soon enough. Jump Up to start with is a great skill and horrible to play against with their great long game.

Agree that having played the original table top game the real time version of the game has remained completely untouched for me, why did the devs even bother with it?

I haven't played in ages though, my team got halfway through the campaign and was just beating the snot out of everything so it became a little tedious, and I just don't like gaming online where by all accounts there is a lot of fun to be had.

4. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I can't get the hang of real time mode either.
    have the dark elves edition. Personally I love my dwarf team <3. They are slow, but if I hit something, it stays down. (plus I got really lucky with a runner, and he got 2 +mv upgrades, so he's now almost as fast as a skaven runner :D)

I do plan on getting the legendary edition at some point. (hope the discount for owning the first one still applies)

One thing I would be really interested to know is: Does it still only have about 4 lines of dialogue from the commentators? as while funny, they get old fast.

5. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Just as Palmski says Dark Elves can pack a hell of a punch, I really don't like playing them.

I'll stick with my Skaven team though, the mutations make for some very interesting tactical options and the Rat Ogre is there if you need a bit of extra muscle.

@Kiytan - Try a Skaven runner with +2 MV, it's obscene!

6. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

I love the Warhammer universe, which is why I bought the original game, but when I got into warhammer the blood bowl had been discontinued, so never got a chance to play the board game. The PC game is fun, but I know nothing of American football, so without tutorials, I quickly became fustrated and left it alone. If I could find some game and strategy advise I might pick it up again.

7. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

They've added a load of new dialogue - some of it sounds a bit different to the original, but there's new lines to chuckle at.

Tbh, I always think of BB as more like chess with fighting than American HandEgg. Best tip is to do the things that can't fail first - move players that aren't in tackle zones to areas they're needed, for example. Then do anything you're reasonably confident you'll pull off (Blocks with 2 dice or more, dodging tackles with your high Ag players) then do the risky things like throwing the ball or 1-die blocks.

If you're playing against fast opposition, always try to have someone with high Ag mark (stand next to) them, even if they're prone, and especially if they're Catchers. If you're the fast team, avoid fights and keep your guys away from their guys.

Good luck!

8. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I can't stand the turn-based version, I find it almost impossible to get anywhere.
    Real-time though, I kick ass.

9. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

The clan im in has a BB and BB:LE league, if any of you guys want to join in, play with us, or see us about being part of our next league send me a message, the more the merrier :)

10. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I got invited to the beta tons of times but never gave it a try maybe one day I'll try it.

11. DaBigDog

DaBigDog What's a Dremel?

This game is soo frustrating, with a little bit more love and attention to detail it could have been a classic. I'm surprised GW signed off such a below par rendering of their classic, but it's out of their eye line nowadays which maybe explains it.
    I still found myself playing it for ages though, but releasing the extra races and a couple of modifications as a new game was disgusting, maybe as a £10 DLC I would have bought it but there's no way I'm paying in full again.
    - Skaven Cheesecake

12. Palmski

Palmski What's a Dremel?

There is a 33% discount for owners of the original game. Personally I won't be getting it as I became bored of the original a long time ago but if you're still playing it then it might be worth it.

13. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Legendary is a must edition for any fan of this game - there is one hell of a lot more teams and it really improves the game. There is a dedicated community for this game and anyone who fondly remembers the board game will love it.

Never touched real time and I would say neither has 99.9 % of the community - turn based is where its at.

With regards to the price do not worry about the discount I am sure you will get i brand new boxed game for about a tenner from the usual online retailers. Bargain.

If I had not discovered Eve I would be playing it now.

As it it I read bit tech in the Eve in game browser...

14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I haven't played this, but have been tempted to check it out if I can find it for cheap.

The fact that they made BB gives me hope that they might make Necromunda.... I'd buy that in an instant.

15. cornelius1729

cornelius1729 What's a Dremel?

Even better: Warhammer on a Microsoft Surface. It's the future for sure.

16. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

I too have the original Blood bowl on the pc, and play turn-based. I still haven't tried it real-time...

Wood elves become an exceptional team after they start getting star-player points. Every player except the treeman can get block and dodge easily, and with great speed and agility 4 throughout it's easy to level up every player. Catchers start with movement 9, and wardancers with movement 8 and block and dodge are incredible for pressing the opponents ball-carriers and gaining possession. Wood elves' speed more than makes up for their frailty, though it can be depressing when your star war dancer gets mangled. :/

17. Noztrill

Noztrill What's a Dremel?

recently picked this up for 8 usd on steam....
    i like the warhammer universe (40k more so).
    this game is sooo infuriating that i created an account just to warn people that even at 8 dollars i hate with great passion this game. i really just needed to vent, i want to put my foot through my 46" screen. i've already smashed a keyboard, im sure the mouse is next. "well noztrill its cause you don't know how to play blah blah." maybe if this was the board version i wouldn't be so irate but im pretty sure the random is crap. is there rubber banding? i feel like if i break away and score, the computer on the next run will let nothing absolutely nothing go my way.i watched for (no joke) 6 turns on both side fumble because i was nurgle and had foul presence or what every the computer couldn't pick up the ball, but no matter how open my chars were, they kept fumbling, i don't think elves have a similar trait, i im pretty sure its horse ****, oh this ended with and elf picking it up among 5 or 6 bubbles of foul presence i believe a -5 or -6 modifier and running it in wt holy f. "thats all i blah blah blah" no theres lots more of hokey crap like that all the time it NEVER ENDS!!!! even on easy this happens. "oh maybe you should stop playing single player" probably right but if this is how things roll now how am i to expect i will beat players who froth at the mouth for this game. its amazing how quickly this game will **** on your head and laugh in your face there will be no indication. its about as much fun as being drug through broken glass balls first. save 8 bucks and just smash your head against a belt sander with broken glass and barbed wire for sand paper and you'll feel better too!!

18. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

Bearing in mind this is a "rolling dice" based game, where "rolling" a 1 always fails and 6 always succeeds, means there is literally scope for anything to happen, regardless of the possibilities. As someone who has played the board game for years, then the steam version (both versions) since there release, I can agree where you're coming from.

HOWEVER.

Blood Blood touts itself as a "rollercoaster of emotions" which it absolutely is. There are things you can do to "improve" your chances of something succeeding in game, or to support yourself should your plan go titsup, but ultimately you can only influence the percentage of an outcome (dice roll), you cant decide it fully.

Some games you "play" well, but nothing works for you. Other days you will seem to be able to pull anything off, no matter the odds. Thats the nature of rolling dice, and thats the nature of blood bowl.

The combination of tactics and only being able to "plan" to a certain extent adds to the unparalleled satisfaction that can be had from playing this game when something goes outstandingly well. However, "foot through the screen" syndrome is also part and parcel of this too.

Myself, i absolutely love it. It gets the blood pumping when its going great, i absolutely hate it when its going bad, but theres many MANY moments that leave you gasping "wtf how did that happen", just like the board game.

Heres some screenshots from my clans internal league in relation to "worst injuries sustained in a game"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mind you, there is a screenshot kicking around from only a few days ago that shows a guy getting 6 6's in a row, so its not all doom and gloom :)

C

19. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Playing this game without frustration requires you to fully understand the rules the game is using. Basically to get the most out of it, have fun and not become frustrated you need to read the Blood Bowl Competition Rules cover to cover (preferably twice).

http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/58520/Blood_Bowl_Competition_Rules.pdf?t=1296853431

Also the official forums have a lot of help for new players struggling with the AI.

http://forum.bloodbowl-game.com/

Tags: Add Tags